Comments from store clerk

Status
Not open for further replies.
brabbit1987 said:
Maybe you should look at the comment I quoted? Because I wasn't talking about the OP. You really need to learn to pay attention, that is what quotes are for.

Just in case you still miss it, let me quote it again. Going to bold the portion so you can see it clearly. This is the comment I was replying too, not the original post.

I figured you would have noticed this by now considering I even mentioned it in my previous post.

Edit: It's actually pretty funny though that you thought I was talking about the OP. But hey, no biggie. Everyone makes mistakes xD.

Ohmygawsh..

I totally didn't pay attention to who you quoted in the first post, and that was absolutely on me. I also totally only read the response you gave to me, and not to the other guy.. so yeah. Both bad on me. I really do need to learn to pay attention.

Sorry for wasting both of our times with my dumbness. I promise to work harder in the future to avoid such an embarrassing misunderstanding.

gigglemuffinz said:
Ohmygawsh..

I totally didn't pay attention to who you quoted in the first post, and that was absolutely on me. I also totally only read the response you gave to me, and not to the other guy.. so yeah. Both bad on me. I really do need to learn to pay attention.

Sorry for wasting both of our times with my dumbness. I promise to work harder in the future to avoid such an embarrassing misunderstanding.

lol Don't worry about it. It just means we both actually agree is all. XD

Straycatz said:
The other day I went in to a "Big Box" store and found a pair of pink snowbibs. Upon taking them to the checkout counter, the guy commented to me, "These are going to look ravishing on you." To which I kept an absolute poker face and replied, "Yes, they are." This kind of thing does not bother me much anymore (There was a time I would have blushed brightly and gotten nervous). That being said, don't most stores now tell their employees that it is taboo to comment on purchases to their customers at checkout?

Aw, I've been there before! Except it was when buying a bra -_- The clerk asked me if it was for me, and I was so shocked I could only squeak out "...yes". She giggled a little, but rung it up and I was out of there quicikly. It was kind of an unprofessional comment, looking back, but I'm not too bothered now. People make mistakes. I know it really sucks at the time, though, and I'm glad you're doing OK!

Reactions: dreamerover9000
Thanks to all for the support on this. I feel now that after listening to others that I did handle it in the best way. Kind of an unusual thing to say, but that's OK. The older I get the more I don't worry about what others think of my purchases, etc. It's my money. Enjoying the debate and support!

Adventurer said:
Aw, I've been there before! Except it was when buying a bra -_- The clerk asked me if it was for me, and I was so shocked I could only squeak out "...yes". She giggled a little, but rung it up and I was out of there quicikly. It was kind of an unprofessional comment, looking back, but I'm not too bothered now. People make mistakes. I know it really sucks at the time, though, and I'm glad you're doing OK!

No doubt your cover was blown when you bought your first and perhaps only BRA in a size or design that was a dead give-away and we are not talking about Halloween here !
Buying the BRA alone may have been the trigger. Or perhaps the lack of the matching panties that may have been on sale BOGO mix and match etc. Your squeaky answer also
was your undoing. You could have commented about an upcoming Sorority panty raid and or costume party, prize given to the weirdest oddest most incomplete wardrobe etc.
Well better luck next time ! Mans' gots to know his limitations ! Yours were squeaky high ! Thanks for sharing on how not to buy a BRA. Do you remember what is was that you
bought and did it serve the purpose both in size as well as function (in other words needed a padded foundation) ? Clothing items are not the usual self-service check-out items.
But at Wal*Mart you could get away with it - "IF" - Big IF - if you have the whether withall to boldly go thru the self-service gauntlet and hopefully not have any complications
with the procedure. Buy something else to use as a test bed before the BRA purchase. You are not the only one to have been caught in the deer headlights buying UNMENTIONABLES !

Last edited:
Straycatz said:
Thanks to all for the support on this. I feel now that after listening to others that I did handle it in the best way. Kind of an unusual thing to say, but that's OK. The older I get the more I don't worry about what others think of my purchases, etc. It's my money. Enjoying the debate and support!

I've also noticed that as I get older, I care less what others think. At age 67, I realize I have less years of life ahead of me, and I'm going to try to make the most of them. That doesn't mean I'm going to make a fool of myself, because I have friends whom I greatly respect and who respect me. I don't want to change that equation. But I don't mind going to the store and buying baby lotion and baby oil, and if I'm out of Goodnites and need them, I'll buy them at my grocery store as well. Life is too short to worry about the little things, which reminds me of the football air pressure debacle. It's the number one news story.

So it's all about perspective. I've often joked with sales clerks about small things. It's nice to be human with people as long as everything said is appropriate and respectful of other people's feelings.

brabbit1987 said:
So .. you would be perfectly fine if a clerk asked you "Aren't you too old to be wearing diapers?" In front of many people? You also call that humorous? You call that professional?

Either you guys think I am talking about the original post and you're misunderstanding me, or we highly disagree on this.

Also . .the whole work of Satan and report him to the authorities bit is a tad too much. Please try to take my comment a little more serious, because it wasn't that bad. Stop exaggerating. And please .. stop being rude with your sarcastic remarks. You are putting way too many words in my mouth.

And you think MY comment was bad lol?

Yes I would, because I know how to take a joke.

If you want me to take your posts seriously, stop being so indignant about petty bullshit.

As for a blunt statement like ''Aren't you too old to be wearing diapers?'', I think that's straying into somewhat inappropriate territory, although it depends somewhat on the context. It may seem like a joke if it's directed toward a young person with a pack of GoodNites, but say it was an older person with adult diapers who needed them for incontinence... I don't think he/she would find it humorous. I think it would be best for a cashier to avoid commenting on anything that might be considered a sensitive, embarrassing item, such as condoms.

I once had an older female cashier glance at the Pampers I was buying (for myself) and ask me if I had a three-year-old. Coincidentally, I did have a three-year-old at the time, and answered, "Yes." Phew! I didn't even have to lie!

But that was it. In more than 25 years of buying diapers and other potentially-embarrassing products at stores, that was as close as I've come to getting a rude question. And this cashier was a nice old lady who was clearly just trying to liven up her mundane job by having a little chat. It was all amusement to me.

Adventurer said:
Aw, I've been there before! Except it was when buying a bra -_- The clerk asked me if it was for me, and I was so shocked I could only squeak out "...yes". She giggled a little, but rung it up and I was out of there quicikly.

I'd have died. I haven't shared much about my teenage cross-dressing experiences, but suffice it to say, buying bras and panties for myself was much harder than any diaper buying experience I've ever had. Fortunately, the salespeople left me alone, and when I nervously laid everything out in front of the cashier, she scanned it all without even the slightest pause or sign of inquisitiveness. Thank. God.

KimbaStarshine said:
but say it was an older person with adult diapers who needed them for incontinence

Ah yes. This case is very context sensitive. Even then, I see little reason for a cashier to make such a comment in a malicious way; they usually have good people skills.

Straycatz said:
The other day I went in to a "Big Box" store and found a pair of pink snowbibs. Upon taking them to the checkout counter, the guy commented to me, "These are going to look ravishing on you." To which I kept an absolute poker face and replied, "Yes, they are." This kind of thing does not bother me much anymore (There was a time I would have blushed brightly and gotten nervous). That being said, don't most stores now tell their employees that it is taboo to comment on purchases to their customers at checkout?

Um...Did everybody miss the possibility that the cashier may have been trying to pick the OP up?

ClandestineWing said:
Yes I would, because I know how to take a joke.

If you want me to take your posts seriously, stop being so indignant about petty bullshit.

Well .... then I respect your opinion. We will agree to disagree. I simply don't consider it a joke. I also don't consider such a "joke" to be professional. If it causes someone to be embarrassed and makes your customer feel scarred or whatever. I don't think it's appropriate.

ClandestineWing said:
Ah yes. This case is very context sensitive. Even then, I see little reason for a cashier to make such a comment in a malicious way; they usually have good people skills.

If you think it's bad in this situation, why would you think it's ok when its a younger person with the same problem? Also, I agree, they usually do have good people skills, but it's not always the case, I stand by my original post. If a cashier asked "Aren't you to old to be wearing diapers?" .. I absolutely do not consider that a joke. If it is a joke .. it's a terrible joke.

KimbaStarshine said:
As for a blunt statement like ''Aren't you too old to be wearing diapers?'', I think that's straying into somewhat inappropriate territory, although it depends somewhat on the context. It may seem like a joke if it's directed toward a young person with a pack of GoodNites, but say it was an older person with adult diapers who needed them for incontinence... I don't think he/she would find it humorous. I think it would be best for a cashier to avoid commenting on anything that might be considered a sensitive, embarrassing item, such as condoms.

100% agree. Making a joke should be funny to the customer, not embarrassing. If it embarrasses your customer due to it being a sensitive topic, then it was likely an inappropriate joke.
Even professional tell parents not to do things like that. It embarrasses people and makes them feel ashamed. So it's simply wrong to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the record again, I completely and totally 100% believe that this situation was my fault. I really should have been paying more attention. :(

Let's not fight and all, and do our best to give the others the benefit of the doubt. I know how unlikely it might seemed that I might have just opened my mouth and started to rant before really paying attention to what I was ranting about, but it really is the sort of embarrassing mistake I would make. I'm really sorry that my not paying attention has caused this to escalate even further. I know it probably seems unlikely, but really do please put the blame on that even being a thing on me. My gigantic rant was completely off-base and I would delete if I didn't feel I should own up to it and the thread would be kinda awkward without it.

When I referred in my rant to brabbit changing it, I was not referring to him changing the post but simply him changing the narrative within the post. I thought that brabbit had avoided using the actual situation in his example and I admit I thought this spoke to why the original situation wasn't worth what I thought I saw was a harsh reaction to a simple comment. It really was just that brabbit was responding to another member who HAD been told "Aren't you too old for diapers." Which really is not a joke you should be telling. It still functions as shaming incontinent people for instance, for their issues, people who often feel ashamed and embarrassed enough without a cashier joking about their condition. The truth is you are never "too old" to wear diapers. Circumstances change and joking that diapers are only for babies is incredibly disrespectful for these adults who have no choice in the matter.

Please, I implore that we try our hardest to believe each other and be friends or at least civil. I would be extremely sad if my mistake became a bigger mistake and made a member feel chased away or hated on this community. :(

I remember years ago when I was buying a long nylon nightgown at Sears the cashier said, " Is that for you? Oh, its going to look so cute on you. " My
reaction was how could she tell. I can keep a good poker face and I can generally do these transactions without any discomfort. I just laughed and said have a nice day. I thought it was kind of fun. My only regret was not asking her out for a cup of coffee later.

lgmuffin said:
I remember years ago when I was buying a long nylon nightgown at Sears the cashier said, " Is that for you? Oh, its going to look so cute on you. " My
reaction was how could she tell. I can keep a good poker face and I can generally do these transactions without any discomfort. I just laughed and said have a nice day. I thought it was kind of fun. My only regret was not asking her out for a cup of coffee later.

It's nice to get those sort of comments now and then. =^.^=
That also would have been interesting if you asked her out. X3 .. though it may have made the situation a little more awkward depending on how she answered lol.

I will apologize for what was said by me here. I was reading and I guess I misread something.

I have had cashiers comment on what I am buying. Normally I do not care.
My favorite was one time buying 3 leotards from the manufacturer store. The lady behind the counter looked at them and said "some girl was going to be very happy and must have been very good."

I smiled and said "Yes I had been very good and was going to be happy"

She was more embarrassed than I was at that point. I bought from them regularly after that and they got to know me more or less.

brabbit1987 said:
Well .... then I respect your opinion. We will agree to disagree. I simply don't consider it a joke. I also don't consider such a "joke" to be professional. If it causes someone to be embarrassed and makes your customer feel scarred or whatever. I don't think it's appropriate.

If you think it's bad in this situation, why would you think it's ok when its a younger person with the same problem? Also, I agree, they usually do have good people skills, but it's not always the case, I stand by my original post. If a cashier asked "Aren't you to old to be wearing diapers?" .. I absolutely do not consider that a joke. If it is a joke .. it's a terrible joke.

Obviously, embarrassing the guest isn't the intention. The intention is giving the guest a good laugh, which is a friendly and professional way to encourage the guest to keep shopping at your store. I really think you're just a prude, and if you were to handle a situation like this with such prudence, whatever discomfort or "scarring" you suffer is only self-inflicted.

ClandestineWing said:
Obviously, embarrassing the guest isn't the intention. The intention is giving the guest a good laugh, which is a friendly and professional way to encourage the guest to keep shopping at your store. I really think you're just a prude, and if you were to handle a situation like this with such prudence, whatever discomfort or "scarring" you suffer is only self-inflicted.

I am not a prude, I am actually a pretty nice person, and I love to laugh. Also, the definition of prude doesn't match the situation. If you go through this thread there are tons who agree with me. Being a prude would be offended by things others would not be offended by. So in order to use that definition you can't just use your opinion and discard everyone else's. There are plenty of people who would be offended and embarrassed by that so called joke. But hey .. not everyone knows how to use a dictionary properly.

Anyway, there is a point when I think a joke is going to far. I care about peoples feelings, and that is why. Which is something I think you are just brushing under the rug. You don't seem to care if it hurts someone as long as it was a joke. If they take it too serious .. you call them a prude. That makes you insensitive.

Making jokes is fine. It's not fine, when it embarrasses or makes fun of someone. The store clerks joke can be funny to those who don't actually wear diapers. However, to those who do, it's embarrassing. Since the store clerk does not know this information, of whether or not the person is indeed the wearer, then they really shouldn't make the joke.

So what did you learn today?
Probably nothing at all XD.

Must be tough not caring about other people's feelings. Cause everyone is a prude. But hey, I rather be known as a prude and care about other people's feelings, then to be an insensitive person calling everyone else a prude.

Edit: Also by your thought process, as long as the joke is not intended to hurt someone and it's suppose to be funny ... it's fine, even if it does hurt someone. I really don't get that logic. Isn't that the way a bully thinks?

The diaper joke, it's the equivalent of someone telling a bit of an overweight person "Aren't you to fat to be eating this?". Yes, it could be funny because the person isn't actually that much overweight. However, you don't know if they are self conscious about that kind of thing, so it's an inappropriate joke.

Just because you think the joke is harmless and only meant to be funny, doesn't make it ok. Again . .that tends to be how bullies view things.

Edit 2: Also .. I think you are taking my original post a little too serious.

I probably would have said "Honestly, I think you should just shut up and do your job instead of making stupid comments."

Notice the "probably". This means it all depends on the way it was said. If I can tell it was only meant to be a joke, I would probably still explain to them why it could embarrass someone and is inappropriate. If it sounded rude, I probably would tell them off, and it probably be a lot more than what I wrote here. That is the friendly version.

Whether you agree or not, I really don't care. Again, ever since I posted you have been acting pretty condescending toward me, and I really have no clue why.

Can't you just respect my opinion, without calling me names and acting the way you have been acting toward me?

Or are you just joking to .. and I am suppose to laugh?

Last edited:
...getting back on topic. You shouldn't expect the least or anything from store clerks. I just bought baby Dry pampers today and I was directed to a self-checkout by 4 walmart workers and one approached me saying If I was having trouble...I kinda was but I fixed it and I went my separate ways. No comments about diapers or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back