Thread: Help with my site

FullMetal

Default Help with my site

Alright. So, I have a site. I don't want to really say the name so I wont but I have a question and will probably have more questions in the future. So, any help would be great.

Ok, the site is run off of Weebly.com and it seems extremely limiting in what I can do. Is there a way I can have members because I am not sure what the process is with that.

Any help will do.

FullMetal

Error404

To have members, you need to have SQL support, failing that, some REALLY advanced CGI stuff (which requires Perl support)

Or you could write some javascript with your own custom encryption...But of course, anyone can EVENTUALLY break that with enough time and effort.

I'd disagree with Error404 here. Never use javascript for encryption.

As for your main question. Since you want members, What is your website? Is it a blog? A forum? A gallery? A mix of all of them?

If your able to program in PHP, Perl, Ruby or Python, I'd advise getting a different host that supports it and uploading a script (or writing your own) that does what you want from your site.

Otherwise I'd get a host from one of the major providers of that kind of site (e.g. wordpress.com for blogs or freeforums.org for forums).

Error404

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamaker View Post

As for your main question. Since you want members, What is your website? Is it a blog? A forum? A gallery? A mix of all of them?

If your able to program in PHP, Perl, Ruby or Python, I'd advise getting a different host that supports it and uploading a script (or writing your own) that does what you want from your site.

Otherwise I'd get a host from one of the major providers of that kind of site (e.g. wordpress.com for blogs or freeforums.org for forums).
    ...So you're disagreeing that javascript is an option? I simply stated JS is an option but is unsecure. O.o

FullMetal

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamaker View Post

It is a blog. See on the site, there is also a forum, and that can have a member base, and you can register/login. The thing is, the blog HAS TO be the main page, it is what the whole site is...

Hmm...I am still not sure what to do...

FullMetal

FullMetal

I am also new to this.
    I created a site on freeforums.org
    Thanks Dreamaker, for pointing me to that site.
    It's fast and easy, I had the site up and running in a couple of hours.
    It uses phpBB3.
    I created a private site, only accessable to to people I allow, it will make the site easier to administer, since I am learning site admin.
    I made one forum for posts, then I just created a second forum and called it blogs.
    You just have to adjust the permissions so that everyone can read it, but only the blog owner can change the content.
    Good luck

Kevin