Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is there such thing as external graphic cards?

Default is there such thing as external graphic cards?

Basically... My TV is the secondary monitor for my laptop.
    However, my graphics card has only a few different widescreen resolutions for an external monitor - none of which my TV will accept (it will only accept 1280x768 or something?)
    So right now I have a stretched 1024x768 image on the TV _ looks ridiculous.

Are there devices that will go into the PCM slot thing, or USB, or something that will run high (widescreen) resolutions? I've already searched google and got nout back - but then I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for >.>

help?

you are not going to get much luck really. I don't think USB video out adapters are that popular. So if you do find one they are most likely to be very expensive, for what they do.

I do have a Cardbus VGA out card for an old Jornada I had. Its only purpose was showing old 95 power point presentations. Not very good...

What is up with your laptop, Since when did it not have a VGA port on the back? All laptops I have had had VGA ports. Unless it was an ultraportable laptop, then most of them leave it for the port replicator.

Quote Originally Posted by UnMarth View Post
    What is up with your laptop, Since when did it not have a VGA port on the back? All laptops I have had had VGA ports. Unless it was an ultraportable laptop, then most of them leave it for the port replicator.
    lol, it does have a VGA - but for some reason it doesn't support the widescreen resolution that my TV does

I'm just tired of seeing William Shatner (legend) look even bigger every time i watch Boston Legal thru it _

It could be that your TV uses the PAL signal (which is what is used throughout Europe), but your laptop is outputting an NTSC signal (which is what is used in North America and Japan) which uses different resolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kams View Post
    It could be that your TV uses the PAL signal (which is what is used throughout Europe), but your laptop is outputting an NTSC signal (which is what is used in North America and Japan)
    The TV supports both PAL and NTSC... plus it's A VGA on the TV end aswell... i dunno if that makes a difference though...? lol

the laptop has a D-Video out aswell, which connects to the TV using a scart, but it looks all fuzzy and bleh (plus it only supports 576 by... something... I can't remember)

Have you tried using software to manually set a resolution rather than being locked into what the computer think it should be able to handle? I can't remember what software i was using but i needed to go low as something like 600*480.

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    plus it only supports 576 by... something... I can't remember)
    Yeah, 720x576 is the standard resolution on PAL DVD's.
    Hmm, well I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. It could be A LOT of things. Maybe you should look into getting an Apple TV? I've got one and they're awesome!

Many TV's will limit the VGA input to 1024x768; which is really inconvenient. You can try setting the TV to "RGB-STB" instead of "RGB-PC" if it has an option - LG do, for example - and then selecting manually 1366x768 as your laptop output resolution.
    Powerstrip will let you set ATI/Intel video resolutions manually; nVidia have that feature built-in.

The TV will mostly just have 1270x768.
    All or most TV's do that.

Or if you really really wanted to. get a projector and have that as your TV/Monitor/ God knows what else you can use it for.