Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4K tv

Default 4K tv

I don't see the hype of this flat screen does anyone else? In 5 years i will upgrade to 4k i mean yes the picture quality is good on it but there is not enough stuff out in 4k for me to pay 1000s of dollars. I will just stick to my 55 inch 1080P flat screen for now.

Definitely seems like something worth waiting for the price to drop, esp since not much will be in 4k for a while. I'd love to see how video games take advantage of that kind of resolution, tho

Quote Originally Posted by Mawile View Post
    Definitely seems like something worth waiting for the price to drop, esp since not much will be in 4k for a while. I'd love to see how video games take advantage of that kind of resolution, tho
    I so agree with you lol! I hope by 2019 they will drop the price alot

No content. I got burned by the stupid 3D TV which I rarely use the 3D feature on (it's really more fun for games than it is for TV content which there is precious little of).
    I bought an 80" non-3D non-4K instead at this point. Less money, more fun.

Don't even get me started on the slightly less popular beta format.

Even if I had money to burn, I'm not sure what it would do for me. So... nah.

It's definitely in the early adopter phase.

In general that's how stuff progresses. Early adopters who have an interest in the tech and are willing to pay premium prices as soon as it comes out cover the R&D costs until the price drops and mass adoption happens.

This is pretty much true of all tech. I've no interest in 4k, but I bought an SSD back when they were in the "almost half the price of your computer for 32G" range knowing full well that in a few years they'd be way cheaper because I wanted to play with it then.

Unlike 3D, which was really just a big gimmick, I think 4k will eventually take off, because as you said it is a better picture, and unlike 3D making video for 4k doesn't make it too difficult to make edits of the same video for lower resolutions, so more stuff going forward will probably be available for 4k. There are also plenty of people willing to pay the premium now, so it probably won't fizzle out.

I don't get it... VHS was abandoned in favour of DVD... Then we had Blu-Ray... 100Hz refresh rates... 3D, now 4k...

But CDs have virtually disappeared in favour of awful-quality MP3s... SACDs went nowhere, DVD-audio is non-existent, and even FLAC files at 1980s CD quality are hard to come by.

Why is visual entertainment being continually (and needlessly!) improved, yet audio entertainment hasn't even caught up with the technology we had 30 years ago?!

I don't have a TV at all at the moment, but if I decide to get one I wouldn't bother with 3D or 4k or 100Hz (doesn't the high refresh rate make motion look really weird or is that just me?!).

I think a 4K computer monitor would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I don't get it... VHS was abandoned in favour of DVD... Then we had Blu-Ray... 100Hz refresh rates... 3D, now 4k...

But CDs have virtually disappeared in favour of awful-quality MP3s... SACDs went nowhere, DVD-audio is non-existent, and even FLAC files at 1980s CD quality are hard to come by.

Why is visual entertainment being continually (and needlessly!) improved, yet audio entertainment hasn't even caught up with the technology we had 30 years ago?!
    Yeah, I don't understand that either.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Mastering in general has gone to shit imo. I know every generation complains about how shitty modern music is compared to what they liked, but even ignoring the awfulness of the music itself, it's all over compressed (again, old complaint is old) and feels thrown together. Mastering as an art seems to have just vanished from popular music.

It also doesn't help that MOAR BASS became the mark of quality with regards to speaker systems for the mass market. Don't get me wrong, I love powerful lows, but I also like flowing mid and precise highs.

All that said, most of the older stuff I listen to is available in high quality well mastered tracks, and a lot of the indie-ish stuff I listen to puts their stuff out in flac and doesn't compress the shit out of it, but I agree as a trend it's kinda depressing.

I wonder when we will reach a point that they just can't improve it anymore? 256000p? 500000i? It's over nine thousand!