Thread: DIY Diaper Pail for Cat Owners

Default DIY Diaper Pail for Cat Owners

Hi there,

I've been looking for a cheap diaper pail, and have found one for kinda free! We have cats, and the wife came home with that light litter. It was a huge bucket thing. Well, the container has an air tight hinged lid, and it works great as a wet pail. Half full of water it can hold
    1 conture medium
    1 medium birdseye prefold
    1 large birdseye prefold
    1 large overnight pullup
    2 full length stuffers

Basically, 90% of my cloth stash! And, if smelly, I get a new one every 2 months. When done, I just recycle. Free pail! Rinsed with water and vinigar, then water and a bit of bleach. No offending litter oder.

I use a five gallon pail found in the paint section of Walmart. It works great and I bought it for something else and just used it afterwards. I think it is still under $5. I put baking soda in mine though. Put in a large box and it will last a month or two. Since I rinse out my cloth twice (wet, ring out, wet, ring out), they hardly have any odor at all. All odor seems to be absorbed by the baking soda. I just have to watch for mold and clean out the bucket then since I use no bleach.

I had a cat too and use the largest containers of kitty litter like you. Those containers are great for a number of different jobs and when your done - in the recycling it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyDenise View Post
    I had a cat too and use the largest containers of kitty litter like you. Those containers are great for a number of different jobs and when your done - in the recycling it goes.
    I have yet to need to recycle one. I always find a use for them. Also the smaller '2 galon pour containers" with the large caps are also very useful for other things

Though I will say, the lid on the 5gal's wont work very long and is NOT air-tight. The cat litter lids are often worse, and don't lock all the way around. (the ones at my store just lock on two sides)

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    Though I will say, the lid on the 5gal's wont work very long and is NOT air-tight.
    Agreed. The lids aren't water/air tight. However, for the things that I use them for, the lid are ok.