Thread: Janis Ian: At Seventeen

Default Janis Ian: At Seventeen

I just saw a quick readout that it was Janis Ian's birthday a few days ago. She wrote one of the most beautiful and heartfelt songs about being 'different' at a young age and not fitting in with her peers. The song 'At Seventeen' is a beautiful and aching reflection from a woman who found her own strength and endured the bullying and loneliness and went on to become a famous artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhFn...i5FoSMSO6AUNd1

I just thought I'd post it after listening to the song again this morning. I'm sure a lot of people here can relate to similar experiences. It's a bit of nostalgia but let me know what you think of it.

The thing is, at 17, pretty much every teenager feels that way from time to time as they try to sort out their place in the world. The reasons differ, but the feeling is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    The thing is, at 17, pretty much every teenager feels that way from time to time as they try to sort out their place in the world. The reasons differ, but the feeling is the same.
    I completely agree, but the feelings are just so eloquently expressed in this song. Beautiful melody, beautiful spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    I completely agree, but the feelings are just so eloquently expressed in this song. Beautiful melody, beautiful spirit.
    Saw a video of an early performance of this on Netlix... she was musical guest on one of the earliest SNL episodes. Might even have been S1 E1. I can't look that up from here as this ancient computer (actually firefox crashes, but I'm starting to think its hardware related) chokes on anything with video.