Rash Prevention UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

kupo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hey everyone.

I haven't yet managed to get a rash, I tend to just cleanup after a wet nappy with some "new baby" pampers wipes.

Now im starting to use more, obviously I will be at more risk of a rash etc. I don't want anything perfumed etc, and have read about cornstarch products.

Can anyone reccomend products in the UK good for prevention etc that won't give much away?

Cheers,

Kupo

Though I live in the U. S., I'm sure the U.K. would have the Johnson products like baby lotion. That's what I use and I never get diaper rash. I only sleep in wet diapers at night: no messy diapers. That would be hard to protect from.

I always use Sudocrem it's a non perfumed nappy rash cream- I've had nappy rash before and it's not pleasant but since using this I've never had it since.
You can buy it from nearly all supermarkets in the baby section. I too live in the UK

kupo said:
Can anyone reccomend products in the UK good for prevention etc that won't give much away?

bog-standard babycare products will do for barrier creams and preventatives.
it's all a bit of balancing act, though: modern, good quality disposables shouldn't normally allow much for rashes, and any creams will also act as a barrier to absorbtion by the disposable and, in some cases, result in a disintergration of the diaper or it's parts (inner-cuffs).

and as with babycare products, general babycare will go a long way to avoiding rashes (indeed, more than any product): wash and then rinse and dry thoroughly (soap is dirt), and give your skin plenty of air-time.

On the whole there's no better prevention than staying clean and not sitting around for hours in a used nappy, I've been wearing for a long time and only ever had a rash a few times when I have been a little lazy. I can vouch for sudocrem being fantastic to prevent a rash getting worse and help heal it, I only use it if I'm able to wear a lot or if I start feeling a little sore and it works wonders. It is non-perfumed but does have a faint (and very nice) smell to it and is also good for eczema, sun burn, chillblains, minor burns and even acne (so if your worried about anyone finding it there are good excuses why you have it).

As for severe rashes, if you ever get a really bad one then you may want something like Metanium. Never had to use it myself but I know a few parents whose children have very sensitive skin and get major nappy rash at the drop of a hat who swear by Metanium, It's a very thick paste and will clear a severe rash very quickly.

both of these are UK products though may be available elsewhere.

Thanks for the feedback folks, Luckily i already have Sudocrem around for spots etc, being the portly gentleman its very good for chub rub too :p

So, would you apply sudocrem as you put a clean nappy on as a preventative or only on downtime?

Sorry for the dense questions!

Cheers

the questions aren't dense they are quite valid.

Other people will have different opinions and experiences but for me when it comes to powders I don't like them unless I want to feel really babyish. they are basically meant to reduce friction from movement and help absorb moisture but I find they go pasty/clumpy/sticky and make it a little harder to clean properly. Also disposable nappies are meant to wick urine and hold it away from skin but I think the powder will absorb it and sit on your skin so that can't be helpful.

As for lotions/oils these should be fine to use every change as they basically just create an extra barrier between the nappy and your skin also removing friction and helping prevent any mess (if you do it) from sticking to you.

With the medicated creams like sudocrem/metanium/bepanthen/balmex (all uk Brands) etc. you should probably only be using it if you have a rash or know one is developing. I have known parents who use sudocrem or bepanthen at every change without any problems but the directions on the tub I have here say apply as required. You only need a thin layer for it to work, no need to slather it on and also make sure the area is definately clean and dry before applying it.

You can use the cream any time, if you have a rash you're better off going without nappies for a bit as it lets the area air out, just add a thin layer of cream before putting a nappy or your normal clothes on. If your not using a nappy make sure to wash yourself and dry well after a little while and reapply as you would with a baby if you were regularly changing their nappy (when I've used sudocrem without a nappy I wash + reapply every 3 hours or so if possible), do this until it's cleared up.

Also to note here is that some nappy rashes can get really bad and may be caused by a fungal or yeast infection, if you do ever get a rash and after a couple of days letting it air and using OTC creams it is not getting any better see your doctor as they will be able to prescribe a treatment. You may never experience this but its good to know in case.

hope that helps.

Belarin said:
the questions aren't dense they are quite valid.

Other people will have different opinions and experiences but for me when it comes to powders I don't like them unless I want to feel really babyish. they are basically meant to reduce friction from movement and help absorb moisture but I find they go pasty/clumpy/sticky and make it a little harder to clean properly. Also disposable nappies are meant to wick urine and hold it away from skin but I think the powder will absorb it and sit on your skin so that can't be helpful.

As for lotions/oils these should be fine to use every change as they basically just create an extra barrier between the nappy and your skin also removing friction and helping prevent any mess (if you do it) from sticking to you.

With the medicated creams like sudocrem/metanium/bepanthen/balmex (all uk Brands) etc. you should probably only be using it if you have a rash or know one is developing. I have known parents who use sudocrem or bepanthen at every change without any problems but the directions on the tub I have here say apply as required. You only need a thin layer for it to work, no need to slather it on and also make sure the area is definately clean and dry before applying it.

You can use the cream any time, if you have a rash you're better off going without nappies for a bit as it lets the area air out, just add a thin layer of cream before putting a nappy or your normal clothes on. If your not using a nappy make sure to wash yourself and dry well after a little while and reapply as you would with a baby if you were regularly changing their nappy (when I've used sudocrem without a nappy I wash + reapply every 3 hours or so if possible), do this until it's cleared up.

Also to note here is that some nappy rashes can get really bad and may be caused by a fungal or yeast infection, if you do ever get a rash and after a couple of days letting it air and using OTC creams it is not getting any better see your doctor as they will be able to prescribe a treatment. You may never experience this but its good to know in case.

hope that helps.

Thanks mate. I think I may have a bit of a rash at the moment (Fell asleep in a rather wet nappy, oops). I normally put on fresh to sleep if im going to sleep in one. Will use the cream tonight and probably just stick to PJ Bottoms and see how we look tomorrow!

Scary stuff with the fungal and yeast stuff though, didn't know it could go that bad!

You can generally tell if a rash is coming as it may start to get sensitive or a little itchy before going red.

The fungal/yeast infections are not common and if you're keeping clean you will be very unlikely to ever encounter I only bring it up because we were on the subject and it pays to be informed just in case

Yeah would rather be informed. I certainly have an itchy sensation which isn't the nicest. Looked in the mirror and can see some red coming so yay cream time! So fingers crossed this, and a bath in the morning will start putting me back on track! Lesson learnt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back