Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conventions and non-furries

Default Conventions and non-furries

(Not sure if I should put this in this forum or in off-topic, so move if it needs moved.)

So, I just had a quick question for those of you who have been to a furry convention, do non-furries go to them for whatever reason? I've been considering dropping by Anthrocon just to kinda chill and have fun because while I'm not a furry, I think they're kinda cool and it'd be neat to see all the people who aren't afraid to walk across town in a fursuit.

Also, another question, are the panels things a non-furry could take interest in, or is it a lot of practical furry stuff?

The first one I went to, it was an opportunity to meet some friends I only knew online. I was also generally curious about the cons and had an interest in the suits. The quality of panels varies by convention, but again if you're interested in suits, it seems pretty consistent that you can get good information on crafting and construction.

If you're not really socially plugged in, I would say that any significantly sized furcon would be entertaining enough for a day if you like to look at suits (I'd recommend Saturday). I might be biased because Rainfurrest is sort of the de facto babyfur con, but over time I found it easier to assimilate rather than having to explain how I was just fur-friendly.

I don't go to panels. I'm too busy walking around, talking to friends and making new ones. The dealers den takes up time and I hang out with friends. I only went to two panels. But there is the Fursuit parade. And sometimes a concert.

Hmm... So as a non-furry, it would definitely be worth going at least once to check it out?

I wouldn't mind going to a fur con. I've been interested in the whole furry concept for a while now due to having friends that are furs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanone View Post
    Hmm... So as a non-furry, it would definitely be worth going at least once to check it out?
    If you know people who are going, it's definitely worth it. It's much better with friends or a good opportunity to meet people you've only known online. If it's just for spectacle and you don't mind paying the registration fee, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I wouldn't mind going to a fur con. I've been interested in the whole furry concept for a while now due to having friends that are furs.
    I just wanna get out and do something fun and I love conventions I just didn't wanna get excited for it if it was going to be mostly "how to make better fursuits" or something else a non-furry couldnt really benefit from.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    If you know people who are going, it's definitely worth it. It's much better with friends or a good opportunity to meet people you've only known online. If it's just for spectacle and you don't mind paying the registration fee, go for it.
    I probably know a bunch of people who will be there, but I dont know who they'll be. Then again, Anthrocon is supposedly one of the biggest furry conventions in the US so maybe even a bunch of people from here will be there but yeah, I might even get a tail or something just to not be too plain.

Furs are unlike ABDLs, in that there isn't a major barrier separating furs from non-furs. As a result, the definition of "furry" is less clear and more flexible. However, both groups would wrather be explored first person (to learn about your own furryness) than second person (to look at the furries). (Well, except for the fursuit events. They are there to show off/perform, and are often fun to watch. If only the ABDLs had similar representatives...)

Looking into buying a tail is fine, but being in uniform is the wrong reason to get one. Rushing to be in uniform may betray an unawareness of some finer points, such as neko ears not necessarily being furry.

Also, it is fine to be exploring, discovering, or rediscovering your species. Many furrys change species thought their lives, or relate to multiple species. However, you don't have to default to any particular species. (As a wolf, it is sometimes anyong that so many other wolves aren't actually lupine, just imperceptive and uncreative. These are often the types who carry both modern and archaic weapons and armor. The best reason to be a wolf cub is because they are the cutest and most wonderfulest and have the most fun of anyfur....) You also don't need to be furry per se. Scales, fins, etc are welcome too. Selecting a species does involve learning a bit about it, too. Once I ran into someone who was unaware that his species could change sex.

When considering a species, remember that many furs associate with carnivores or omnivores. If you have herbivorous leanings, it is an easy way to stand out. (An easier way to stand out would be to be a leafy. The furries have an inverted food pyramid, with lots of carnivores, few herbivores, and almost no plants.)

Quote Originally Posted by BitterGrey View Post
    Furs are unlike ABDLs, in that there isn't a major barrier separating furs from non-furs. As a result, the definition of "furry" is less clear and more flexible. However, both groups would wrather be explored first person (to learn about your own furryness) than second person (to look at the furries). (Well, except for the fursuit events. They are there to show off/perform, and are often fun to watch. If only the ABDLs had similar representatives...)

Looking into buying a tail is fine, but being in uniform is the wrong reason to get one. Rushing to be in uniform may betray an unawareness of some finer points, such as neko ears not necessarily being furry.

Also, it is fine to be exploring, discovering, or rediscovering your species. Many furrys change species thought their lives, or relate to multiple species. However, you don't have to default to any particular species. (As a wolf, it is sometimes anyong that so many other wolves aren't actually lupine, just imperceptive and uncreative. These are often the types who carry both modern and archaic weapons and armor. The best reason to be a wolf cub is because they are the cutest and most wonderfulest and have the most fun of anyfur....) You also don't need to be furry per se. Scales, fins, etc are welcome too. Selecting a species does involve learning a bit about it, too. Once I ran into someone who was unaware that his species could change sex.

When considering a species, remember that many furs associate with carnivores or omnivores. If you have herbivorous leanings, it is an easy way to stand out. (An easier way to stand out would be to be a leafy. The furries have an inverted food pyramid, with lots of carnivores, few herbivores, and almost no plants.)
    That was really informational though, while being "in uniform" is kinda my point, i guess its not really to fit in as much as i dont like going to cons out of costume entirely, but because i dont have a fursona, i wouldnt really know how to dress up further than that =P likewise, i know there's a distinct line between nekomimi and furry, i actually explain to people quite often where the line is, usually when someone says "isn't that furry?" or "help i think im furry because i like girls with cat/fox/wolf ears/tail" and i explain what makes furry stuff furry and also point out that despite the connotation on furries theres nothing wrong with enjoying furry things, furry or not (personally if im looking at anthro pics, it really can just be the artist's style that determines whether i like it or not)

Quote Originally Posted by Kanone View Post
    That was really informational though, while being "in uniform" is kinda my point, i guess its not really to fit in as much as i dont like going to cons out of costume entirely
    Thanks. Might you have a T-shirt of a favorite anime? Not many furs have ears and tails, but most wear T-shirts. In a crowded con, the T-shirt might also help as a conversation piece if it is rare/obscure enough.