Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reeiving a little bit of assistance in paying for adult diapers...

Default Reeiving a little bit of assistance in paying for adult diapers...

As an older adult with Autism and Cerebral Palsy who is incontinent, the cost of a month's worth of adult diapers is a large expense out of my fixed monthly SSDI Income Budget.

I receive no assistance through the State of New Hampshire with easing the out-of-pocket cost of having to be diapered 24/7.

Therefore, I do receive a little bit of assistance via my church. This morning after worship I was given a 28-count package of Walgreen's "Certainty" brand adult diapers.

Medicare itself does not cover the cost of incontinence products, except in a Nursing Home.

It does suck, that I have to rely upon my own faith community to assist me with this necessary medical supply.

Yet, I am grateful for this "tiny" act of assistance every month.

I wonder if you could help offset some of the the expense by slowly acquiring cloth diapers? Of course there are downsides. There is the cost of replacing plastic pants, the expense of washing and drying and there is a smell issue with cloth. It's something to think about however. If you're not going out in public, cloth might be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I wonder if you could help offset some of the the expense by slowly acquiring cloth diapers? Of course there are downsides. There is the cost of replacing plastic pants, the expense of washing and drying and there is a smell issue with cloth. It's something to think about however. If you're not going out in public, cloth might be an option.
    Yes! I may consider using cloth diapers with plastic pants in the future.

Cloth diapers should help pretty significantly. Dependeco should be great for you. They are really easy to put on and are quite durable. Just take care of them and they should lay long enough so that you could be able to save money for other necessities.

Because of my own needs with CP, I like the idea of the SOPO kind at http://sewyourown.blogspot.com/ I like the idea of the slip-off pull-on kind, because I can pre-snap the snaps and put them on like pull-ups, only unsnapping them when need be. This helps because my right hand and arm are tight enough to make snapping/Velcroing a pain in the tushy. If you can't snap, there's a Velcro version, too. They're the pocket kind, but a talented seamstress could easily switch them to all-in-ones, and use less bunchy fold-over elastic.

Dependicos are cute as buttons, and have AB designs in cotton and flannel, but the microfiber in them may hold poo. I dunno. Ask Tyger. http://dependeco-adult-diapers.com/c...ory=1&page=all

If you want to cloth diaper in public, you'll need a "wet bag," for used ones. Just dump and flush if need be. Be sure to use a cloth-safe diaper cream like CJs BUTTer. Cloth safe detergent too.
    Last edited by SpAzpieSweeTot; 13-Jan-2015 at 19:31.

Caitianx , You do get a poor deal in the USA as here in the uk the NHS ( national health service ) would pay for all your diapers and the local council would have collected the dirty ones in yellow bags for free

Hello,

Weather Medi-care or state medical insurance covering diapers differs state to state. When I was in New York my doctor wrote me a prescription for disposables and the medicare covered it. Since moving to California, California is another state where diapers are covered. But not a unlimited supply. I wear 24/7, but my medicare will ONLY cover 5 diapers per day. If I need more I have to pay for them myself. I use a average of 6 diapers a day. I use baby diapers with slits cut in the plastic backing to help increase how long I can get out of them. I use either Huggies Overnites or Pampers Cruisers when awake as a soaker pad, and when sleeping use Pampers Easy-Up's. Before when paying cash I could easily spent $250.00-$300.00 a month on diaper needs. Now I spend on average 40-50 dollars on my diapering needs. And that's partly because medicare only covers the diapers. Not wipes, powder or rash cream. So I buy those and the baby diapers myself. I make it work. Sometimes if it's a small wetting, I can pull out the baby diaper and slip a new one in without having to toss the adult diaper right away. This makes the adult diapers last me a little longer. Anyway, yea, diapers are expensive and ANY help is always great.

-Baby Stanley

Quote Originally Posted by caitianx View Post
    As an older adult with Autism and Cerebral Palsy who is incontinent, the cost of a month's worth of adult diapers is a large expense out of my fixed monthly SSDI Income Budget.

I receive no assistance through the State of New Hampshire with easing the out-of-pocket cost of having to be diapered 24/7.

Therefore, I do receive a little bit of assistance via my church. This morning after worship I was given a 28-count package of Walgreen's "Certainty" brand adult diapers.

Medicare itself does not cover the cost of incontinence products, except in a Nursing Home.

It does suck, that I have to rely upon my own faith community to assist me with this necessary medical supply.

Yet, I am grateful for this "tiny" act of assistance every month.
    do you have medicaid? I know medicaid can allow your primary doctor to write you scripts for diapers and you can get coverage for diapers that way because I myself get diapers as well this way. Be advised Medicaid is different from medicare and I have both. Please keep in mind I have 6 cloth diapers as well on top of that. The only diapers I actually pay money for are one's that are convenient (making a mess of myself in public is not fun so I want something high performance usually) or something that I intend to use for regression purposes when I have all my other necessities taken care of since the rent comes first and I get enough diapers through medicaid any how.

Im sure it differs by state, bu what brands does Medicaid cover for you?