Thread: Awkward compliment?? from some random guy - what???

Default Awkward compliment?? from some random guy - what???

Okay so remember I'm male-bodied, pretty-much asexual (as far as I have ever conceived), and anyone giving such compliments would be awkward....but some guy, like 40s-50s for the second day, had to stop and reiterate that "you're so blessed....you can walk into a store and buy anything [to wear]"...That I've got the body for it...blah blah... I don't know how to handle such comments... I can't tell if he's hitting on me or just flattering me or envious or what??? I'm rather socially inept (call me ignorant, I never know anything). All I kept saying is, not always, sometimes I'm too small for the sizes that are there...

Like I'm not actually healthy, I don't eat right/enough lol. I don't know what the deal is with this man, but I find it creepy and I'm not sure what to say... Anyone else had similar experience??

Quote Originally Posted by Plushie View Post
    Okay so remember I'm male-bodied, pretty-much asexual (as far as I have ever conceived), and anyone giving such compliments would be awkward....but some guy, like 40s-50s for the second day, had to stop and reiterate that "you're so blessed....you can walk into a store and buy anything [to wear]"...That I've got the body for it...blah blah... I don't know how to handle such comments... I can't tell if he's hitting on me or just flattering me or envious or what??? I'm rather socially inept (call me ignorant, I never know anything). All I kept saying is, not always, sometimes I'm too small for the sizes that are there...

Like I'm not actually healthy, I don't eat right/enough lol. I don't know what the deal is with this man, but I find it creepy and I'm not sure what to say... Anyone else had similar experience??
    You nod and say "thank you" and don't stop walking to wherever you're going.

Yeah even if he is trying to hit on you, are you even interested? Simply take it as a compliment

Perhaps you've been frowning a bit and he tried to cheer you up? Although it may not have worked that much in hindsight.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as he didn't change directions and followed you everywhere it's nothing to worry about. He just tried to be nice one way or another. You only have not be too keen of it, which is absolutely okay.
    It's the problem of giving compliments that make both parties happy, so knowing the line between impersonal ones that are still charming and those that cross the line between strangers. And this is a quite subjective point of view sometimes.

What I mean is maybe you've simply been a means to an end, inartfully expressed. It's a way of learning to flirt. There's no pressure in it. It's absolutely full freedom to fail even though it's not failing. It's only cheering someone's drab monotony of everyday life up with a compliment that they may feel good about. It shows how easy it actually is to say "Hi".

It's been an awkward one, but I think it's better as someone that simply stares at you and way better as as only seeing people with vacant expressions.

Okay. Was just the fact that it was 2 days in a row - it was a compliment one day, awkward the second. Haven't seen him since, so maybe I'm good. I don't know how to take compliments - in my experience, that's usually someone mean trying to mess with my head... But then again, I don't really have confidence either so...I guess it's just new to me.

I used to have it happen to me all the time when I was much younger. I had lived my four years of college with another guy, so I knew what was up. Compliments when they're flirting are okay as long as they don't go beyond that. I had two guys in a parking lot where my car was parked, give me the old, "Do you know where the shopping mall is? Could you get in the car and show us?" I jumped in my car and took off, and they followed in their Lincoln. I was driving my 340 Duster that was built for the 1/4 mile track and I left them in the cloud of my rear tires burning.

If you see this guy again and he does the same thing, just say thanks and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Plushie View Post

I'm sorry about the awkwardness of the compliments. I find that often the best thing to do with an unwanted compliment or advance is just to laugh it off, and be careful not to put yourself in a vulnerable position.

Your post did make me think of an interaction I had yesterday. I went to a cool all night coffee shop nearby to do some studying. I go there pretty often. I don't really know anyone who works there, but I do recognize them and some of them probably recognize me. Anyway, I went up to the counter to order. The guy there taking orders just happens to be very good looking in my opinion. I have admired him from afar before. I doubt he ever noticed though. When I walked up his immediate greeting was "How's it going beautiful?" I just smiled and said "Good how about you?" I have to say I was caught off guard. Not something I'm used to hearing I think it's likely that he just says this to customers in general to catch them off guard and make them feel good. But I'm not really sure want to think. Regardless of the sincerity of his compliment, I know it made me feel good. I hope he's working next time I go back. I may try to talk with him some, and see what the interaction is like. I have no idea if he is attracted to guys or not. But I have to admit I'm curious

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    I'm sorry about the awkwardness of the compliments. I find that often the best thing to do with an unwanted compliment or advance is just to laugh it off, and be careful not to put yourself in a vulnerable position.

Your post did make me think of an interaction I had yesterday. I went to a cool all night coffee shop nearby to do some studying. I go there pretty often. I don't really know anyone who works there, but I do recognize them and some of them probably recognize me. Anyway, I went up to the counter to order. The guy there taking orders just happens to be very good looking in my opinion. I have admired him from afar before. I doubt he ever noticed though. When I walked up his immediate greeting was "How's it going beautiful?" I just smiled and said "Good how about you?" I have to say I was caught off guard. Not something I'm used to hearing I think it's likely that he just says this to customers in general to catch them off guard and make them feel good. But I'm not really sure want to think. Regardless of the sincerity of his compliment, I know it made me feel good. I hope he's working next time I go back. I may try to talk with him some, and see what the interaction is like. I have no idea if he is attracted to guys or not. But I have to admit I'm curious
    Wow, that's cool. Let me know how it goes!