Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014, bad year for Malaysia

Default 2014, bad year for Malaysia

Ok so we have had three Malaysian related plane accidents and now two out of three are missing.

MH370 is still missing with no leads or no causes.

MH17 went missing till we found out it was shot down.

and now we have AirAsia 8501, another disappearance (they are pointing out to weather now.)

The airline service has already lost lots of service when MH17 was shotdown and again, it was not the airline's fault and now this is technically Strike Three...I wonder what is going to happen.

Possibly, find the aircraft and nothing out of the ordinary but it is safe to say that 2014 is the worst for Malaysian and the Malaysian Airlines. (Before anyone asks, AirAsia is a Regional airline serving Malaysia)

All together this year, 4 planes went missing (Two missing, two found) without sending distress signals, I fear for the airlines now.

Anyone have anything to say about this?

Could better equipment be the solution, either on the plane or in the tower?

Shall we turn this into the worst of 14 thread moving on after the airlines with Ebola?

Even if they have multiple crashes in a year, it seems that they are neglecting preventative maintenance. Only one of those crashes weren't related to maintenance, but they ignored a no fly zone so they seem to be making bad decisions so it'd they do go under, well, if you don't learn from the first incident them people will look at that as they are making their decision.

Apparently the plane went missing five minutes after the pilot requested to fly higher to avoid storm clouds. It should be noted that the airline company in this incident had a good maintenance and security record without a single crash since it's inception in 2002.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/airasia...umes-1.2884857

I had fewer crashes when I was a kid, flying model airplanes, than they have. An equally big problem is the lack of radar and other instruments to track where all their planes are going down, or so said one of the talking heads today on the news.

The MH370 incident really opened my eyes to the dinosauric state of technology in certain corners of the aviation world. Until then, I'd simply assumed that air traffic controllers had continuous satellite feeds from every commercial airliner and needed only to recall the last digital breadcrumb to find the likely crash site of a missing plane. The fact that we're still using these archaic transponders in the 21st century really is horrifying. And ridiculous. A satellite phone and a GPS are well within the financial reach of the average US citizen, and yet a multibillion-dollar corporation can't glue these two things together and stick them into a multimillion-dollar aircraft? Ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    The MH370 incident really opened my eyes to the dinosauric state of technology in certain corners of the aviation world. Until then, I'd simply assumed that air traffic controllers had continuous satellite feeds from every commercial airliner and needed only to recall the last digital breadcrumb to find the likely crash site of a missing plane. The fact that we're still using these archaic transponders in the 21st century really is horrifying. And ridiculous. A satellite phone and a GPS are well within the financial reach of the average US citizen, and yet a multibillion-dollar corporation can't glue these two things together and stick them into a multimillion-dollar aircraft? Ridiculous!
    Yet, you wanna hear something? Many people (Not working with the government) keep claiming it's a cover up and the plane landed at the Diego airport. I have no evidence as to where is at except the inmarsat data presented even that alone, I don't know myself what happened except for two reasons but I can't say it's that reason unless it pops up what happened.

I feel bad for AirAsia as they had an excellent safety record of no fatalities on board (Like Southwest airlines where nobody died at all on their planes)

(Another pointout for Southwest: 1 hijacker died off the plane but he was a passenger on the plane and a baby died in the car when the plane overran the runway)

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    Yet, you wanna hear something? Many people (Not working with the government) keep claiming it's a cover up and the plane landed at the Diego airport. I have no evidence as to where is at except the inmarsat data presented even that alone, I don't know myself what happened except for two reasons but I can't say it's that reason unless it pops up what happened.

I feel bad for AirAsia as they had an excellent safety record of no fatalities on board (Like Southwest airlines where nobody died at all on their planes)

(Another pointout for Southwest: 1 hijacker died off the plane but he was a passenger on the plane and a baby died in the car when the plane overran the runway)
    Yeah, I've kept up with the conspiracy theories, though none have really impressed me. With so little (public) information, wild extrapolation is relatively easy. Regardless, it seems the answer won't be well-known for some time. Perhaps, in a hundred years or so, private enterprise will find a vaguely plane-shaped artificial reef in the Indian Ocean, much like what happened with Titanic -- although its resting place was considerably less obscure.

This year is most likely a statistical anomaly rather than a symptom of a real problem. Malaysian airline especially had a really bad year.

In the midst of all those tragedies it's still important to remember that flying is safer than driving, biking or walking. Even Malaysian and Air Asia have very good safety records overall.

True, but if they keep this up (Even if they are not at fault) their record will continue to drop.