There's always that one person...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am that person for myself...kinda depression actually.

BigKid25 said:
? Forgive my intrusion, but what kind of camp are you at?! I work at a Summer Camp for Boy Scouts and all of the things you listed right there make it seem like we're thinking of two totally different camps lol.

Nothing special, my camp I call where I'm parking my VW. Some part of ground somwhere... No scouts or similars.

I have quite a few of "that one person I can't stand, who always gets under my skin"-- in my own life. And lately I have been realizing that some of these people are genuinely people I absolutely should not be around. But others are people who get under my skin because they have the same flaws I have in myself that I hate so much. How can I deal with those flaws in someone else if I can't deal with them in myself? you know?

My grandfather is 'that person'. Sure, I love him to death, but he has a way of talking to people so that no matter what he says, it belittles them. He also seems to think that the entire world has to stop spinning to solve even the tiniest of problems. He also seems to have this super power of passing the blame to someone else so he is always in control but never responsible when something goes wrong.

BinkyBoi said:
I am that person for myself...kinda depression actually.

:(

- - - Updated - - -

Binky, if you ever want to talk, you are always welcome to send me a message. I go through cycles of depression, so while I can't say I have a instant cure, I do have ways of coping with it. And, the better equipped you are to deal with depression and its onset, the sooner its episodes will pass. Plus, sometimes just talking about stuff helps put life into perspective.

I'm here for you if you'd like.

- - - Updated - - -

puppyfat said:
I have quite a few of "that one person I can't stand, who always gets under my skin"-- in my own life. And lately I have been realizing that some of these people are genuinely people I absolutely should not be around. But others are people who get under my skin because they have the same flaws I have in myself that I hate so much. How can I deal with those flaws in someone else if I can't deal with them in myself? you know?

I actually read some article on the internet (I'm sure we all know how reliable a story is that starts with that sentence though lol) that referred to this psychological study of people that claims that people tend to absolutely detest people with the flaws they see in themselves because they are projecting their frustration with those shortcomings onto the other people subconsciously. The funny thing is, usually when I bring this up to people, they either find it to be an enlightening thought or they are vehemently against such a concept. I try to keep this in mind because, even if it's merely a placebo effect, it still provides insight and empathy into people you dislike the most (meaning they need it the most).

- - - Updated - - -

arcituthis said:
My grandfather is 'that person'. Sure, I love him to death, but he has a way of talking to people so that no matter what he says, it belittles them. He also seems to think that the entire world has to stop spinning to solve even the tiniest of problems. He also seems to have this super power of passing the blame to someone else so he is always in control but never responsible when something goes wrong.

Ugh, some people who are so stuck in their ways drive me insane. And the fact that its your grandpa makes it even worse because I'm sure no one wants to cross the line of trying to put grandpa in check (nor would they be able to when they're going against a whole lifetime of obstinate personality reinforcement).

I have a distaste for a lot of prominent furry artists for some specific reasons.

There have been many people in my life that are like that. As a side effect of dealing with a lot of buttheads in my time, I've actually come to learn how to read people from the onset; the way they carry themselves, how they talk, how they react to things, etc. This I view as a negative thing because I often feel like I'm judging someone too quickly. But not once has this system disadvantaged me. So many times I felt "that way" about someone I met, but decided to get to know them better on the grounds of being open and tolerant but I ended up looking back on those moments only to say "I knew it and I should've listened to myself earlier." As is customary with my style, if there is "that person" then I just avoid anything to do with them, period. And if I give the impression that I don't like them through my actions, then so be it. At least they know where I stand. :dunno:

KittyninjaW said:
Oh man, my brother is like that for me, I mean sure he can be nice at times, but other times, he can be annoying and rude. You said you don't deal with this person all the time, that's good, Because after you see him, you can move on with your life, I wish I could, Also How I deal with my bro is alone time, in case your wondering.

My own little brother and I are the same way.
We live in the same house.
I am 57, and he is 53.
The 2 of us have been under the same roof together since 1962.
There are times, when we piss each other off.
After all, he has had to live with an Asperger's Syndrome older brother who also has Mild Cerebral Palsy.
I myself deal with my brother with having a lot of needed "alone time" to keep my own sanity.

- - - Updated - - -

arcituthis said:

Sounds like my late Mom, who was a mentally-ill fruitcake.
There was nothing ever wrong with her.
When it came to "blame", she used me as her whipping boy whenever fucked-up things happened.

caitianx said:
Sounds like my late Mom, who was a mentally-ill fruitcake.
There was nothing ever wrong with her.
When it came to "blame", she used me as her whipping boy whenever fucked-up things happened.

I'm sorry to hear that. My mother was diagnosed with depression and later narcissistic personality disorder (ironically when we both went to a psychiatrist to find out what the heck was wrong with me). I wrote her off years ago and we haven't spoken since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back