Shower time - how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Carer
Hello! So I have a couple questions about showering and alternatives to showering.

I have noticed that since the hubs starting wearing diapers, he is showering less and less. It was a couple times a month, but now its at least once a week. The problem is the odor. Well that and the intermittent rash, although we keep him powdered with the medicated anti fungal, sometimes it crops up.
I am not sure why the aversion to showering, so I was wondering if anyone else has developed the same? Like does it seem like its too much of a hassle with all the undoing and re-padding?
Also is there anything anyone can recommend to use for those in between days? Because there are days when its been a week or so since last shower, that the odor is particularly strong, and getting close to put a fresh diaper on, can be a little hard on me.
He doesnt seem to notice the odor, so helping him understand can be tricky. But I have gotten him to agree to once a week.
I would really like to know if there is an alternative for him to use to clean up the diaper area with. Something easy that can be done fast. Wipes just dont cut it.
On a side note, what all do you do with the used diapers? Currently we have a plastic 13 gal kitchen trashcan in the bathroom, with a pop up lid (not the metal canister style). by the time its full, just openeing it will fill our bathroom and adjoining bedroom with the smell of old urine (it gets changed about once a week) is there an air freshener that is recommended? We are using lysol, but it is not powerful enough.
Any ideas on these questions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks much!

Reactions: Canadianfalls
My suggestion is to give your baby a bath. Make it part of the whole AB/DL experience. Babies need baths at least once a day, imo.

As for the used ones, I would empty the trash more often. If that's not possible for some reason, there are products like scented trash can liners, diaper pails and stick on deodorizers available almost everywhere you shop.

Well I shower up to 2 times a minimum daily and 3 times is the maximum I shower in a day. Usually once in the morning or before I go out, and another before I sleep.

there's honestly no fix to the stench other than proper hygiene. soap usually works

every morning as soon as im out of my night time diaper

A diaper wearer should be showering more than a non-wearer, certainly not less! Apart from the odor issue, it's a matter of personal hygiene. Timing showers or baths with diaper changes is not a problem usually. Myself, I normally shower at least once a day, or more if necessary (i.e. when it's hot and I get sweaty, or I don't feel clean for whatever reason). I *can* stay 2/3 days without showering if I'm not going out, but any more than that and I get really uncomfortable. Intimate hygiene is less of an issue for me as here in Italy we have bidets so I basically give a bath to my nether regions every time I change. I could never imagine staying an entire week in diapers - or even a few days! - without any form of washing! :eek!:

As for the used diapers, I'd suggest taking them out of the house as soon as you can, and if that is not possible you could get some smaller plastic bags to seal them up individually so the smell doesn't spread...

Last edited:
quattrus said:
A diaper wearer should be showering more than a non-wearer, certainly not less! Apart from the odor issue, that's a matter of personal hygiene. Timing showers or baths with diaper changes is not a problem usually. Myself, I normally shower at least once a day, or more if necessary (i.e. when it's hot and I get sweaty, or I don't feel clean for whatever reason). I *can* stay 2/3 days without showering if I'm not going out, but any more than that and I get really uncomfortable. Intimate hygiene is less of an issue for me as here in Italy we have bidets so I basically give a bath to my nether regions every time I change. I could never imagine staying an entire week in diapers - or even a few days! - without any form of washing! :eek!:

As for the used diapers, I'd suggest taking them out of the house as soon as you can, and if that is not possible you could get some smaller plastic bags to seal them up individually so the smell doesn't spread...

I do the bag thing. I use plastic grocery bags that I collect every time I go to the store. I shower daily. Ether once in the morning after changing out of my night diaper or at night before I put on my nighttime diaper.

Diaper wearer or not, there's really no reason to be showering so infrequently. It's just not very sanitary, and I can't imagine he smells very good at all - his whole body, not just his diaper area. Not to mention it's rather inconsiderate if he subjects others to his body odor. I'd say the minimum for a bath/shower would be every other day - that's what I used to do when I was younger but now I wash every day.

Let me add to the chorus of shower daily. There's no reason not to do it, it's good for health and hygiene. I shower in the morning after I take my nighttime diaper off. Occasionally, I'll leave my diaper on while I make breakfast, but that's an extra 30 minutes, tops, before I clean up.

I don't wear very often, & I shower twice a day. He should be showering at least once a day, to help clean the diaper area & help keep body order at bay.

For the used diapers, either get a diaper genie, or take out the trash once a day. I can't stand the smell of old used padding. I'll empty the can once a day, or at least every other day.

If he's getting BO bad enough. Just toss a bar of soap & deodorant at him & say; "You stink. Go shower."

You should ask him why he isn't showering daily o_O I'm kinda curious what's up with that.

I have oily skin, so I often shower twice and day, and would love to shower three times a day if that didn't seem excessive. I can't imagine not showering every day.

I would say that is task numero uno: "Why don't you want to take a shower every morning?"

Same with the trash. Once a week is not enough imo. Twice a week at least.

Unless you're living in a drought torn country, for goodness sake wash more. If you have a bath use it. Baths are fun and if he doesn't like showers then at least sitting his behind in a bath is going to be a huge improvement. And get rid of the trash daily.

I honestly don't feel this has ANYTHING to do with diapers. It just sounds like your husband doesn't shower nearly enough :p.

I always use wipes when I change than shower. I just clean my diaper area. I use a bucket to keep my used diapers in and put the lid over it. But I do shower about 2-3 times a week unless I sweat which is when it's hot out or if I had been out mowing or went swimming. I also use baby powder in my diaper.

Yeah, as others have said, definitely shower daily. I will always shower in the morning, and if I've worked particularly hard that day, in the evening before bed.

At least once a day; Also if I have a messy accident, I try to shower as soon as practical after that.

I shower every morning as soon as I get up and out of my wet night diaper, and a quick shower every night before bed after working all day and the evening at home, diapers go into plastic bag and tied tight no order problems at all.

I shower one time a day. I don't wear often as well... But hygiene keeps the odor away. Taking the trash out every other day is important. The longest I've waited was 3 days and by then it smelled bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back