Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDs

Default CDs

Does anyone keep CDs around? Recently I've been burning off CDs to back up all my music in case of a catastrophy. I also like to keep old CDs around for nostalgia.

Does anyone else do anything like this?

CD's are nice for that being on the shelf thing, or as a part of a bigger collection for me. Like, I want physical Strawberry Shortcake and Sofia the First CD's because I have a large collection of that stuff and it fits. Most of the time though, digital music just is more convenient. Hehe.

Mostly I've done the same as Heroine, though if it's a limited edition or rare release, I'll generally keep it to hand - especially if it has particular sentimental value or else a potentially decent resale value. The only time I buy music in non-digital formats nowadays, is if it's a vinyl or 3" CD-R from one of the small independent twee labels I enjoy.

CD's are awesome! They are in the shape of a circle which I like! I basically find CD's helpful for like storing movies I download from youtube since they are helpful to watch when on the road, or put music on them and re-burn onto game consoles (Basically a transfer) I mostly download music onto my phone of Ipod nowadays since technology is mostly relying on you to do that now...that and buy stuff online instead of leaving the comfort of your own home, which is really cool.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine View Post
    Does anyone keep CDs around? Recently I've been burning off CDs to back up all my music in case of a catastrophy. I also like to keep old CDs around for nostalgia.

Does anyone else do anything like this?
    In case of catastrophe, you'd probably be better off digitising the CDs and storing them on a hard drive. CDs gradually decay (and CD-Rs even faster) and the accuracy of ripped data gradually reduces. Hard drives are typically more reliable (and cheaper and more convenient).

If anyone's interested, software like Exact Audio Copy (EAC) is great for ripping the best possible quality file from a CD, and compressing the ripped files into a format like FLAC allows you to preserve full CD-quality whilst reducing storage size.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/flac/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/flacfrontend/

Nearly all of my music is on CD. I've only bought one album online, but only because I couldn't get it on CD and it was available in FLAC format. Most downloads are of terrible quality. MP3s should be free demos, not the actual product!

But I've long since ripped all my CDs and now play the files on my PC (which is linked to the hi-fi). It's bliss to have my whole collection fully indexed and at my fingertips! And I don't need to pay some crazy extra insurance premium to insure the lot as I feel safe with them on my PC (which also gets backed up semi-regularly).

I still have a portable CD/cassette/radio upstairs that I play my CDs on sometimes (like when I'm in the bath or working upstairs).

I... I just... can't believe that CDs make you feel nostalgic... I mean... oh my god... It's like... I suddenly just realised how old I am!!! How long before I wake up one day with no idea how to operate a TV remote control?! Nooooo!!! The future is upon us!

Most of the cd's i bought i keep and use them, unless the cd is close to being worn or not readable then ill make a copy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    In case of catastrophe, you'd probably be better off digitising the CDs and storing them on a hard drive. CDs gradually decay (and CD-Rs even faster) and the accuracy of ripped data gradually reduces. Hard drives are typically more reliable (and cheaper and more covenient
    I'm very wary about keeping anything on hard drive for extended periods of time as a virus once slowed my computer down so much I had to wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows. I lost a lot of music.

The CDs are a relatively safe backup

I'll only get music on CD if it is not available on vinyl. Yes, I'm that guy

Actually, I lied. If I can't get it on vinyl I'll buy the digital download. I only like discs for archiving data.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine View Post
    I'm very wary about keeping anything on hard drive for extended periods of time as a virus once slowed my computer down so much I had to wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows. I lost a lot of music.

The CDs are a relatively safe backup
    Ah... ideally you'd store backups on external drives that aren't attached to the PC (except when you're backing up and the PC is offline). But whatever works for you :-)

I don't have a ton of CDs, but anything I buy I have to get in lossless. If it's a CD, I rip it with EAC. Most of the albums I've bought digital copies of, I've gotten off of Bandcamp (which has lossless in both ALAC and FLAC).

I will admit, not all of my CD rips are in lossless. There are a few I don't care much about that I just keep around because of nostalgia, and of my 4 HDs, only one is 1TB (recently had my other 1TB die) so those albums are in V0 and 320. I would really like to have a few 2-3TB HDs to have a couple of really good backups, I just don't have the money.