Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tornadoes

Default Tornadoes

Yesterday was a nervous time for those of us living in northern Illinois. For some, to the far west and northwest of Chicago, it was a life-altering disaster. Tornados traced a long path of damage across the state from Rochelle almost to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.

Storms had been popping up all over northern Illinois, and most of us were glued to the radar all day to see if something more serious than lightning, hail, and downpours was headed our way. I did an outside walkaround a bit ago, and the Maxx home seems to have escaped unscathed.

Most of the tornado(s) path was farmland, but Rochelle sustained heavy damage and half the small town of Fairdale was leveled. Amazingly, I've heard of only one human fatality. A farmer lost a couple dozen cattle. That could change as they sift through the wreckage. I'm sure that the surviving residents would appreciate your prayers. If you're of other faiths and non-faiths, good vibes and/or positive spells work too.

I've been to Rochelle, for one of Junior's wrestling meets a number of years ago. If I'm remembering correctly, their gym has purple plastic bucket seats instead of bleachers. Complete with cupholders and armrests like you'd find in a big league stadium or arena. I understand the Home of the Hubs is still standing, and was used as an emergency refuge last night. There are a lot of warehouses in town, as its a major intermodal hub.

There's a diaper angle to this as well. Last night I wondered briefly how I'd feel if my diaper stash were strewn across the neighborhood. I didn't do anything about that, but I did move my external hard drive to my basement fire safe. I expect that would survive just about anything, with all my critical data, photos, and music collection intact. Yeah, its watertight.

News reports in the light of day brought me to further introspection on disasters like this.

There's a complete loss of privacy and personal space. All your stuff is at least temporarily unavailable to you, if not destroyed or distributed all over town. Neighbors, even network TV audiences are peeping into your personal life. That was brought home by the TV coverage this morning. Camera crew in the street, pointing their weapon at a large house. Damaged, but still upright. A tall, thin, man with a footlong gray beard emerged, his disjointed scarecrow-like stride carrying him to the road past the crew. He extends a middle finger as he continues out of view. The camera pans back to the house, focusing on bright green spraypainted letters on the wall "Live monkey, second floor". My mind explodes with possible stories about what goes on in that house. People who don't play well with others often move to rural places where there aren't so many...others. I stop when I consider that "there but for the grace of God..."

Apparently emergency teams spraypainted a number of houses when they came across animals they didn't have the time or means to deal with. "Live dog, first floor", I imagine Junior's dog in that situation. Wisely, he left her with me for the day in advance of the storms so she wouldn't be home alone. She's big and scary looking, part pit bull, but largely a lapdog who's skittish about storms and strangers. How would she react to a stranger in a hard hat and raincoat bursting in after she's been scared witless by wind, rain, and lightning? Would she attack... or would she hide in silence until a bulldozer finished the job?

I guess I better stop before this gets moved to the story section....

/
    Last edited by Maxx; 10-Apr-2015 at 14:00.

It is a good story, a good first hand account of the tradgedy. Glad you're OK. I imagine if your stash was strewn all over the neighborhood, you could claim it wasn't yours. Or, as we like to say here, "I'm IC. So?"

Better a monkey than a lion.

I watched one one year touch down behind my house, it was interesting to watch, because it formed from the ground up. There was also one that hit the movie theatre I work at now. An air conditioning unit went through our box office. There was also a girl working a restaurant next door that decided it would be a good idea to chase after an umbrella. She got outside realized what she was doing, then ran back in.

I read the reports on that Tornado yesterday. I am praying for those families affected by the destruction. Losing possessions is 1 thing losing a life is much worse thank God that the loss of life wasn't higher.... Although even 1 life lost is still a tragedy.

I guess its the person in me but I want to be able to chase tornadoes and extreme weather. Its simply amazing what nature can cook up with sometimes devastating force and power.

BTW its was a good detailed story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonelyandconfused View Post
    I read the reports on that Tornado yesterday. I am praying for those families affected by the destruction. Losing possessions is 1 thing losing a life is much worse thank God that the loss of life wasn't higher.... Although even 1 life lost is still a tragedy.
    Sadly, death toll is now up to two. A woman was found in her bathtub, often touted as the next best refuge if you don't have a basement.

I guess its the person in me but I want to be able to chase tornadoes and extreme weather. Its simply amazing what nature can cook up with sometimes devastating force and power.
    People often make fun of or deride storm chasers. However, one of yesterday's victims praised them. She said a couple carloads of stormchasers arrived on scene within minutes (well before first responders...) to help her and her family out of the wreckage of their home.

Its sad to hear about the 2nd person.... What a horrible way to die. Let's pray that there are no more.

As for the chasers its a wonderful thing to hear about assistance they provide after the aftermath. One if my favorite chasers is Reed Timmer and I know he stops and helps those in need.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    There's a complete loss of privacy and personal space. All your stuff is at least temporarily unavailable to you, if not destroyed or distributed all over town. Neighbors, even network TV audiences are peeping into your personal life.
    /
    This was really well said. I get this sensation, too. I believe that people who experience robberies - even if they are unharmed and have insurance to pay for stolen items - report feeling like their personal lives were invaded and that they feel that their belongings are no longer so personal and "theirs". Something they owned and was not stolen may look and be the same, but it's tainted by the idea (true or not) that a stranger scrounged around in it or touched it. The loss of privacy is often ignored in tornados because so many other factors are so big - loss of life, injuries, destroyed homes and businesses. I think that when it's all said and done, when people recover from an injury and get their home rebuilt and refurnished, they'll probably always be stuck with this uneasy sensation that their possessions "aren't really theirs" and may at any time become a public display. Even if they are not ashamed of their possessions, it must feel so exposing and leave people feeling helpless even after the main problems have been solved.

It must have been horrible. They just showed a clip on the news of a huge transport truck getting uplifted and turned over. It makes you realize just how frail we really are in the face of nature.

Glad you're safe, Maxx.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 11-Apr-2015 at 00:11.

The storm reports always distress me because I know some people will lose everything they own, and some will lose loved ones. I'm glad you and your family are okay, Maxx. I'm sorry for those who aren't.

Tornados can be so scary. I hope the past week has been better for all. When I was in my early 20s I was working at the mall when tornados hit our town. It was extremely frightening. Shoppers were freaking out trying to find family members. Luckily the mall didn't get hit, but my brother's car was slide off the road like a toy as he was trying to drive home. He still gets really nervous during storms. I'll never forget those storm clouds rolling in. I hope you all have a safe summer!