molicare super plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertyqwerty

Contributor
Role
  1. Sissy
I've heard that the molicare super plus plastic backed are being phased out soon....is that true and about how long does anybody know?? thanks

Boooo!

I'm with ultra. I like the old models better. I used them as the major part of my supply.

Thats why I stocked up massively on the old Molicare Super Plus, they are the workhorse in my need of diapers

Wonder why they didnt just do the super plus like the comfort super with the breathable sides and plastic center, seems to me that would have been a better compromise sort of the best of both worlds.

I can still find the plastic brands on ebay so that is where I get mine at low price. I don't like the new looks though because they don't look as absorbent judging the package.

aw, I liked the purple.

I don't understand why they can't just sell the plastic backed variety alongside the new model instead of just replacing it outright. This will be yet another devastating blow to consumer choice in the incontinence market. All we can do now is stand up and make enough noise that Hartmann/Medline will consider making a compromise much like Abena did with XPMedical. I have tried both varieties and while both are effective, I much prefer the more waterproof non-breathable cover. Alienating their consumer base that prefers plastic by denying them choice possibly may be good for short term profits but I fail to see how it could serve them well in the long term for sustainability. Such a move is short-sighted in my eyes and I hope for all of us and for the sake of consumer choice that there is enough consumer backlash to force a compromise as was accomplished when Abena tried pulling a move like this.

I agree with SnowPrincessLily. Why they can't sell both products side by side, I do not know... Something tells me it's to do with money, I don't know... is cloth cheaper than plastic? I have no idea. Anyway, I realise that there are many out there who prefer cloth backed nappies and I'm sure I've read somewhere that care homes and similar places have voiced their preference for cloth-like material. From what I remember reading, their reasons were increased breathability and dignity, as they feel more like underwear in comparison to a plastic, crinkly nappy.

Despite this, I have spoken with a member of staff from a well-established local supplier regarding the situation, (just as I did when Abena went the same way) and found some interesting info. From what they tell me, there are a LOT of upset customers who were using Abena, who then switched to Molicare and are now in the same situation. They have no idea why the company is making this move and by the sounds of it, the number of upset customers is very significant. So significant in fact, that they were able to persuade Tena to either temporarily continue plastic backed nappies or supply them with a container-load... I don't remember exactly but the long and the short of it is that they do have plastic Tena in stock for the forseeable future. The person I spoke with didn't seem too bothered about trying to convince Molicare/ Hartmann to do the same, although they were almost as confused as myself as to why companies are making this move. They gave me Hartmann's number but I haven't called as it's an 08 number...

My feeling is that care homes who probably buy in mass bulk are asking the companies for this change. Why? I do not know but I guess that many of the people in their care are probably being changed as often as a baby and probably do not care what they are wearing, which makes sense. Now for those of us who lead more mobile and active lifestyles with varying levels of IC who may need to be a bit more discreet, it's my feeling that we are the majority of the people who prefer plastic. Plastic will last longer, hold more and leak less - ideal for those who don't want to carry a huge sack of cloth nappies everywhere and change every three hours. Why? Well amongst a host of reasons, some can actually make it to the toilet some of the time and this means less to carry and therefore less chance of discovery. In short: plastic backed nappies are far more convenient for a lot of us. But like I said at the start... it's most likely about money. Who is consistently buying the most? Care homes by the looks of things. And thats where I think our problem lies, as with most of the problems in this world. Money. Shame.

Yeah, the Molicare was my go too diaper. Not sure what I'm going to use to replace them with. I wasn't ever a fan of the color. But the inside was very soft and the leak guards were pretty tall and worked pretty good for me. I ended up buying a case of them when I heard the news about the change. I think with the change, I'll also be moving down a size, since the waist sizes are changing. It's possible that I'll be going from a Medium to a Small.

These were the first good diapers I ever bought, and they've always been my goto. I even like the purple. I don't know what to think right now. :-/

I like the purple and plastic, but I like cloths just as much, they look cute, just not purple anymore. I'mma try the new ones for night time.

This is specifically why I made my 2015 State of Plastic Address thread. Why do companies think this is a good idea? Are they trying to be eco-friendly? I hate to break it to them, but the cloth-like products are basically the absorbant pad covered by a thin layer of poly plastic with a fairly thick layer of cloth-like plastic sprayed on top of it and the wings are made of the same material. I honestly don't think that's eco-friendly as there is probably the same amount if not more plastic than a traditional poly plastic diaper. Cost? I doubt it's very cost-efficient the cloth-backed variety more often than not is more expensive to consumers than poly plastic indicating that they are most likely more expensive to produce. Care homes and nursing facilities who buy in bulk seem to demand products that look and feel more like regular underwear, but quite frankly that's a stigma and mindset society is better off without. most of the residents in these facilities who need full tape-on diapers are not usually with the program so to speak anyway and probably couldn't care less what they wear. The bigger problem that should be addressed is the stigma surrounding diapers and it just plain shouldn't be a big deal wearing diapers whether you're 1, 8, 18, or 81. Anything that is worn under clothes should generally be broadly considered underwear and the only differences that should be addressed are size, shape, and function. briefs, boxers, panties, pullups and even diapers are all underwear but the only real significant difference is they have different functions. Discretion means nothing if the product doesn't work and do the job it was designed to do.. At the same time consumers should ALWAYS, no exceptions have the option to choose which product they think will work best for them. This is why offering both products side by side is so important.

I cannot stress enough the importance of consumer choice, here.

SnowPrincessLily said:
This is specifically why I made my 2015 State of Plastic Address thread. Why do companies think this is a good idea? Are they trying to be eco-friendly? I hate to break it to them, but the cloth-like products are basically the absorbant pad covered by a thin layer of poly plastic with a fairly thick layer of cloth-like plastic sprayed on top of it and the wings are made of the same material. I honestly don't think that's eco-friendly as there is probably the same amount if not more plastic than a traditional poly plastic diaper. Cost? I doubt it's very cost-efficient the cloth-backed variety more often than not is more expensive to consumers than poly plastic indicating that they are most likely more expensive to produce. Care homes and nursing facilities who buy in bulk seem to demand products that look and feel more like regular underwear, but quite frankly that's a stigma and mindset society is better off without. most of the residents in these facilities who need full tape-on diapers are not usually with the program so to speak anyway and probably couldn't care less what they wear. The bigger problem that should be addressed is the stigma surrounding diapers and it just plain shouldn't be a big deal wearing diapers whether you're 1, 8, 18, or 81. Anything that is worn under clothes should generally be broadly considered underwear and the only differences that should be addressed are size, shape, and function. briefs, boxers, panties, pullups and even diapers are all underwear but the only real significant difference is they have different functions. Discretion means nothing if the product doesn't work and do the job it was designed to do.. At the same time consumers should ALWAYS, no exceptions have the option to choose which product they think will work best for them. This is why offering both products side by side is so important.

I cannot stress enough the importance of consumer choice, here.

Majority of consumers prefer discreetness and function, these new cloth backed ones look like the best of both worlds, especially considering they're retapable.

I just wish these companies would offer consumers a choice and offer both side by side instead of forcing one product down the throats of consumers who were happy to have previously had a choice. The problem here is that Molicare is no longer giving us a choice. I don't have a problem with anyone liking the new product, I'm more upset at the fact that for years consumers had a choice of which product they felt would work for them. Now Molicare wants to take that choice away from us and that's what I don't like. As of now the only choice we have is to give our money to companies who do give us a choice. I have good intentions, I want people to be able to choose which product they prefer and a move like this just doesn't sit well with me because it's essentially the Windows 8 of diapers. When Windows 8 launched Microsoft forced Windows 7 out and Windows 8 into store shelves so most retailers only offered Windows 8. These companies are taking choice out of the equation and that's what the problem is, especially after years of offering us a choice previously. I remain hopeful that there is enough of a demand to get a compromise out of Molicare as was accomplished years earlier with Abena.

Choice is all I ask for.

I was pretty sure plastic-backed was only being phased out in Europe, since demand for it in North America is still plenty high. :scratchchin:

Aren't they new molicares? They didn't have cloth backed this high of quuality before did they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back