Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth Diaper Cleaning?

Default Cloth Diaper Cleaning?

I have been using my cloth diaper and I may just be over reacting but there is a smell that the diaper is slowly developing. It is really minor right now but I would like to know how to clean cloth diapers so that they won't have a really strong odor.

I have been using a home made laundry detergent. Borax, baking soda, and a bar of ivory soap. I put this in a food processor and after it being made into granules I let it dry out and put it into a blender.

I have been attaching the Velcro on my diaper and turning it inside out when I put it in the washer and then putting it into the drier.

Is there any more I can do to prevent a strong odor from building up? I have hard water where I live so this may make things difficult.

If you want personal experience advice,

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger
    Ring Ring, Progresso

what temp you washing at ? should be 90deg C
    Also are you pre rinsing them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    If you want personal experience advice,
    Lol, thanks.

So, I add some borax to mine when i clean, you can get it at the store. Also, number one thing to help prevent build up of bacteria, is to rinse out your cloth diaper within 24 hours of using it. I usually bring mine in the shower with me and put it on the floor so it can rinse out while I shower, and then sometimes I'll rinse it out by hand in the shower too. If you can get a bunch of the pee out, it helps a lot. Then I store it in small plastic bags so that the cloth diapers don't touch each other, the less cultures of bacteria that work together, the better. Storing all of the cloth diapers together in one container is just a bio hazard in the end, it smells aweful.

On a side note, I have heard from somebody that throwing some vinigar in the wash every once in a while will also help with the smell. Haven't tried yet, but i might.

Really though, rinsing out the cloth diaper as quickly as possible helps tons.

I've been washing my prefolds now since last spring with no problems. I use Arm&Hammer with Oxi Clean to wash mine.
    I rinse mine right away and then let them soak in my detergent for 3 to 4 hours before I hand wash them.
    I hang mine outside to dry. The sunshine works wonders with them and they smell nice and fresh when I bring them inside.

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    I've been washing my prefolds now since last spring with no problems. I use Arm&Hammer with Oxi Clean to wash mine.
    I rinse mine right away and then let them soak in my detergent for 3 to 4 hours before I hand wash them.
    I hang mine outside to dry. The sunshine works wonders with them and they smell nice and fresh when I bring them inside.
    I tried oleman's suggestion using the Arm & Hammer with Oxi Clean and found it to work well. Like Tyger suggested, I first rinse mine out in the shower, so when they hang up to dry, they're almost clean. I've also used vinegar and that has worked well. I once used bleach and got holes in the fabric so I would be either very careful as to how much I used, or not use bleach at all. As for me, I'll stick with the Arm & Hammer and not use bleach.

As a side note, mothers have been using Borax for decades and have had good success. I'm sure I was a Borax baby. Hey, you can't beat those 20 mule teams.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I once used bleach and got holes in the fabric so I would be either very careful as to how much I used, or not use bleach at all.
    Yeah, bleach is evil to cloth diapers. At least adult ones, i ruined a pair that way.

hello,i had this same problem with my cloth diapers I use as soaker,these are toddler prefolds.striping is easy,first run your diapers thru a wash cycly and cry.next get the largest pot in your kitchen like a large stock pot.fill half with hot tap water and a little bit of detergent.bring to a boil,add a few diapers at a time,let them boil for about 15 minutes.take out diapers,add your next bunch same boil till you finish all.immediately put diapers in washer with hottest water possible and a small amount of detergent,wash then DOUBLE rinse.in last rinse observe that all soap residue is out.add about 3/4 cup of white vinegar finish rinse and dry.the vinegar kills bacteria and lowers the ph levels so you don't get that ammonia buildup,resulting in stink and diaper rashes.