Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bible Defending Transsexuals (Maybe?)

Default Bible Defending Transsexuals (Maybe?)

So I was browsing through my Facebook News Feed the other day, and I saw a picture of a Tumblr post.

It said:
    "I can't accept you for being transgender, the Bible says it's a sin."
    Galatians 3:28 NIV
    "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Damn son, even the Bible isn't transphobic.

--------------------

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Do you think it's actually defending transsexuals, or something else? And if you don't think it's defending it in this verse, do you think the Bible does say it's a sin?

There's been a fair bit of analysis done on this. Christian feminists are quite fond of it.

Personally as an atheist I have a fairly cynical view on the bible. It is largely interpreted as convenient for whatever purpose someone wishes to use it and flavoured by society. I suspect the intent of this passage is to say that men and women are equal to god, and nothing is conveyed with regards to whether transexualism is a sin. By reading anything into it beyond its likely intent, you are just manipulating it to your purpose as others do. Someone could easily do the same to argue the opposite (i.e. by calling it self mutilation).

Analyzing the bible word for word like some kind of lawyer looking for loopholes has always seemed absurd to me. The fact that it's a translated document where many of the specific nuances have probably been lost makes it even more so. I'd say the closest thing to actual meaning you'll get is to look at the likely intent of the people who actually wrote it.
    Last edited by BoundCoder; 29-Dec-2014 at 08:23.

To me, even a casual reading is just saying that what or who you are is unimportant to God/Jesus. Reading the chapter itself, it's Peter's message to the Galatians and seems to be strongly pushing the idea that it isn't about lineage or station or even actions but acceptance and faith in Jesus Christ by which they can be saved. I don't think this has anything to do with transexuals or transgender except in the sense that it means all are saved by faith.

I think any time you're only taking a literal reading of Bible text, you're likely missing the full intended point. I don't place any stock in it one way oer the other, but I don't see this passage as convincing anyone who thinks it's a sin already.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    [...] and nothing is conveyed with regards to whether transexualism is a sin. [...] (i.e. by calling it self mutilation).

[...]
    I would only point out... transexualism isn't an exclusively post-op condition, or situation... there's many who don't go through any sort of medical procedure... FYI...

Otherwise, I generally agree with your assessment... there's much that's lost and assumed in translation alone...

Thank you!
    -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    I would only point out... transexualism isn't an exclusively post-op condition, or situation... there's many who don't go through any sort of medical procedure... FYI...

Otherwise, I generally agree with your assessment... there's much that's lost and assumed in translation alone...

Thank you!
    -Marka
    Fair enough.

Also, I did a quick google and found this: http://www.gotquestions.org/transsex...-disorder.html

It seems to be a fairly good write up from the stance that it is a sin and points out a number of specific parts of the bible that speak more directly to the issue.

I'd like to note that I have no problem with any of this. If a person wants to identify as a toaster I could care less. As an atheist I just feel it's important to avoid apologizing for the bible or hand picking specific phrasings and twisting their meaning to suit societies evolution.

Fair enough.

Also, I did a quick google and found this: http://www.gotquestions.org/transsex...-disorder.html

It seems to be a fairly good write up from the stance that it is a sin and points out a number of specific parts of the bible that speak more directly to the issue.

I'd like to note that I have no problem with any of this. If a person wants to identify as a toaster I could care less. As an atheist I just feel it's important to avoid apologizing for the bible or hand picking specific phrasings and twisting their meaning to suit societies evolution.
    Well, to answer to the link... another translation, that the sin, simply means that it does not do well to procreate... in the strictest of terms... I don't believe that we are at any shortage of simple procreation at this point...

For the record, I do not believe that I am a toaster... in the appliance sense... though I may toast my bread often...

-Marka

The whole Bible verse is:

27For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise. Bible hub has many different translations of the same verses.

Trevor said it best in that the passage is from a letter to the Galatians stating that those who are baptized become one with God regardless of who you are.

What's a toaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    For the record, I do not believe that I am a toaster... in the appliance sense... though I may toast my bread often...
    Speaking of literal interpretations.. sigh!

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    What's a toaster?
    An arbitrary thing. Akin to when people say "I don't care if people are white, black, or purple".

An arbitrary thing. Akin to when people say "I don't care if people are white, black, or purple".
    Ah.

I don't care for the bible, I don't forgive the old testament god for being a bigot and genocidal maniac, that sounds more like a devil, I am no abomination and I don't accept Jesus, I find the whole story to be a lie made up by people trying to control other people, I hate it, and Ive grown to hate my own friends and family for continuously pushing this crap down my throat, and pretty much saying what I believe in is a lie, my beliefs don't come from a book that wasn't even written during Jesus's life, and I have found no evidence other than a fictional book that Jesus ever existed, there are no records of Herod slaying all the new borns, there are no real records from the time Jesus was suppose to have lived, its snake oil, Im happy it helps some people, but I only see it's evil on the world, the same with all Abrahamic religions, its nothing but lies, meant to control people, when people didn't follow the same faith it came to bloodshed or death. They are all just death cults, that focus on an imaginary heavens and hells.

Sorry if my beliefs upset some of you, I hope your faiths make you happy.