Gendered Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyGirlMoo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I'm not sure why, but I've been super aware of the colors of my Little items in relation to gender norms, even when I regress. I just bought a new (totally awesome!) Nuk sippy cup that's blue with elephants on it! But there seems to be some part of me that says blue is for boys, and as a little girl I need pink and stuff. I like pink, don't get me wrong, but I also love blue and green too!
Anybody else find this, even occasionally, or is this just my crazy brain again? Hahaha

It took me a while go get past gendered colors, but I have pretty well done it now. I have 3 pink cloth diapers, and a fluttershy stuffed animal and t shirt. I am a boy, and consider myself the same, but dang, I just enjoy myself some pink stuff, I just find it cute. I think that it is normal to have issues with having things that don't match your gender colors, but in all reality, it is most natural to not gender a color, since gendered colors are actually a result of socialization. I think it would be good for you to pick whatever color you like, and stick with it.

Actually the colors used to be reversed. Blue was for girls and pink was for boys. I'd have to look, but I am not sure why it was switched.

Gender norms limit people. I love purples n pinks and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Oceltot said:
Actually the colors used to be reversed. Blue was for girls and pink was for boys. I'd have to look, but I am not sure why it was switched.

Woah, crazy, I found a quote on it.

For example, a June 1918 article from the trade publication Earnshaw’s Infants’ Department wrote, "The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl." Other sources said blue was flattering for blonds, pink for brunettes; or blue was for blue-eyed babies, pink for brown-eyed babies, according to Paoletti.
http://www.fastcodesign.com/1672751/how-pink-and-blue-became-gender-specific

Oceltot said:
Actually the colors used to be reversed. Blue was for girls and pink was for boys.

Yes. This stereotypical colour assignment could've also ended the other way around. Funnily, besides what Tyger already quoted, it's kind of unknown too why it ended up the way it is now. The coulors have simply been defined like this one day in a children's clothing company, so it says the myth. And everyone did just follow this convention.

Doesn't matter that much however. Stastically, among favourite colours of boys is namely red and pink as often as blue and green for girls.

I like white and purple the most. I loved orange, besides white, the most as a child, but it's somehow hardly suitable these days. ;)

Oceltot said:

Ohh yeah, I remember seeing that in one of those random fact / TIL things.

Gender colors are a pretty interesting phenomenon. I'm a guy and blue has been my favorite color my whole life. Although I only realized it was my favorite color within the past year. I have no idea whether it's actually my favorite or if I've been indoctrinated, lol. I like pink (and most colors for that matter), but it's just a little too bright for my tastes.

As far as little me goes, I prefer the same colors.

Big me loves any colors. I'm female and appreciate any colors respectively. My favorite color is pink, however and it comes out in both little and big mes. But... When I'm little I'm very gendered in the colors I play with or wear. My friend wanted to buy me a blue sippy cup and I was surprised when I exclaimed, "blue is for boys!" I think it comes from the way I raised. I was raised in a very gendered household and I think my little side still believes that to be a reality. I want to get more blue toys/bottles but just like any kid I always use my favorites which tend to be pink :paci:

I can't find my source at the moment, but my understanding is that the pink is for girls shift happened during the 1930s and 1940s as a combination of new marketing by companies and consumer trends toward buying pink for girls. Or, in other words, people tried putting out pink for girls, parents bought it in large numbers, and it stuck.

Personally, I really like purple (it's my favorite color), but I don't much like pink or light blue. Navy blue is great though.

When I was in high school, I had a pink button down shirt that I loved, and no one ever made fun of me for wearing it.

If I recall from reading history, red and pink were little boy colors because red represented the blood that was shed in the many wars. So many males were raised to be soldiers, that dying and bleeding in battle was an accepted norm. I'm glad it's changed.

I like the color 'wood' :) That is, I really like the way woods like walnut look.

Blue is another color that I have liked ever since I was young. I'm partial to blue pants, blue shirts, blue ties, etc. (not blue shoes! :) )

But, when I am little, I identify has a female and then I like pink for just about anything.

Well originally children just wore plain white dresses for both genders, it is said that when gender colors were introduced into children's clothing light blue was chosen for girls as to replicate the virgin Marry and pink for boys as it is a lighter color of red, a color associated with war. Why the colors changed no idea although these two things might have had an effect. During WW2 the Nazi's made homosexuals wear a pink triangle on their arm so they could be identified so i have heard and also it is of note that in the far east pink has always been a color for females so perhaps some influences form there crept over.

Yeah, it's super strange. My big doesn't care about gendered colors and is just as happy with something blue as something purple (pink never really been my thing, although I do sometimes wear pink, etc). But my little side is super aware of it. I don't know if it's subconcious from growing up or what, but it's almost a fear I won't be my Daddy's little girl or something if I have a blue sippy. I've even made him tell me it's okay over several things, and it kind of makes me feel better, although sometimes I still notice it.

well I just love all the bright colors, pink, blue are very nice, but I really love pastel colors they used in the 80s. my favorite is pastel baby blue. :cloud9:

personally I'm a fan of gender neutral colors...(anything besides pink and blue)

ArchieRoni said:
Personally, I really like purple (it's my favorite color), but I don't much like pink or light blue.

THIS! SOMUCHTHIS! although red is a near tie, I find it hard sometimes when shopping for small things like sippy cups/bottles/etc cuz it's all the same colors and I want my purples n reds. I agree that gendered colors are silly, colors are just colors and some appeal to people more than others :p (btw would love a purple theme for ADISC if any site peoples are reading this :p)

Being a boy, I'm not ashamed to say that my favorite color is pink. It has always been pink. All my friends and family know it is too. There's nothing wrong with liking what you like. Colors are colors, I've never thought them to be gender specific. 😊

I get where you're going with this. I'm sometimes the same way.

Sometimes "pink is for girls, blue is for boys" in little mode. It's one of those random things for me, and is kind of out of the ordinary. Normally it's the same as when I'm not regressing (or whatever) though: the idea of gendered colors is nonsensical. I just chalk it up to environment (the nurture bit of nature vs nurture).

As for what I tend to like in little mode... a mix of all of them :) I like pastels of green, yellow, blue, pink, and purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back