Thread: Underplayed Songs

Default Underplayed Songs

I know we have an "overplayed songs" posts going, so i figured it would be interesting to find out opinions on what isn't on the radio very often.

I'm not sure what pop songs to put here, since pop songs get played as they are "pop"ular, and the ones with have staying power in other radio genres such as rock, country, and dance (or heaven forbid, "easy listening")

As far as radio, in general:

• Mr. Roboto, by Styx (is this song, like banned?)
    • Any Michael Jackson songs from after the 1987 album "Bad" (I blame the "Invincible" album even more than his personal life for this)
    • Valentine's Day is probably about the only day of the year you hear Barry White on the radio, if that...
    • "Girl, You Know It's True" and "Blame It on The Rain" by Milli Vanilli (well, there's possibly a reason for the former one...)

It'll be interesting to see what else people have to add to the list...I'm sure I can think of more later.

Falkio

Allow me to produce a list of Underappreciated songs...

1.) Nightmare - Brainbug
    2.) Name of the Game - Crystal Method
    3.) Heart in a Cage - The Strokes
    4.) Pretender - Foo Fighters
    5.) Pojo and the Cows - Pojo...

Trust me when I say that these are great, but undervalued songs! My personal favorite would have to be the Death Jr. theme, but its virtually impossible to find. >= (

As far as radio goes, pretty much every song I like and don't hear would be underplayed...As far as my iPod goes...I'm not really sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Falkio View Post
    5.) Pojo and the Cows - Pojo...
    Hoorah! You get Pojo points! (Pojo points have no cash value)

J. Holiday is rarely played if at all.

Also any and all old school rap is almost never played. Such as Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., Bones Thugs N' Harmony, Wu Tang Clan,......

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Hoorah! You get Pojo points! (Pojo points have no cash value)
    But there redeemable for fun prizes :popcorn: at Pojo land right?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    But there redeemable for fun prizes :popcorn: at Pojo land right?
    Yup...Just visit your local Pojo-kiosk for a brochure of prizes

I actually consider old-school rap as pre-MC Hammer/Vanilla Ice, but yeah, I don't really see any of these rappers either. (well, Notorious BIG's voice has cameo'd in a lot of songs over the past decade, but his own work has lost airplay).

So yeah, it's very difficult to hear anything like the Sugar Hill Gang get any air play (their little rap/funk mix called "Rappers' Delight" changed music history 30 years ago). Strangely enough, Mr. T tried his hand at rap, but that went about as well as William Hung on American Idol, so he went back to acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

Also any and all old school rap is almost never played. Such as Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., Bones Thugs N' Harmony, Wu Tang Clan,......

Float On - Modest Mouse
    Honest Mistake - The Bravery
    Move Your Feet - Junior Senior

All great songs & the only way I can hear them these days is via CD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Float On - Modest Mouse
    Move Your Feet - Junior Senior

All great songs & the only way I can hear them these days is via CD!!
    qoute for truthry.

As for some more, any GOOD depressing song like these..

1. Nearly any song from bright eye's album Fevers and Mirrors
    2."Nothing in My Way" - Keane
    3. "Stop And State" - OneReupblic
    4. "Adam's Song" - Blink-182
    5. "It Ends Tonight" (Acoustc verison)- The All American Rejects (Its less pop and more emotional)
    6. Brick- Ben Folds 5 (Look, any song about a past girlfriend getting a abortion HAS to be sad. At least when its your child too.)
    7. Still (Reprise)- Ben Folds/Ben Folds 5
    8. Gravity - John Mayor
    9. I Am A Rock- Simon and Garfunkel
    10. Losing My Religion- REM
    11. Your Not Going Anywhere - Brad Sucks
    12. Certain Death- Brad Sucks

Note Brad Sucks is a very minor one man band, he has good music but he's not under a label. BUT he does give all his music out for free, though I don't think he minds donations at all. His music can be listened to and downloaded from his website, just goggle Brad Sucks. I also assure you, he clearly does not suck.

Also depressing music isn't bad at all, sometimes it helps to be depressed.

Any and all Pink Floyd. You'd think that an epic band like that would get air time comparable to The Beatles, but it's just not the case.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth? Ignoreland, and Crush With Eyeliner by R.E.M.

Zero by Smashing Pumpkins (1979, Bullet with Butterfly Wings, and Tonight, Tonight always seem to take the cake)