Comments from store clerk

Status
Not open for further replies.
ClandestineWing said:
So here's a question for you then. If the cashier would ask you that question with the intent to shame you, why would that person even be worth your concern? Why would a person like that even be worth taking offense over? Decent-minded standbyers certainly wouldn't side with the cashier in that case, because what Susie says of Sally says more of Susie than it does Sally.

I think the problem here is that silence and allowing something to happen is accepting it and in a way encouraging it to continue happening. Every time you don't say something to a someone who is rude, you are allowing this behavior to persist. You are saying that you are okay with it continuing. The only way you can stamp rude behavior is by us as a collective society not standing for it. The same way we as a society make all progressive changes.

If you agree that shaming people in public is wrong, speaking out against it can be an important want to make sure that the person knows that. It's like.. sort of bullying prevention 101, and I think it applies to adults as well as children.

gigglemuffinz said:
I think the problem here is that silence and allowing something to happen is accepting it and in a way encouraging it to continue happening. Every time you don't say something to a someone who is rude, you are allowing this behavior to persist. You are saying that you are okay with it continuing. The only way you can stamp rude behavior is by us as a collective society not standing for it. The same way we as a society make all progressive changes...

But on the other hand, if his/her objective is to get a rise out of you, you are playing into his desires. Ignoring his/her comment and being pleasant in return (taking the high road) may be the best alternative.

I think that if I worked retail and had a customer who had adult diapers at check out, I would want to say something. I mean why not? I would be friendly and would offer comments along the lines of my own experience using adult diapers. Fetish does not necessarily have to be component of the discussion. Absorbancy and comfort would lead the list of topics.

Kenn said:
But on the other hand, if his/her objective is to get a rise out of you, you are playing into his desires. Ignoring his/her comment and being pleasant in return (taking the high road) may be the best alternative.

The thing is he might not even realize he is being offensive with that kinda statement so the just being nice and pleasant, something I'm normally 100% for, could still be just encouraging someone to keep up the behavior. Being nice and friendly is how I always tried to dissuade bullying as a kid, but like.. at if you see someone bullying someone else, someone does have to stand up to them eventually or very likely the cycle will continue.

Now one possible alternative could be to bring up your problem while avoiding getting worked up or even quite seeming accusatory. Something along the lines of, "Oh, but some adults do wear them you know? Maybe you'll need to one day. Happens to a lot of otherwise perfect functional adults." Or something along those lines.

Pamperhead said:
I think that if I worked retail and had a customer who had adult diapers at check out, I would want to say something. I mean why not? I would be friendly and would offer comments along the lines of my own experience using adult diapers. Fetish does not necessarily have to be component of the discussion. Absorbency and comfort would lead the list of topics.

Even though I was a chit chatting sort of cashier, adult incontinence products would definitely be a thing I would avoid speaking to any customer about. Very likely this area could be a sensitive subject, and they might respond to even nice comments with some hostality. If not them, talking about it could draw focus to it from other people in line, who might react not so positively as well. In general, that's one of the products I consider to be a "just scan and bag it"

gigglemuffinz said:
The thing is he might not even realize he is being offensive with that kinda statement so the just being nice and pleasant, something I'm normally 100% for, could still be just encouraging someone to keep up the behavior. Being nice and friendly is how I always tried to dissuade bullying as a kid, but like.. at if you see someone bullying someone else, someone does have to stand up to them eventually or very likely the cycle will continue.

Now one possible alternative could be to bring up your problem while avoiding getting worked up or even quite seeming accusatory. Something along the lines of, "Oh, but some adults do wear them you know? Maybe you'll need to one day. Happens to a lot of otherwise perfect functional adults." Or something along those lines.

Even though I was a chit chatting sort of cashier, adult incontinence products would definitely be a thing I would avoid speaking to any customer about. Very likely this area could be a sensitive subject, and they might respond to even nice comments with some hostality. If not them, talking about it could draw focus to it from other people in line, who might react not so positively as well. In general, that's one of the products I consider to be a "just scan and bag it"

Agreed. If there were other people in line I would refrain from talking about it. But if the shopper was alone in the line, I probably would bring it up. After all, I have something like 30 years of experience with the products available. I think I could be helpful. That would be the extent of the conversation.

brabbit1987 said:
If the person did mean it in a way to shame me. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't take offense to it personally, but I would certainly know the person is being rude. So why not point it out? Is it better to just keep silent and let them be that way? If so, why?

How would you know if they are not worth your concern unless you confront them? What if it makes them think twice about doing it to someone else?

lol I don't know. I think another reason would be because it's fun. I find the strangest things fun I guess. I am the type of person who goes around youtube videos and debates people all the time simply because I enjoy it. Confronting people ... makes life more interesting.

YouTube is easy prey. After a while, you start to get good reads on people, and confrontation with such people gets really stale. This is personally not a scenario in which I would take a full-frontal tact with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back