DIY Diaper Pail for Cat Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtrabulk

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hi there,

I've been looking for a cheap diaper pail, and have found one for kinda free! We have cats, and the wife came home with that light litter. It was a huge bucket thing. Well, the container has an air tight hinged lid, and it works great as a wet pail. Half full of water it can hold
1 conture medium
1 medium birdseye prefold
1 large birdseye prefold
1 large overnight pullup
2 full length stuffers

Basically, 90% of my cloth stash! And, if smelly, I get a new one every 2 months. When done, I just recycle. Free pail! Rinsed with water and vinigar, then water and a bit of bleach. No offending litter oder.

I use a five gallon pail found in the paint section of Walmart. It works great and I bought it for something else and just used it afterwards. I think it is still under $5. I put baking soda in mine though. Put in a large box and it will last a month or two. Since I rinse out my cloth twice (wet, ring out, wet, ring out), they hardly have any odor at all. All odor seems to be absorbed by the baking soda. I just have to watch for mold and clean out the bucket then since I use no bleach.

I had a cat too and use the largest containers of kitty litter like you. Those containers are great for a number of different jobs and when your done - in the recycling it goes.

BabyDenise said:
I had a cat too and use the largest containers of kitty litter like you. Those containers are great for a number of different jobs and when your done - in the recycling it goes.

I have yet to need to recycle one. I always find a use for them. Also the smaller '2 galon pour containers" with the large caps are also very useful for other things

Though I will say, the lid on the 5gal's wont work very long and is NOT air-tight. The cat litter lids are often worse, and don't lock all the way around. (the ones at my store just lock on two sides)

bambinod said:
Though I will say, the lid on the 5gal's wont work very long and is NOT air-tight.

Agreed. The lids aren't water/air tight. However, for the things that I use them for, the lid are ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back