Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: America becoming complacent

Default America becoming complacent

We read about Gun rights and how they want to take them away
    We read about how schools are allowing protesters to walk and desecrate an American flag
    We read about how terrorists are coming to destroy America
    We read about how the Muslims kill innocent people
    We elect politicians who corrupt the very offices they hold
    We cry for change and when change happens we whine about it
    We as Americans are allowing this in our very community
    Iran about ready to wipe Israel off the map
    Corruption in the White House and Federal Govt
    We have read about FEMA camps
    The medical kidnappings of children by CPS
    The one thing I didn't mention is the equality of LGBT (I'm straight but if you want to marry someone you should be allowed)
    The "Christian Bakeries refusing service and the government say they have to, yet when " Gay" bakeries refuse a christian nothing is said. (My personal thought is if a business doesn't want to serve you they don't deserve your money)

As a Veteran of the military I see things that have happened and what is happening and what could happen.

I love America, I love the Constitution of the USA, I will stand to defend her against all enemies.

The one problem I see is We as a nation allow this. Back in the old days people rebelled and stood up for what they believe. We had the Revolutionary War, the war of 1812, the Civil War, we protected our freedom in WW1 and WW2,

Now in the information age. We just rant on the internet, Facebook and other media sites, saying "oh we should do this or that" or "that's wrong we shouldn't support it" (yes I know I'm preaching to the choir and myself here)

Have we lost the nerve to stand for what is right? Or are we waiting for someone else to do what we know we should.
    I'm sad America really sad. Wake up before its to late

You sound like me when I was 27.
    In fact you sound like me now that I'm 67.
    The point is to never quit preaching.
    VOTE! And don't be shy about writing to those who represent you. Do it in long hand. They figure if you take the time to do it that way it must be important.
    But most important don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonelyandconfused View Post
    We read about Gun rights and how they want to take them away
    I read about 20 first graders and 6 teachers/staff massacred with an assault rifle at an elementary school and Congress does nothing to make it harder for maniacs to get guns, while a student can't even bring a peanut butter sandwich to school because if another kid with allergies to nuts eats it, he could die.

We read about how schools are allowing protesters to walk and desecrate an American flag
    School protest has a long tradition in this country, as it should. The flag is not a holy symbol and thus, cannot be desecrated. It can be disrespected, which is an act of protected political speech under the First Amendment.

We read about how terrorists are coming to destroy America
    They're not. They're more interested in getting the USA out of their own homelands.

We read about how the Muslims kill innocent people
    So do good red-blooded Americans with their guns. So do overzealous police who are terrified of black men. So do drones piloted by Americans who bomb an entire building and kill everyone inside just to nail one terrorist. Murder is not a predominantly Muslim pastime, and it's grossly Islamophobic to just lob this out there like it's an indisputable fact. 1.7 BILLION Muslims out there, the overwhelming majority of them aren't killing innocent people.

We elect politicians who corrupt the very offices they hold
    This one is true, but most of us are afraid to vote for people who aren't part of the corporatist duopoly.

We cry for change and when change happens we whine about it
    Most people don't want change, they want to go back to the way things were before their privilege was challenged, before uppity minorities started demanding their rights be respected, before unions fought tooth and nail for things like the weekend, a 40-hour work week, benefits, a living wage- back before the New Deal and regulations that helped to create a thriving middle class.

Iran about ready to wipe Israel off the map
    No they're not. Iran has not threatened Israel and couldn't carry it out if they did. Israel has nuclear weapons and has indeed been threatening Iran, and their Prime Minister spoke before Congress urging the US to reject a deal that would prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon. Netanyahu offered no alternative other than continued saber rattling and war.

Corruption in the White House and Federal Govt
    Name it.

We have read about FEMA camps
    On InfoWars or David Icke's website. In the real world they don't exist.

The medical kidnappings of children by CPS
    You mean the 17 year old from Connecticut who has a 95% chance of surviving cancer but who was choosing instead to not undergo treatment? This wasn't a case of someone who was terminal.

The one thing I didn't mention is the equality of LGBT (I'm straight but if you want to marry someone you should be allowed)
    Well, gee, thanks.

The "Christian Bakeries refusing service and the government say they have to, yet when " Gay" bakeries refuse a christian nothing is said. (My personal thought is if a business doesn't want to serve you they don't deserve your money)
    Have you forgotten? No, perhaps you don't remember or weren't alive when businesses refused service to blacks, or had separate drinking fountains. Or said that it was "against their religion" to serve an interracial couple. Perhaps you don't realize the amount of money all taxpayers spend just to provide business owners with a chance to offer their goods and services, make a living, and provide jobs? No, of course not. You don't get that it's not about the business owner or their religion/bigotry, it's about the public, and if the public is supporting you through infrastructure, fire and police departments, public works, and so on, you don't get to refuse members of that public because your misguided interpretation of Christianity or other religion tells you. A business is not a church, and there are religious exemptions for churches and clergy in civil rights laws (you couldn't force a Catholic church to hire a Jew to be a priest, for example). But people fought and bled and died for civil rights, among those the rights afforded by public accommodations law, and it's sad to see people thinking we don't need them and scary to see that people think that some groups don't deserve the protection those laws provide.

I love America, I love the Constitution of the USA, I will stand to defend her against all enemies.
    I want to love America, but I can't.

Not while we don't have true universal health care.
    Not while we have an epidemic of police brutality and violence.
    Not while we have the drug war.
    Not while we have more people in prison, per capita, than many of the countries we are told are despotic regimes.
    Not while we back Israel to the point where they feel they can wantonly slaughter Palestinians without consequence.
    Not while our foreign policy is conducted at gunpoint.
    Not while we have a horrific wealth divide and a minimum wage that doesn't come close to a living wage.
    Not while we give tax breaks, subsidies, and incentives to the wealthiest while we cut aid to the poor, food programs, education, and demonize people on public assistance.
    Not while we bail out bankers who screwed people over on their mortgages and crashed the market.
    Not while higher education is treated as a profit mill instead of something that could benefit this country greatly in terms of advancement, technology, and science.
    Not while we lead the world in citizens who really believe that anthropogenic climate change is a 'hoax'.
    Not while we lead the world in preventable gun deaths because "muh rights".

We are a nation madly in love with the idea of our own glorious, stupendous, flaming death, so much to the point where if we can't get into a war of mutual annihilation, we'll just form our own suicide pact based on rabid consumption and warped interpretations of the Constitution, combined with a healthy dose of IDGAF about the rest of the world.

I can't love that country. I'm sorry. I just can't. And yes, if I could have emigrated to a better country, I would have by now.

I'm sad America really sad. Wake up before its to late
    It is too late. We're past the point of recovery. The America you describe is one I and many others don't want to go back to, and there are just as many who do want to go back. We're hopelessly divided. I wish I could say otherwise, but it's the truth.

The problem as I see it is never changed.

I like to listen to 'old time' radio and the PSA are of the exact same nature as the "issues" of today.

The story is the same, but the title has changed.

I think one of the best examples I can see today is to watch "Ziegfeld Follies" with James "Jimmy" Steward.
    In one of the early scenes the recruiter is coming into the building and a lady stops him and says "your office has called several times". His response is "what is so important that it can not wait until I get back to the office".
    Today he would answer the cell phone and hold everything up while he talks to whom ever.

A lot of what was mentioned in the list is things that have been complained about before, and will be complained about again.

Like Ringer said Go out and vote.
    But vote on the issues and not just the rhetoric.
    Vote on the issues/stance and not just empty promises that could not be fulfilled.
    Vote for someone who is explaining there views and not the one that can tell you everything negative about the other candidate.
    Write your representatives and newspapers, do not just complain.
    Talk about the issue at hand and not just whine.

Very well put Egor.

Add to your movie list "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" also with Jimmy Stewart.

Maybe I was ranting about some things. If I offended anyone I apologize. I was only commenting on what I see.

Maybe I was ranting about some things. If I offended anyone I apologize. I was only commenting on what I see.
    Its okay, I do that sometimes too, plus we have free speech so we have the right to say or do things that are offensive to other people.

Have we lost the nerve to stand for what is right?
    No! Not at all. And that's the problem. Most of us are perfectly willing to stand up for what is right but, at this point in American evolution, we are lacking common sense so we don't really know what is right. Common sense does not necessarily mean intelligence. It mainly refers to the thinking that people have in common.

Do they want to take our gun rights away? Yes they do! They also want to remove restrictions so it is easier to obtain more guns and more powerful guns. How can they be so self contradictory? That's easy. They lack common sense. What's really scary is 'they is us'. Yes, we do cry for change and then whine when it happens. But isn't that a perfectly natural state of affairs in the absence of common sense?

Common sense isn't the affirmation of my beliefs. It is the set of beliefs held in common by 'we the people', and we need to rediscover this common ground in order to build upon it to address the requirements of our constantly changing environment.

A few thoughts:

1. Idle hands are the devil's workshop: Once you're beyond subsistence level economics, there's spare time. Time for diapers, time for drinking, smoking, inventing new and different ways to stimulate your pleasure centers, and entirely too much time for navel contemplation. Like this thread in particular, and this forum in general

2. When you don't wake up every morning wondering where your next meal is coming from or which top predator is lurking behind that rock waiting to sink its teeth into you, you tend to lose your edge. Sort of like the Blackhawks D with Crawford in net. For as long as there have been civilizations, they grow, conquer, prosper, get soft, and fall to the younger, hungrier set of barbarians on the outside looking in.

3. Your best chance of survival as an individual it looking at the news of the day with a jaundiced eye. Broadcast news is crap, internet news isn't much better. You can't learn anything significant in 140 characters. Keep your own edge, both physically and mentally. You almost certainly need some specialized skills to get along in a modern economy. At the same time, its wise to keep generalized knowledge, D-I-Y skills, and physical ability up to snuff in case things around you go kerflooie.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I think the best thing you can do is think about what you see. Where are you seeing it? Do the people presenting you information have their own agenda? How did they learn what they're telling you?

Personally, I don't agree with a lot of what you said. But that's fine, we can investigate or compare notes. The important thing is to not just assume that you're right.

If you are right, think about what can you do to make things better. Complaining is one way, actually, since you raise awareness of issues. But volunteering is better. As a veteran, you have a lot of standing in your community and you can find problems and volunteer to help make them better.