Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam/pc help

Default Steam/pc help

I downloaded a game on Steam, but it won't let me play it. I tries to load something called Microsoft Vc redist package. After a few moments it fails. Now I have no idea what to do. Any help would be nice.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBabyMagicain View Post
    I downloaded a game on Steam, but it won't let me play it. I tries to load something called Microsoft Vc redist package. After a few moments it fails. Now I have no idea what to do. Any help would be nice.
    What operating system are you using? And what game are you trying to play?

A quick bit of reading suggests that this problem can be caused by a file being inadvertently locked by the OS (in which case, rebooting should help), or a problem with elevating to Administrator privileges (in which case temporarily turning off UAC may help).

So, turn off UAC, reboot, locate the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installer files and try running them manually (by double-clicking them). You'll need to search for them -- they should be in a Steam sub-folder and will have a filename that starts "vcredist_". There may be more than one edition (e.g. vcredist_x86_2008sp1, vcredist_x86_2010, etc.), in which case try installing each of them. But there may also be 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit versions -- only install the ones that are appropriate for your OS (either 32- or 64- bit; not both).

If manually running the installers with UAC disabled doesn't work, perhaps the files became corrupted during the download. You should be able to re-download the Visual C++ Redistributable installers you need via the link below.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019667

Don't forget to turn UAC back on once the game and MS redistributable have installed!

Failing that, do you get any errors in the Event Log?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7

P.S. I haven't used Steam before, so apologies if I've missed something obvious!

I can't seem to redownload the C++ files. The game by the way is Civilization Beyond Earth

I can't seem to redownload the C++ files. The game by the way is Civilization Beyond Earth
    If you browse to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2012, do you see the files vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe?

If so, try running the appropriate one (depending whether you have a 32- or 64-bit OS), and then reboot. You might not be told to reboot, but (apparently) you MUST reboot for the installation to work.

Does that help...?

It did But now my computer said it's installing something so I'm running CCleaner real quick

It did But now my computer said it's installing something so I'm running CCleaner real quick
    Okay -- fingers crossed :-)

If you have any problems, you may need to run the vcredist executable as the Administrator (right-click on the file and choose "Run as Administrator".

Still no luck. It still says something is installing and to finish it first

What's the exact message?

And are there any errors in Event Viewer?

If you have 64Bit windows, try installing the 32bit version of VCRedistributable if installing the 64bit version didn't work. I have this game, and for some reason it wouldn't work until I installed the 32bit version, despite my OS being 64bit.

Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before procceding with this install.