Bit of a clueless/newb question: Onesie fitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan09

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hey all!

So I was just curious, having never really seen anything that mentions this...I thought I'd ask: in general, how are onesies/diaper shirts/bodysuits/etc supposed to fit over a disposable diaper..?

I have just one plain white one thus far, and though I don't get to wear it much, I've always felt like just maybe the fit was somewhat off or something. Is it considered normal if small parts of a diaper happen to poke out from under the onesie itself? Or are they supposed to fit in a way that that isn't an issue? I can't figure out if I went the right route with the current size I have, or if I should have sized up or down perhaps.

For reference, the diapers in particular I'll wear under this particular onesie are bambinos and Northshore supremes. Thanks a bunch in advance!!

Last edited:
My diaper would poke out of the onesie I used to have. It still provided support and hid the top of the diaper perfectly fine so I didn't mind.

My onesie is the correct size and some diaper shows around the lower hip. I wear boosted Abena M4s but only a little on each side shows.

Depending on the shape and width of the crotch of the onesie, and the width of the crotch of the disposable, it is normal for a little to a lot of the disposable diaper to show.

What is of more concern is whether the length of the onesie is correct for your frame and intended purpose. Those of us who are medically incontinent, or who decide to use the diaper, need a fairly snug fit so that the onesie supports the increasing weight of the sagging diaper as it absorbs urine.

As you appear not to be wearing plastic pants over the disposable, should we infer that you are not using the diaper?

--John

I do use them from time to time. Truthfully the thing that prompted me to make this thread in the first place was a sort of lousy incident I had happened the other day--I had worn the onesie (size SM plain white one I bought from easyaccessclothing) along with a hoodie and some jeans, in a situation where staying discreet was very very important.

Wetting a fairly small amount for the FIRST time, I had two almost identical leaks that showed thru around the part of the onesie where I'm 99% sure the bambino I had on underneath was poking out somewhat.

Since this has never happened when I'm wearing just a diaper, minus the onesie (and since I don't wear the onesie too often anyways), I assumed it had something to do with the fit. I'm about a 28'-30' waist and it always seemed to fit me alright..but maybe I'm wrong?

Edit- oh! And no, I don't actually own any plastic pants, because since I usually have plastic backed diapers in the first place, and leaks haven't really been an issue in the past--they've never seemed necessary for me. Plus, ordering them with my living situation (currently in school living in a dorm/at home) always seemed like it would be too dangerous.

Sounds like maybe the onesie could be too tight if it is not allowing the Bambino to expand. Mine is too loose. It still covers the top but would be useless to help with sagging.

Dan09 said:
I do use them from time to time. Truthfully the thing that prompted me to make this thread in the first place was a sort of lousy incident I had happened the other day--I had worn the onesie (size SM plain white one I bought from easyaccessclothing) along with a hoodie and some jeans, in a situation where staying discreet was very very important.

Wetting a fairly small amount for the FIRST time, I had two almost identical leaks that showed thru around the part of the onesie where I'm 99% sure the bambino I had on underneath was poking out somewhat.

Since this has never happened when I'm wearing just a diaper, minus the onesie (and since I don't wear the onesie too often anyways), I assumed it had something to do with the fit. I'm about a 28'-30' waist and it always seemed to fit me alright..but maybe I'm wrong?

Edit- oh! And no, I don't actually own any plastic pants, because since I usually have plastic backed diapers in the first place, and leaks haven't really been an issue in the past--they've never seemed necessary for me. Plus, ordering them with my living situation (currently in school living in a dorm/at home) always seemed like it would be too dangerous.

Dan the most important measurement is the torso measurement. That measurement should be in the size charts.
You should get yourself a 96" cloth measuring tape to take this measurement.

Dan, some advice from someone who is double incontinent and obviously wears 24/7. As the diaper becomes heavier and begins to sag, the leg gathers will not fit as tightly around your thighs, thus increasing the likelihood of a leak.

I wear premium diapers for extended periods and rarely leak. When I need good protection with concealment for a social occasion, I tape the diaper snugly (and reinforce the tapes), wear plastic pants that fit well, then compression pants that keep everything in place and reduce sag, then a onesie on top. This combination fully supports the weight of a sagging diaper for 6 to 7 hours without leaks and also smooths out any bulges.:eek:

--John

I purchased a large onsie from babykins and it fit a little snug. The next time I purchased an XL and am hoping it will shrink if the first washing. I'm 6'1" at 185 lbs

dleon said:
I purchased a large onsie from babykins and it fit a little snug. The next time I purchased an XL and am hoping it will shrink if the first washing. I'm 6'1" at 185 lbs

Babykins will custom make onesies to your specks! I love the small onesie I ordered from Babykins but it could fit better on my body. Next time I place an order with Babykins I will have the onesies custom made for me based on what I need altered on the one I have. Then they will be perfect!

I wear one all the time while I wear diapers. I suppose it would come down to personal preference a bit tho I like mine good ad tight so as to prevent staging when wet. I would get wee bits of the diaper popping out from time to time but it's never been an issue,in fact I think it looks pretty cool especialy when wearing shorts :)

I am trying to find a onsie to fit, myself, but I would expect it to not cover the entire diaper, but be more like a wide 'strap' that supports it. Not that I really kno what I am talking about tho :D

I know wot Ya mean. It really boils down to the company that makes them then. Have Ya had a look on the site aww so cute, I think they mite be the look your after

You came to the right place, I'm a pretty skilled seamster and am currently in the process of making my first real onesie since I'm not paying an outrageous price for something that cost less than $10.00 to make but is being sold for $50.00, what a joke! In the past I have made a few makeshift onesies (out of shirts and diaper pins, a plastic trash bag even!), I'm not even sure if anything other than a bit of leg cuff and plastic should be showing. The purpose of a onesie is to not allow the small child get to their diaper (especially at nighttime or poocasso would make quite the mess), and for it to be easy to change said child if they wet or mess, that's the reason for the snaps. In reality, the only thing that should be showing is nothing, nothing needs to be showing, nothing should be accessible to the child, and if your following the logic of children's onesies, to an adult.

Hello All,

I got my oneise from Baby Pants on Amazon. They were the ONLY ones who had onesies in my size (4X). I would have preferred 5X, but 4X fits alright though. And for $40.00 to find something in my size I am VERY happy. Especially since the lady who altered the onesie in the My Crazy Obsession episode for me said she could make more for me but it "wouldn't be cheap". So I took a chance on Baby Pants even though there were some negative comments on Amazon and was happy I did.

I love the onesie. My only two complaints is the snaps are exactly in the crotch which is a bit hard for me to snap as I have a spinal injury making it difficult to bend over real far. The one I got in My Crazy Obsession the snaps were moved up part way forward to make snapping easier. Anyway, and the second complaint was the sleeves were a bit snug/tight around my upper arms (forget the exact name of the arm, the part where you flex and show your muscles). But I think the fit on the arms will fit better with use since I had only wore it once at the time. I think with wear the fabric will relax and fit much better over time. But I am happy with it none the less. For me I wear it mostly during role play.

I wear diapers 24/7 for bladder incontinence and for the most part don't have too much of a issue with leaks. When out I don't wait till my diaper is maxed out before changing so it rarely gets to the point of leaking. But I wear the onesie with the Abena level 4's as they can get quite heavy when nearing compacity and would slide off my back side without support under it's weight. So I have found the onesie useful in supporting a heavy diaper.

I know some swear by plastic pants, but they just create too much heat for me over a plastic backed diaper. And my issue isn't leaks when in public, my issue is the plastic layer and the inner layer coming unglued and the diaper fluff inside spilling out. About a year and a half ago or so I was just arriving to do some food shopping at the supermarket when walking up to the door all the fluff in the back of the diaper fell out. And to make matters worse it was windy which blew the fluff all over. And so now in front of this busy store everyone was pointing, looking and some laughing. It was horrible. But it taught me NEVER to rely on store brand diapers anywhere else but home. So now when I go out I wear a Wellness Briefs Superio. Not only do I end up with more compacity but I also can trust the much better made diaper to not fall apart on me.

-Baby Stanley

fwiw, I've bought TWO onesies and both of them didn't fit. I'm unfortunately rather tall and that causes difficulties. The shoulder-to-diaper-bulge is just too far for any of them to go. Remember to order larger than you might think you need, because those lower snaps have to make it around a diaper bulge, and you really need to avoid compressing your diaper if you don't want it to leak when laying down.

bambinod said:
fwiw, I've bought TWO onesies and both of them didn't fit. I'm unfortunately rather tall and that causes difficulties. The shoulder-to-diaper-bulge is just too far for any of them to go. Remember to order larger than you might think you need, because those lower snaps have to make it around a diaper bulge, and you really need to avoid compressing your diaper if you don't want it to leak when laying down.

This is very much true I'm beginning to think. The specific onesie I ordered said that they were designed to 'accommodate' a diaper--but I'm skeptical. And truthfully, they fit me perfectly from the waist up. Sort of like a T-shirt that is just loose enough without being huge.

One thing I did notice yesterday was that the small 'leaks' I've been having with the onesie on isn't actually a leak at all! It took a bit of detective work, but I realized that the issue was that the outer edges of the snapped up onesie was actually getting ever so slightly tucked/bunched up against the leg gathers of the diaper underneath, and somehow wicking wetness from the inside. This only seems to happen when I'm wearing jeans over it, and moving around a lot.

Edit- it also might be a bit of an issue that medium sized bambinos are very very close to be considered 'too big' for me. A size small would probably be perfect, but since that's not a thing, I've just been going with the slightly larger fit of the mediums and hoping that since bambinos run a bit smaller than advertised, it continues to work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back