Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: There's always that one person...

Default There's always that one person...

...that you just absolutely cannot stand, and I've definitely found my currently most disliked person. It's that person who, for some portion of your life and for a variety of reasons, just seems to always get under your skin even if they don't mean to. The one who you try to avoid for the most part but who will always seem to find you at your most frustrated moment to drop a snide comment or remark your way.

Even though I tend to preach tolerance and acceptance, I find the practice so much more difficult than the theory and it troubles me that I'm so bothered by this person and the way they interact with me because I should be able to just accept the fact that we disagree on a variety of topics and move on with my life. But, not agreeing and not getting along are 2 different things and there's something about this particular person that makes my blood boil whenever they direct a comment my way.

(For context, I know this person through Boy Scouts so I don't have to deal with them on a regular basis at all. Our only interactions are the occasional comments on FB and seeing each other at Scouting events.)

I am troubled by it because it's unnecessary for me to stress myself over something so minor. Therefore, I have tried to remove myself from any chance at contact with this person in the hopes that the distance will diminish the conflict. However, I feel as though this is an easy way out of the issue since I have been trying to work on my understanding and tolerance of others (especially those whom I strongly dislike).

Do others have that one person that they just absolutely cannot stand, or have you all found effective methods to deal with the person or problem in question?

I'm not necessarily looking for a solution, just insight into how others deal with people they don't get along with.

Oh man, my brother is like that for me, I mean sure he can be nice at times, but other times, he can be annoying and rude. You said you don't deal with this person all the time, that's good, Because after you see him, you can move on with your life, I wish I could, Also How I deal with my bro is alone time, in case your wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyninjaW View Post
    Oh man, my brother is like that for me, I mean sure he can be nice at times, but other times, he can be annoying and rude. You said you don't deal with this person all the time, that's good, Because after you see him, you can move on with your life, I wish I could, Also How I deal with my bro is alone time, in case your wondering.
    You're preaching to the choir on that one! Me and my brothers used to fight like cats & dogs for the longest time and we still occasionally have spats with each other. There's something about siblings that give them the ammo needed to know exactly what buttons to push. But, you're right, you can't exactly just move on with your life leaving your siblings behind (well, depending on the circumstances of course.)

When you say you have alone time, do you mean you just sort of distance yourself from your brother?

I go to my room in the evening, and get away from him, I also study and play games.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKid25 View Post
    ...that you just absolutely cannot stand, and I've definitely found my currently most disliked person. It's that person who, for some portion of your life and for a variety of reasons, just seems to always get under your skin even if they don't mean to. The one who you try to avoid for the most part but who will always seem to find you at your most frustrated moment to drop a snide comment or remark your way.

Even though I tend to preach tolerance and acceptance, I find the practice so much more difficult than the theory and it troubles me that I'm so bothered by this person and the way they interact with me because I should be able to just accept the fact that we disagree on a variety of topics and move on with my life. But, not agreeing and not getting along are 2 different things and there's something about this particular person that makes my blood boil whenever they direct a comment my way.

(For context, I know this person through Boy Scouts so I don't have to deal with them on a regular basis at all. Our only interactions are the occasional comments on FB and seeing each other at Scouting events.)

I am troubled by it because it's unnecessary for me to stress myself over something so minor. Therefore, I have tried to remove myself from any chance at contact with this person in the hopes that the distance will diminish the conflict. However, I feel as though this is an easy way out of the issue since I have been trying to work on my understanding and tolerance of others (especially those whom I strongly dislike).

Do others have that one person that they just absolutely cannot stand, or have you all found effective methods to deal with the person or problem in question?

I'm not necessarily looking for a solution, just insight into how others deal with people they don't get along with.
    Sorry that you are in this situation! I never use the word hate on someone unless i mean it. My moms ex boyfriend i saw red meaning rage just being around him. We almost got in a fight funny thing is i was 20 and he was in his late 30s and im 5/6 over 200 pounds and he is over 6 feet tall but when i turn into the hulk size don't matter

Quote Originally Posted by zackiepooh1992 View Post
    Sorry that you are in this situation! I never use the word hate on someone unless i mean it. My moms ex boyfriend i saw red meaning rage just being around him. We almost got in a fight funny thing is i was 20 and he was in his late 30s and im 5/6 over 200 pounds and he is over 6 feet tall but when i turn into the hulk size don't matter
    I can't even imagine the kinds of drama a mom's bf can bring into a household with a 20 year old son. I know if there was some guy trying to come into my house and start making themselves at home with my mom, I would be almost lookin' for a fight daily! I'm pretty hot headed too, which is why I try to remove myself from those kind of people if I can help it. Because once I start wailing on someone, there's not a whole lot stopping me (unless the other person knows how to fight), so I don't start.

An old friend I used to be close to but had to cut out of my life because he showed just how much of a prick he could be . Can't stand losing friends but it had to be done.

Life without a nemesis is dull and boring, a lesson it took nearly 50 years to learn. In my early life I let them make me miserable, it is a hard transition but you can learn to deal with them on your own terms.

When I was a teacher assistant, I ran into people I really tried to distance myself from. The worst were substitute teachers that would sit down with me at lunch. I also have a brother-in-law who is a very difficult person. He's weird, to be sure and still lives with his 93 year old mom. I have just tried to tolerate these people, but at the same time, spend as little time as possible with them. Avoiding them is an art.

I'm happy that I have weeded people like that out of my life.

I know 3 years ago, I had a college roommate who, let's just say was a pompous douchebag and a hypocrite. He constantly made fun of me behind my back (Dude, the walls are paper thin in this apartment. I hear every word you're saying about me). He refused to wear headphones when listening to music (and this asshole had the NERVE to complain that I'm being too loud), and he and his girlfriend had sex right with me in the room. I distinctly remember the girlfriend saying "Wait Asshole (I won't use his real name, so we'll just call him Asshole). We can't do this. Your roommate is right there." "Oh, he's per-occupied with other stuff. And if he does notice it, well, it's just Gsmax. Fuck him!" "Oh, you're probably right Asshole. I love you." After putting up with that for WAY too long and being unable to move into another apartment, I just packed up all my stuff and moved out. couple months before the semester ended. Never notified him or warned him that I was leaving. Just grabbed my stuff and never looked back. I'm so happy I made that decision and that I never saw that guy ever again or ever encountered anyone I loathed that much since.