Any ways to strengthen the sides of pullups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leicesterfan

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I really love the goodnites diapers but I can never seem to get them on without the sides tearing. I was wondering if anyone had come up with a way to strengthen the sides whilst putting them on? Once they're on they fit fine (well they're tight but not to the point of tearing)

I used to cut slits in the stretchy part so it would stretch further. That was with the Walmart brand.

There is a guide to how to cut them to fit better some where on this site.
Also I know that with baby pullups you can put staples in the sides to help, not sure if it would help tho with goodnights.

leicesterfan said:
I really love the goodnites diapers but I can never seem to get them on without the sides tearing. I was wondering if anyone had come up with a way to strengthen the sides whilst putting them on? Once they're on they fit fine (well they're tight but not to the point of tearing)

Have you bought them recently? I have a 38" waist and 44" hips, and the latest GoodNites L/XL pull right on without any trouble, no pre-stretching required. The elastic has gotten pretty amazing!

But! They still ride low and all. I don't find them to be all that usable with the crotch being as narrow as it is. Guy bits.

If you've got the older, less-stretchy kind, one simple solution is to just cut away the bottom couple of inches of elastic on each side, leaving a narrow "belt" of elastic along the top. With the larger leg holes that this creates, it's often possible to shimmy into them. This is what I used to do:

attachment.php

Even more elaborate cutting is possible if, for instance, you want to wear the S/M Tinker Bell ones or something.

Cottontail said:
Have you bought them recently? I have a 38" waist and 44" hips, and the latest GoodNites L/XL pull right on without any trouble, no pre-stretching required. The elastic has gotten pretty amazing!

But! They still ride low and all. I don't find them to be all that usable with the crotch being as narrow as it is. Guy bits.

If you've got the older, less-stretchy kind, one simple solution is to just cut away the bottom couple of inches of elastic on each side, leaving a narrow "belt" of elastic along the top. With the larger leg holes that this creates, it's often possible to shimmy into them. This is what I used to do:

attachment.php

Even more elaborate cutting is possible if, for instance, you want to wear the S/M Tinker Bell ones or something.

Thanks for the tips, I will give them a go.

The trouble I have when I make a small tear at the bottom of the elastic is that as I pull them up my legs they just tear further. I too have a 38" waist but my thighs are the problem. When I pull them up and they tear to leave a narrow strip at the top, it doesn't give enough support to the leg cuffs and they leak much easier.

Hopefully though if I try the 'biggest' method from the linked image that might still support the leg cuffs enough

leicesterfan said:
Hopefully though if I try the 'biggest' method from the linked image that might still support the leg cuffs enough

It's a Hail Mary, and gives you a string bikini look. You have been warned. :) If you haven't tried the "bigger" method, do that one first. Support-wise, it'll be much better. You shouldn't end up with a tear in the middle if you're careful with the scissors.

If you're getting gaps through the crotch, though, then you may be having the same problem I always have. For me, it's not a matter of support. Rather, as a large male, there's just a bit too much of me down there for the narrow crotch of GoodNites and UnderJams to keep in. Pointing down exacerbates this by pushing the front of the diaper outward, while pointing up carries the risk that urine will trickle down around the outside of the leak guards, fill up that space, and then leak out. Basically, the narrow crotch is the root of all evil. The crotch width of your average size 6 baby diaper is 40% greater. Not surprisingly, I find Pampers baby diapers much more usable than GoodNites, despite needing to extend the tabs.

Cottontail said:
It's a Hail Mary, and gives you a string bikini look. You have been warned. :) If you haven't tried the "bigger" method, do that one first. Support-wise, it'll be much better. You shouldn't end up with a tear in the middle if you're careful with the scissors.

If you're getting gaps through the crotch, though, then you may be having the same problem I always have. For me, it's not a matter of support. Rather, as a large male, there's just a bit too much of me down there for the narrow crotch of GoodNites and UnderJams to keep in. Pointing down exacerbates this by pushing the front of the diaper outward, while pointing up carries the risk that urine will trickle down around the outside of the leak guards, fill up that space, and then leak out. Basically, the narrow crotch is the root of all evil. The crotch width of your average size 6 baby diaper is 40% greater. Not surprisingly, I find Pampers baby diapers much more usable than GoodNites, despite needing to extend the tabs.

I'll give the bigger method a go at some point but last night I tried out your guide to making baby diaper tape extenders, and wow they are amazing!!!

It's been ages since I've been able to wear a baby diaper and your guide has rekindled my love for them, thank you so much!

leicesterfan said:
I'll give the bigger method a go at some point but last night I tried out your guide to making baby diaper tape extenders, and wow they are amazing!!!

It's been ages since I've been able to wear a baby diaper and your guide has rekindled my love for them, thank you so much!

Good to hear! At some point soon, though, I'll have to update that article with information about other kinds of diapers to use. A couple of people have recently mentioned that the covers on Pampers and Luvs have gotten extremely thin and fragile, and I'm sorry to say that I've confirmed this myself. Removing the covers from Baby Dry is now a bit difficult to do without tearing them, and they've long been my favorite. And, as extenders, they don't hold up quite as well as they used to. Fortunately, Cruisers (Active Fit) and Swaddlers still appear to have the thick covers. Unfortunately, they're smaller than the others (in their commonly available sizes, anyway), so... :shrug:

Best of luck!

Cottontail said:
Good to hear! At some point soon, though, I'll have to update that article with information about other kinds of diapers to use. A couple of people have recently mentioned that the covers on Pampers and Luvs have gotten extremely thin and fragile, and I'm sorry to say that I've confirmed this myself. Removing the covers from Baby Dry is now a bit difficult to do without tearing them, and they've long been my favorite. And, as extenders, they don't hold up quite as well as they used to. Fortunately, Cruisers (Active Fit) and Swaddlers still appear to have the thick covers. Unfortunately, they're smaller than the others (in their commonly available sizes, anyway), so... :shrug:

Best of luck!

Do you think it would be possible to use the cloth backing from a different brand with the Pampers Baby Dry?

I have some ASDA little angel nappies which are the ones I tried your method with and they seemed to work great

leicesterfan said:
Do you think it would be possible to use the cloth backing from a different brand with the Pampers Baby Dry?

I would guess so--if the backing comes off nicely and brings the elastic wings with it. Not to say there aren't other ways of doing this stuff. Please do experiment and share!

I haven't tried any non-Pampers hook-and-loop with Pampers diapers, but I have tried the Pampers-based extenders with Huggies and other brands of diapers, and they work fine. Can't see why it wouldn't work the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back