Diapering yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necron681

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So for those of you without anyone to diaper you, how would you do it? I hear laying down is a good way to do it, but i nearly screwed up real bad the other night (my first time) and although i didn't leak, i nearly tore the M4 repositioning the tapes after i realized the fit/placement want quite right, and it barely held through the wetting(about half an hour or so, cause nerves and stuff.) A list of tips/steps for making sure i don't do this again would be very helpful, thanks.

This link will show you how to diaper yourself: http://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/83448-How-to-Put-On-a-Diaper

Some good steps on diapering is putting the bottom tapes and pointing them upwards and the top tapes facing downward to ensure s snug safe feeling.

Oh, and don't feel bad. My first time diapering myself was a complete disaster and thank god I didn't leak myself :p after re-checking this article and looking at some ways to easily try this method out, along with some practice (because practice makes perfect), I perfectly do this everytime I pad up without making any mistakes.

1) You may mess up

2) You will get the hang of it

3- and 4- and 5- and so on, you will have the entire method mastered and you won't fail.

Thanks for the link Snivy, it was really helpful. Also, i kept trying to pull it up and keep it close to my crotch (so it would lay like regular boxer briefs) while i was wearing it, but it kept settling a bit lower on me, so there was a bit of space between my skin and the diaper. Is this most likely due to an improper taping job on my part, or could it be something else? I could stand to loose a couple pounds, but I'm definitely not what one would consider fat or overweight.

Necron681 said:
Thanks for the link Snivy, it was really helpful. Also, i kept trying to pull it up and keep it close to my crotch (so it would lay like regular boxer briefs) while i was wearing it, but it kept settling a bit lower on me, so there was a bit of space between my skin and the diaper. Is this most likely due to an improper taping job on my part, or could it be something else? I could stand to loose a couple pounds, but I'm definitely not what one would consider fat or overweight.

It probably has nothing to do with any of that.

Abena's don't fit me terribly well, and as far as a daytime diaper, I don't really think they were designed for active youngish people and more for the bedridden. Excellent night time diaper, however.

Try a diaper cover or snug boxer briefs with them, it helps keep them in place.

Necron681 said:

Nah, it's nothing like that, it's usually best to have some part of the diaper hanging between your legs that way it is alot easier trying to catch the urine. As for the separation from skin and diaper, which skin is it separated from your diaper?

Here's an example: I am a 32" And the Abena M4 fits waists around 28 to 40 around so I am an average fit. I don't need to adjust when I tape for the first time, I follow the article (Not anymore because I am used to it)

It is a medical diaper so it's necessary to keep away from your skin and SAP the urine away also from your skin (to prevent rash) I wouldn't think you are too small or anything. If possible, you could just tape yourself and just pull it up a bit. The tapes are also re-adjustable so after the first tapes, you can re-tape it to ensure a snug feeling and prevent the tapes from popping off in anyway.

You don't wanna tape them too tightly or anything, just tape normal and re-adjust if necessary.

Lorica said:
Try a diaper cover or snug boxer briefs with them, it helps keep them in place.

This method only works when you are trying to stay discreet for awhile to prevent your diaper from crinkling, how would that exactly hold it in place if the diaper does nothing but push? You would have a bulge from the diaper and all it's gonna do is push it out of it's way because the diaper is plastic, you can't postpone the inevitable. When your diapered, there's nothing to fight it, once your strapped in, your strapped in for the whole ride :D

But if the diaper is too big for him, using boxer briefs miiiiiight not be smart if it's too big and things might run off.

Also, what if he wants to wear nothing but a T-shirt and a diaper? What's the fun if your just gonna wear boxers over your diapers? :bleh: That's no fun!

Opinions will differ. From what I've read, whatever method you learned first is most likely going to seem like the obviously easiest way to do it since when you try some other method you fail horribly. So you'll get wildly varying advice here. Keep that in mind when reading any reply. (including MINE)

If you're going to be changing when away from home, particularly in a public restroom, it's hard to argue against changing standing up. Nobody wants to lay on their back on a public bathroom floor, even if it is a single occupancy locked room with a large handicapped size area. So a lot of us use the "back against a wall" standing up method. You trap the back of your diaper at the right final position behind you between you and the stall or bathroom wall. Then tape up.

Again, opinions vary as to whether you should do the lowers or uppers first, probably for the same reasons above. I do the uppers first, because their job is to keep your diaper UP on your hips. You're taping around your belt line. If you get the top tapes right, you should be able to step away from the wall and straighten out the front and back wings on both sides before taping them so you get either a comfortable or a snug fit around your legs. (LEGS, not WAIST) Snug if you need leakproof, a little looser if you just want comfy. Trying to tape the lowers toward each other inward around your waist will probably end up fitting very sloppy around your legs and will be much more likely to leak.

Whether or not you find that method easier than some other, it's the only "portable" method, and as such you'll either have to stay inside, learn two different methods, or get good at this one.

and that's my 2c

Snivy said:
As for the separation from skin and diaper, which skin is it separated from your diaper?

It is separated from the skin underneath, between my giblets and my butt. My waist size is 34-35 inches, so the diaper is the right size. Im about 5'9" and weigh a bit under 190 lbs, kinda halfway between muscular and average Joe build, with a bit of pudge around the middle. The muscular part is my chest and arms, and my legs(which are build almost like small trees).

Also, I don't wear outside my room, terrified of someone finding out. So when i out them on, I'm laying on my bed.

Necron681 said:
It is separated from the skin underneath, between my giblets and my butt. My waist size is 34-35 inches, so the diaper is the right size. Im about 5'9" and weigh a bit under 190 lbs, kinda halfway between muscular and average Joe build, with a bit of pudge around the middle. The muscular part is my chest and arms, and my legs(which are build almost like small trees).

It's supposed to be like that, the Abena M4 (like I said, medical diaper) sags a bit underneath to keep urine away from direct contact from skin, I'm sure you have it on correctly.

Well, i guess that good then. Now if only i can figure out how to tape the damn thing properly the first time so i dont nearly rip the side panel, and it doesn't try to escape down my legs when its used.

Necron681 said:
Well, i guess that good then. Now if only i can figure out how to tape the damn thing properly the first time so i dont nearly rip the side panel, and it doesn't try to escape down my legs when its used.

That article speaks itself perfectly, it takes practice till you nail it completely.

The M4's have leak guards so it shouldn't?

You misunderstand me, the whole thing fell down a bit when i used it, due to the weight and the slight tear and loss-of-stickyness from adjusting the tape.

Necron681 said:
You misunderstand me, the whole thing fell down a bit when i used it, due to the weight and the slight tear and loss-of-stickyness from adjusting the tape.

You tape first, then peel back the blue tape and tape it further to adjust (It should fit you without falling, probably have it on improperly)

Weight would have nothing to do with it, and loss of stickyness would occur if you try to tape too much, necessary times to tape is two (one for tape, one for adjusting) That's why they have to fit perfectly, don't want any room for the legs or waist.

Yeah, i learned that in the fly, but it still wasn't right, so i tried again, and the tape didn't want to let go this time...

Necron681 said:
Yeah, i learned that in the fly, but it still wasn't right, so i tried again, and the tape didn't want to let go this time...

Let go...Uhm, You say your a 34-35" waist and it's falling down on you? This is definitely a taping issue, all I can say it, give it some time, it takes practice...that's all I can say.

Good luck!

you know what? really no matter what your gonna go through some diapers it won't take long im sure !! I've got to the point that I can change in complete darkness or my eyes shut cause im sleepy ,

Necron681 said:

Abenas have double tapes, one blue and the upper white one attached to the wing. That blue tape is going to stick like mad, and they are notoriously unforgiving if you try and adjust if you mess up the initial placement.

I think your problem may be that you are trying to prevent it from sagging under weight after use and trying to put it on too tight, thusly torn backsheet. Just about all premium medical diapers like Abenas are going to sag after a thorough soaking.

The diapering guide is good advice.

Here are some tips that you may find helpful when diapering laying down that may help you get a proper fit:

As much as it is tempting, don't lay down on a soft mattress to diaper up, the floor is better. Mattresses deform underneath you and may alter how you think the diaper fits.

When you first lay down on the fresh diaper, pull the front up between your legs and "dry fit" it to your body and make sure that the top of the waistband lines up on the front and back wings.

Next grab the back wings (the ones with the tape tabs) in both hands, left and right, and at the same time and pull them up so they are equal on both sides of your abdomen.

Pull the front back up between your legs, tuck the front wing under the back, and apply the lower tapes first making sure that they are snug, but not so tight they cut into your thighs. Try and apply the tapes as symmetrically as you can on either side.

Now do the top tapes, and then tuck the leg gathers into your crotch on either side.

Stand up in the diaper with your legs together, as much as the diaper will allow, and adjust the bottom tapes first, just the white tabs, don't try and move the blue ones again, you'll tear the backsheet.

While still standing, bend slightly to one side and then the other to test the fit, and then adjust the top tapes so they are snug to your midriff. Again, move the white tabs, not the blue. You don't want it so tight that when you sit, the tabs rip holes in the backsheet.

It will take you a good pack or two of diapers to learn how that particular brand of diaper fits your body, and you'll gradually memorize where to apply the tapes to get the best fit.

Thanks for all the help guys! I dont know when ill try again, I'll have to wait till my garbage is nearly full, and one person doesn't make that much. It probably wont be for another week and a half or so. Ill keep these tips in mind and refer back here when I do get the chance. I was thinking that for my next time I'll drink a lot of water and wear it to bed, but my main worry is that if I do that, it will start to undo my conscious control. Like, the first time I was wide awake and had to concentrate, but if I'm sleeping, and i know it sounds silly that this would happen after only 1 time, I'm afraid I might wet my dorm bed without a diaper on.

Necron681 said:
Thanks for all the help guys! I dont know when ill try again, I'll have to wait till my garbage is nearly full, and one person doesn't make that much. It probably wont be for another week and a half or so. Ill keep these tips in mind and refer back here when I do get the chance. I was thinking that for my next time I'll drink a lot of water and wear it to bed, but my main worry is that if I do that, it will start to undo my conscious control. Like, the first time I was wide awake and had to concentrate, but if I'm sleeping, and i know it sounds silly that this would happen after only 1 time, I'm afraid I might wet my dorm bed without a diaper on.

I wouldn't worry too much. You won't start spontaneously wetting the bed because you sleep in diapers a couple times a week, or pee your pants in bed while wearing them. It's okay, it feels good, you should try it.

I went 24/7 for a little more than a year. To be more specific, I went toiletless for over a year. I didn't lose any control, I'm the same now as when I started.

You have to consciously work at becoming precontinent, and even then it takes a long time, and lots of diapers to do. Not something I recommend attempting.

Yeah, I know it was a dumb fear, but its just how I am. that little voice in the back my head that's like "I'm ignoring all evidence to the contrary JUST to mess with you here" is really irritating sometimes. Also, an Abena M4 wont leak as long as its on properly and I'm not passing, like, a gallon, right? Cause I do toss and turn a bit in my sleep and I dont want it coming off on me while I'm unconscious or getting anything on the bedding.

Necron681 said:
Yeah, I know it was a dumb fear, but its just how I am. that little voice in the back my head that's like "I'm ignoring all evidence to the contrary JUST to mess with you here" is really irritating sometimes. Also, an Abena M4 wont leak as long as its on properly and I'm not passing, like, a gallon, right? Cause I do toss and turn a bit in my sleep and I dont want it coming off on me while I'm unconscious or getting anything on the bedding.

They are designed with the bedridden in mind, thus all the extra padding in the back. And you would need to have a very large bladder indeed to flood one out on the first go. I've never had an Abena leak on me laying down, sitting yes, laying down... no. I'm a side sleeper as well, and I've let go with a full morning bladder in them and still no leaks. And I've gone through close to three or four hundred of them. My guess is that you'll wake up pleasantly squishy with utterly dry sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back