Funny/Strange things you believed as a kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tiny said:
At one point (age ~8) my sister decided she didn't like her name... and would only answer to to the name "Strawberry". She refused to explain why, but kept it up for two weeks... after which, she apparently forgot about it. To this day, she denies all knowledge that it ever happened!

My wife apparently did this when she was a little girl, though her newly acquired name was Kitty. Her brother still calls her that to this day.

tiny said:
At one point (age ~8) my sister decided she didn't like her name... and would only answer to to the name "Strawberry". She refused to explain why, but kept it up for two weeks... after which, she apparently forgot about it. To this day, she denies all knowledge that it ever happened!

that is such a girl thing. my sister does similar.

i'm struggling to remember anything funny, but something that always sticks out along these lines is when i found out how the clutch transfers drive from the engine to the gearbox. it had seemed magical to me and the realization was sort of a rude one, killing any sense of the magical which i had left: the world was simple and brutal.

There was a porcelene house at my nan's that I was too scared to touch incase a wasp came out and stung me. :p

Aidy said:
Dinosaurs were around when my parents were kids. Damn that would've been a scary time to live!

"Dad, what was it like back in the olden days? Did you have a sword?"

I think this came from the idea that I couldn't imagine my parents ever getting old so assumed they had lived forever. A cool misconception.

Ha ha -- I once asked my grandmother if she had to have a man with a red flag walking in front of her when she started driving!

She never had to take a driving test -- so I guessed that must've been a long time ago!

Aidy said:
Dinosaurs were around when my parents were kids. Damn that would've been a scary time to live!

As an Aussie, are you sure you sure you don't still have dinosaurs in the outback? ;) :)

I used to think that when I yawned, people could hear whatever I was thinking at that moment.

I used to think broccoli were baby trees.

I used to think cartoons were real...

More specifically, these guys,

Koopalings.jpg

Snivy said:
I used to think cartoons were real...

More specifically, these guys,

Koopalings.jpg

Me too. I was really upset when I found out that cartoons weren't real, so I worked on coming up with theories that would make them plausibly real.

When I was very little I believed that cats were girls and dogs were boys :)

ToddySmurf said:
When I was very little I believed that cats were girls and dogs were boys :)
i still do that to this day!
Unless someone specifically tells me their cat is a "he" (like Professor Meowingtons) I always assume the cat is a female and the same goes for dogs xD I think it's cuz in cartoons the cat is typically portrayed as the sleek feminine character and the dog as the rough n tough male. Gender roles applied to an entire species :p

I always thought that when people talked to each other over wired phones (in the 90's) that they were physically yelling through a small tube/ the wires for the other person on the other end to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back