Made my own flat terry cotton nappies (daipers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hales

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
DSCN1266.JPGDSCN1267.JPGDSCN1269.JPGDSCN1273.jpg
Hi All

After trolling the internet for cheap (relatively speaking) adult sized flat nappies I have decided that once you add postage into the equation the cost per adult nappy can become prohibitively expensive (nearly $Aus50 per nappy).
So this morning I decided to take myself down to the local haberdashery and by a nice size length of terry cotton and make my own. For me that was an easy bit of sewing for a nappy that ended up costing only $25 per nappy and a little time.
They measure 43"x43" after sewing and fit really nice.

Hales

Pretty nice what you can do when you have a sewing machine. When I am done with school and have a place to do it, I am certainly going to get a sewing machine and start going crazy with fun baby stuff for myself.

hales said:
View attachment 23760View attachment 23761View attachment 23762View attachment 23763
Hi All

After trolling the internet for cheap (relatively speaking) adult sized flat nappies I have decided that once you add postage into the equation the cost per adult nappy can become prohibitively expensive (nearly $Aus50 per nappy).
So this morning I decided to take myself down to the local haberdashery and by a nice size length of terry cotton and make my own. For me that was an easy bit of sewing for a nappy that ended up costing only $25 per nappy and a little time.
They measure 43"x43" after sewing and fit really nice.

Hales

I like that. Did you simply hem the edges to prevent fraying? And how did you fold the terry? Have you had a chance to test the nappy? thanks

Awsome looking, it's amazing what you can do with the power of a sewing machine and some very basic skill, I'm lucky to have access to both of those things.

Those are cute, wonder how absorbent they would be?

Terry makes a pretty good, absorbent diaper. I have used it a lot in the past. You can fold and pin it to fit snugly, and leak resistant.

The edges are folded and triple sewn to prevent fraying. As for testing them, well I am more so into the comfort factor rather then anything else. That being said cotton is rather absorbent. The fold that I am wearing in the pictures is a simple kite fold. The Internet is full of different types folding techniques.

- - - Updated - - -

Pins can get a bit uncomfortable when they break lose. I now have some snappys coming.

Very nice work! How long did they take to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back