my current situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

saix

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hello again everyone its been quite a while since my last post so since a few things have changed and I have a few questions I decided to make another post.
I am still trying to deal with urge incontinence and fairly common pelvic pain
in an average day Im having between 3 and 7 accidents a day even if I go every hour and Im getting instances of pelvic pain at least once a week often more. pelvic floor exercises and changing diet have failed to work and as mentioned in the past medication also failed.
All of my tests have shown little to nothing although my ultrasound showed that my bladder does sometimes have liquid in it post void.
My urologist has diagnosed me with unstable bladder however I am still on a waiting list for urodynamics that could take until november.
Ive been having some problems dealing with things lately. I recently experienced my first accident in public and that was probably the worst night of my life.
Ive been finding myself getting a little depressed about things as well this has been going on for a while and as such its gone from frustrating to upsetting in many ways.
in the very near future later this week or early next week Im going to start wearing "protection" to try and manage the incontinence.
This does however raise a few questions.
one of my first questions is "are pullups generally an option in regards to urge incontinence?" Ive heard people talk of pullups leaking from urge incontinence and being told that tape on continence aids are usually better. it is worth noting that my incontinence can sometimes be very heavy
while i imagine tape on products to be bigger and more noticable i can see upsides such as not having to remove ones pants to change which i can imagine being very difficult in a public restroom. a concern regarding tape on products would be that Im still able to make it to the bathroom fairly often so Im unsure if Id be able to untape and then retape to urinate normally.
the second question that i have is an unusual one but im wondering if it would be allowed for an incontinent person to use a disabled bathroom to change themselves. as I mentioned before I can imagine trying to get changed in the stall of a public bathroom especially with a pullup to be very difficult so Im curious as to whether using a disabled bathroom to change would be acceptable.
The products that I use are most likely going to be of the brand "Lille" most likely pullups but perhaps tape ons so if anyone knows anything about Lilles products especially the pull ups id really like to hear it if Im in australia so the range of products i can get is rather limited the local supplier mainly stocks Lille at a reasonable price and while they have said that theyd be able to try and order in other products im not sure if the price would be worth it
I will still welcome any advice regarding brands or experience with different ones especially if anyone suffering from urge incontinence could perhaps let me know how pullups have handled it in the past.
I want to quickly note that my local supplier is offering decent prices whereas the prices at local pharmacies have been shockingly high for what they are offering.
Since this will also be my first time wearing "protection" for my incontinence Id also really appreciate any advice in general regarding the use of continence aids my knowledge on them is basically zero so any tips any help really would be very good.
While the continence aids will probably help me with the loss of urine and allow me to leave my house again it would seem that I am stuck dealing with the pelvic pain so id also appreciate any input in regards to that.
If anyone wants any additional details I have posted here in the past several times and Ill answer just about any question about my situation so feel free to ask.
I apologise for yet another enormous post but I would really appreciate any answers to any of my questions or any input in regards to what Ive mentioned
questions are once again welcome as are opinions, statements, advice.
Thankyou in advance for any replies

I'm in an almost identical situation. I have OAB and Urge incontinence, in the beginning I started wearing pads, moved on to pull-ups, and eventually ended up in a tape on diaper.
Pads and pull-ups are for light incontinence, where urge incontinence usually involved flooding when you have an accident. Moreover if you have to change and you wear pull-ups, you have to remove all of your clothes, whereas when wearing tape on diapers, you just slide a new dry diaper between your legs.

Therefore I'd recommend tape-on diapers, remember you can get them i various styles and thichnesses, you don't have to go with the most bulky diapers. Tena basic and tena slip are fairly discreet but can still handle one or two floodings.

NotTheAverageMan said:
I'm in an almost identical situation. I have OAB and Urge incontinence, in the beginning I started wearing pads, moved on to pull-ups, and eventually ended up in a tape on diaper.
Pads and pull-ups are for light incontinence, where urge incontinence usually involved flooding when you have an accident. Moreover if you have to change and you wear pull-ups, you have to remove all of your clothes, whereas when wearing tape on diapers, you just slide a new dry diaper between your legs.

Therefore I'd recommend tape-on diapers, remember you can get them i various styles and thichnesses, you don't have to go with the most bulky diapers. Tena basic and tena slip are fairly discreet but can still handle one or two floodings.

my only real option in terms of brands is Lille the local supplier deals primarily in them and has packs of 20 for 30 dollars whereas every pharmacy in town seems to exclusively stock tena pullups at shockingly high prices

The Lille website would suggest that the pullups at least at the lower end have a slightly higher capacity then the tape ons at the lowest end so id assume that the pullups fare far worse when dealing with a large amount all at once?
thanks for your reply id appreciate any other replies to my enormous post

Go on amazon or other sites you'll find them cheaper than shops
And yes to other question as you need some where to change in private and if any one challenges you ,say do you want e change a poopy diaper in public even though you don't poop

parcelboy2 said:
Go on amazon or other sites you'll find them cheaper than shops
And yes to other question as you need some where to change in private and if any one challenges you ,say do you want e change a poopy diaper in public even though you don't poop

amazon is not an option for me as I live in australia most online retailers arent worth it in this situation
the supplier i have spoken to is what i will most likely use they are close by and have decent prices

saix,

Yes, almost all medium-grade taped diapers far outperform pull-ups for anyone with moderate to severe incontinence. From your description you do not have light incontinence, so you should try taped diapers.

Also, yes, you can use handicapped restrooms.

I am double incontinent (bowel and bladder) and have written a 40+ page article "An Introduction to Adult Diapers - Their Selection and Wear," which now is posted on four Web sites. You will find that it answers most of your questions. It may be found at the URL below:

http://www.incontinentsupport.org/Introduction_to_Wearing_Diapers.pdf

Good luck!

--John

jdinvirginia said:
saix,

Yes, almost all medium-grade taped diapers far outperform pull-ups for anyone with moderate to severe incontinence. From your description you do not have light incontinence, so you should try taped diapers.

Also, yes, you can use handicapped restrooms.

I am double incontinent (bowel and bladder) and have written a 40+ page article "An Introduction to Adult Diapers - Their Selection and Wear," which now is posted on four Web sites. You will find that it answers most of your questions. It may be found at the URL below:

http://www.incontinentsupport.org/Introduction_to_Wearing_Diapers.pdf

Good luck!

--John

Oh this was unexpected
thankyou very much ill have to read this later
I really appreciate the help
as always anyone is free to post id like to hear as many opinions as possible

Go with premium level 4 diapers from Abena or another reliable supplier, stay away from depends as they do not have the same absorbency as Abena's get some samples and see how they fit but don't go with a cheaper diaper as you get what you pay for, I tried and ended up throwing out several test bags of diapers as they were not great and leaked.

Taped diapers are the way to go in your situation they have been proven to be perfect for my issue I tried to go back to a Abena pull up but it could not handle my floods

Rob110 said:
Go with premium level 4 diapers from Abena or another reliable supplier, stay away from depends as they do not have the same absorbency as Abena's get some samples and see how they fit but don't go with a cheaper diaper as you get what you pay for, I tried and ended up throwing out several test bags of diapers as they were not great and leaked.

Taped diapers are the way to go in your situation they have been proven to be perfect for my issue I tried to go back to a Abena pull up but it could not handle my floods

i appreciate the advice but once again Lille is my only real option in terms of brand anything else would be both hard to acquire and more expensive whereas I have a supplier close to me who has a large stock of Lille products
Due to what ive heard I will most likely end up using tape on Lille products but I really cannot acquire anything like Abena
regardless please keep the replies coming i really do appreciate them

I too have urge incontinence and find that tape-on diapers are what I need to contain the large amount of urine that I sometimes pass uncontrollably. I am not familiar with Australian diaper sellers, but I believe I have seen reference to at least a couple of Australian companies that sell adult diapers online. I agree with others that Abena Level 4s would be an excellent choice for you and think you will find that you can get them in Australia.

Inconinmiss said:
I too have urge incontinence and find that tape-on diapers are what I need to contain the large amount of urine that I sometimes pass uncontrollably. I am not familiar with Australian diaper sellers, but I believe I have seen reference to at least a couple of Australian companies that sell adult diapers online. I agree with others that Abena Level 4s would be an excellent choice for you and think you will find that you can get them in Australia.

buying online is not currently an option
i would really appreciate input on any other part of my post but the only brand i can reliably get it is Lille
I have another question if anyone would be able to answer
"is it generally possible to untape a diaper to urinate normally and then retape it for later use?" I ask this specifically because many people have said that tape ons are the way to go however i do frequently urinate normally once again any responses to any questions or any advice in general is very welcome

Last edited:
Tapes can be refastened. I do it all the time if the diaper is too loose. And using the handicapped stall to change your diaper is fine too. I do that almost everyday.

My mom worked in a nursing home and home health.. With the pull ons take leg one and slide the pull-up over the shoe and stuff up the pants leg. For the next leg stuff that side down the pants leg and then hook it around the shoe. Assuming that you have your pants at the ankle

thanks again for the replies
if anyone has any advice regarding pain and discomfort id also love to hear it
the last two days have been particularly bad with both pain and discomfort
I have no idea whats causing either but the pain is usually a sharp pain in the genitals or the lower abdomen above the genitals I also get aching in the lower abdomen as well so I imagine it might be the bladder
On bad days with the incontinence and pain I sometimes experience the discomfort as well. the discomfort is difficult to explain but the closest way that I can think of is that it almost feels as if Im urinating constantly which is of course very very uncomfortable.

it would appear my retention might be worse than I remember I found the report from my last ultrasound and it listed my bladder capacity at 650ml and the post void amount as 270ml
that being said I wasnt well on the day and had to wait a very long time for my appointment
still this is a little worrying

Saix, two option: 1) reinforce the tapes with duct tape. Then you can slide the diaper down over your hips and back up when done. 2) Another is to pull the penis under the leg gathers to pee, never undoing the tapes.

I'm double incontinent and wear 24/7.

--John

So yet another tiny update
I am seeing my doctor tomorrrow along with my supplier either tomorrow or the day after
in the meantime Ive been stuck with depends realfit which are terrible they took a fairly small wetting well enough so I thought "maybe these wont be too bad" that was then ruined by me having 3 accidents today that resulted in 3 leaks due to depends being unable to make a product that can take more that a drop of urine while seated
depends seem to be obsessed with making a product thats as similiar to underwear as possible but even on that front they fail it doesnt look like underwear it looks like someone glued a waistband onto a diaper it still looks and feels just like a diaper except it cant function as one
I assume most incontinent people dont care about how their underwear looks too much as noone will be seeing it however I assume many people would see an enormous wetspot due to a leak
I am very much looking forward to seeing my supplier so I can try a brand that has a chance of working which will in this case be lille
anyway enough condemnation of depends for now
this coming weekend may also be my first time going out with friends in a very long time so wish me luck with that as well
I continue to welcome any posts and would very much appreciate any advice opinions or questions

Im going to be switching to a different brand within a day or 2 I just wanted to show my distaste towards depends awful products
im still encouraging any posts as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back