Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Adult Christmas Problems

  1. #1

    Default Adult Christmas Problems

    Everyone's asking me what I want for Christmas but between things I can't ask them to get me (ie DL stuff or things they'd think useless like figures) and things I can't trust them to get (ie i really need a new paint set but I know for sure she either would get the wrong one or not be able to find it in a store... or both). Both my mom and my gf are asking what to get and tbh I can't think of anything :c

    Anyone else have trouble with this, or a similar adult Christmas problem? Christmas was so much easier as a kid, esp because I have money to get most of what I want now, and the stuff I don't have is either like the above or really expensive. And I don't wanna ask for gift cards from my mom and gf. That's okay for more distant relatives, but parent/SO seems much more sentimental.

    Also, not really looking for advice specifically, just kinda getting it out of my system and chatting. Tho, if you wanna advise me or someone else in the thread, go ahead =P I might be overlooking something simple haha

  2. #2

    Default

    Given my sports and hobbies, I'm pretty easy to buy for. As a cyclist, more cycling shorts and gloves can never go wrong since I wear out the old ones frequently, or perhaps a new jersey. Even a gift card for Performance Cycle.... Since I never really know what's going to break or wear out next, or what awesome thing they're going to put in the discount bin for next to nothing.

    More generically, your normal guy is going to love a gift card for Menards or Harbor Freight or Ace.

    I like randomly cool stuff too. Got a previous version of this a few years ago (it was quite a bit less pricey then!) :

    http://thewandcompany.com/sonic/

    Freaked out some friends when they came over to watch football.... and I use it often when Mrs. Maxx has misplaced the regular remote.


    I guess I'm saying that I'm old enough that its more of a thrill to see the grandkids open stuff than to get stuff myself.

  3. #3

    Default

    Not knowing what you want for Christmas is probably a good sign, it means you have everything you want. :P I'm the same, there's nothing that I really want and heaven knows I've got enough stuff littering my flat. That's why I always ask for something consumable, or a good book.

    My family has taken to simply doing Secret Santa each year, so we only have to buy gifts for one person. You save a lot of money too!

    If you really want a good paint set, why not go shopping with them and pick it out yourself? Obviously it'll ruin the surprise, but then if you were to ask for a paint set it wouldn't be a surprise anyway. I'm buying my wife walking boots this Christmas, but she's coming to the shops with me to make sure they fit etc.

  4. #4

    Default

    I pretty much never ask for holiday stuff I need to pick out myself, so games, anything ABDL, and most hobby things don't happen.

    Occasionally, the "gift" has been a promise to go shop later for something. For example, I got a new tennis racket for the holidays a couple years back and that was a voucher when I unwrapped it because you can't buy that without trying out the feel.

    I also like getting clothes, especially nice clothes (shirts and ties), since those are expensive to get yourself but other people often will have good taste for how you'll look in them.

    You could also try functional stuff. New pots and pans if you cook, for example, or stuff like travel gear, hiking gear, new shoes, electronics accessories.

    Also books. Just books.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Given my sports and hobbies, I'm pretty easy to buy for. As a cyclist, more cycling shorts and gloves can never go wrong since I wear out the old ones frequently, or perhaps a new jersey. Even a gift card for Performance Cycle.... Since I never really know what's going to break or wear out next, or what awesome thing they're going to put in the discount bin for next to nothing.

    More generically, your normal guy is going to love a gift card for Menards or Harbor Freight or Ace.

    I like randomly cool stuff too. Got a previous version of this a few years ago (it was quite a bit less pricey then!) :

    http://thewandcompany.com/sonic/

    Freaked out some friends when they came over to watch football.... and I use it often when Mrs. Maxx has misplaced the regular remote.


    I guess I'm saying that I'm old enough that its more of a thrill to see the grandkids open stuff than to get stuff myself.
    Ah, I wish my hobbies were easy to buy for. Not really into sports so I'm down one of the easiest =P



    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Not knowing what you want for Christmas is probably a good sign, it means you have everything you want. :P I'm the same, there's nothing that I really want and heaven knows I've got enough stuff littering my flat. That's why I always ask for something consumable, or a good book.

    My family has taken to simply doing Secret Santa each year, so we only have to buy gifts for one person. You save a lot of money too!

    If you really want a good paint set, why not go shopping with them and pick it out yourself? Obviously it'll ruin the surprise, but then if you were to ask for a paint set it wouldn't be a surprise anyway. I'm buying my wife walking boots this Christmas, but she's coming to the shops with me to make sure they fit etc.
    Ah, there's some I want, just not things my mom would want to get me, and while my gf could get me a figure, I can get a figure really anytime and she wants it to be a bit more special, but likewise she wouldn't wanna buy me any DL stuff, sooooo... There goes that lol. But I actually dislike asking for consumables. I mean, if someone gets that for me, alright, but I like to have something that I'll still see next Christmas, even if I don't use it. Like the hat my sister gave me last year. And hmm I do need to catch up on books... But I'm behind on what the new good reads are =/

    My family is pretty much just me, my sister, and my parents because of their distance or age of relatives. Also both my grams died last year so no real pre-destined spot to gather that feels right. Plus my parents still like to get me something, and I'd feel bad telling them no because I feel like its one of the few things they have left of my childhood since I moved out. On the flip side, my gf's family is doing a white elephant this year, which is basically generic gifts and tbh I'd feel bad getting something I don't really need for any reason (I'm sure a lot of the stuff will go back to the store or on ebay). So we're just gonna get her mom and gram gifts and leave it at that.

    My mom lives three hours away and I work 7 days a week, its gonna be a hassle getting out there for Christmas. Plus like I said, not sure there are any stores near her where she could find 'em =/ Except I just realized there is one, specifically for gaming miniatures, so maybe she'd be able to find it there Thanks for helping me bounce ideas!



    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    I pretty much never ask for holiday stuff I need to pick out myself, so games, anything ABDL, and most hobby things don't happen.

    Occasionally, the "gift" has been a promise to go shop later for something. For example, I got a new tennis racket for the holidays a couple years back and that was a voucher when I unwrapped it because you can't buy that without trying out the feel.

    I also like getting clothes, especially nice clothes (shirts and ties), since those are expensive to get yourself but other people often will have good taste for how you'll look in them.

    You could also try functional stuff. New pots and pans if you cook, for example, or stuff like travel gear, hiking gear, new shoes, electronics accessories.

    Also books. Just books.
    Hmm I could use some new clothes, though I dont really go anywhere except work and places right before/after work, so I'm usually just wearing my uniform if I'm out ^^;;;

    I do cook a lot, but with that said, I have all the pots, pans, and woks I need. Could use a new pair of tongs but that's like a buck at Wal-mart, not even a stocking stuffer =P don't do a lot of outdoorsy stuff, and my shoes are still functional, but maybe I could use a new set of headphones. I dont really use the ones I have, buuuuut I could get some new music and just chill sometime.

    And as for books again, I gotta check out whats new and pick something that sounds good

  6. #6

    Default

    I've found that, short of knowing someone really wants X but hasn't bought X for some reason, the best gifts for adults tend to be boring but functional ones. Something they'd use but isn't on the front of their mind so they haven't thought to buy it.

  7. #7

    Default

    If you want your Mom or GF to buy you a particular paint set, just tell them which exact one you want. I'm sure they understand that if there's one you'd especially like, it makes more sense than them going out and searching for one which might not turn out to be what you're looking for. I generally give my family a few suggestions of things I'd like at Birthday or Christmas, and they're free to either use their own inspiration or get me things they already know I really want. Either way, I'll be grateful for whatever I receive from them, because I know it's a kind gesture, even if it didn't turn out to be precisely the thing I was hoping for.

  8. #8

    Default

    I know what you mean, we always have the same issue in my family. So I always find experience gifts are a good bet, as it frees you from the question of what things people want and it avoids the case of giving people boring, function things or useless widgets.
    Oh, and there's the added bonus of it giving you something extra to talk about - how the experience went - the following Xmas

  9. #9

    Default

    You could always just say "surprise me" and then act delighted (or pretend to be delighted) no matter what you get.

    Oh, and if you're doing any kind of white elephant, I recommend a plush toy. Ideally an elephant. People will think you're funny and you add to the number of people in the world with plush elephants. That's 100% upside.

  10. #10

    Default

    In what is probably one of the biggest reversals from childhood to adulthood, I actually like getting cloths now.

    I _hate_ shopping for cloths and I suck at picking stuff out. Having someone else pick out cloths that look good on me and match and all that stuff I can't seem to get right is actually something I very much like.

    Being an adult isn't having a "real job", owning a car, owning a house, etc. It's getting a box of socks and thinking "oh good, I was running out of these!".

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-Jan-2013, 00:05
  2. Diapers for Christmas or Best Christmas EVER!!!
    By Bokeh in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2010, 20:10
  3. Christmas Eve & Christmas Day Traditions
    By MaryBush in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2009, 08:28
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2009, 03:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.