Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Popular things you didn't enjoy?

Default Popular things you didn't enjoy?

So yeah, what are some popular or revered things you just don't like - can be anything from films considered to be 'classics', to foods everyone else seems to like, or much-loved famous figures you just don't get the appeal of. I'll start us off...

'1984' by George Orwell - Includes some prescient and accurate predictions about the future which have obscured the fact that this is a truly tedious novel which sledgehammers its point home in the most boring way possible. I actually enjoy some of Orwell's other works, but as an engaging text, I found this to be a failure.

Olives - No. Go away Olives. You're not tasty.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - It's clever, it's kind of original, and on paper the cast is pretty stellar. But it's just not funny or engaging. I watched the first two seasons, hoping it would be even half as good as Seinfeld (which Larry David wrote brilliantly for), and it was nowhere close. Perhaps I'm missing something?!
    Last edited by Sanch; 01-Dec-2014 at 11:46.

Pokemon was REALLY big when I was in grade school, and seems to continue to be somewhat of a cultural touchstone among my peers. I tried to get into it when I was a kid, but I never really connected with it. I still don't really understand the appeal, but to each their own.

I think olives are one of my favorite foods ;p

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    Pokemon was REALLY big when I was in grade school, and seems to continue to be somewhat of a cultural touchstone among my peers. I tried to get into it when I was a kid, but I never really connected with it. I still don't really understand the appeal, but to each their own.

I think olives are one of my favorite foods ;p
    I kind of agree, Bean. I quite liked Pokemon, but never understood why so many people were absolutely obsessed with it. I feel exactly the same way you do about Pokemon with MLP. One of my best friends is a Brony and has tried to explain the lure of the whole thing, but I just don't get the appeal.

I'm not with you on Olives. They are terrible.

olives are on my signature sub sandwich that has become a subway legend at our local subway

here is what makes up "The Dagger", my signature sub

12 Inch Italian herb and cheese bread
    Lettuce
    Tomato
    Onion
    Roughly 3 cups of black olives
    banana peppers
    a FEW jalapeŮos
    a bit of yellow mustard
    a bit of brown mustard
    half a bottle of honey mustard

not surprisingly, I'm the only person who orders this sub...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SirNapsALot View Post
    So yeah, what are some popular or revered things you just don't like...

'1984' by George Orwell - Includes some prescient and accurate predictions about the future which have obscured the fact that this is a truly tedious novel which sledgehammers its point home in the most boring way possible. I actually enjoy some of Orwell's other works, but as an engaging text, I found this to be a failure.
    Gasp! I loved "Nineteen Eighty-Four"! Somehow I was drawn into the world, and the absurd lengths to which an ideology was taken. Absolutely brilliant.

I read Orwell's "Coming Up for Air" some time later, and that was a dreary book. I hadn't heard anything about it. (And seriously, read the "plot description" on Wikipedia! Who thought that would make a good story?! And it's even more dreary and depressing than it sounds!) But I do keep meaning to read Animal Farm... But anyway...
    ----

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley
    . is well-known and widely acclaimed, much like "1984". So many people think it's a work of genius, and (to me), it seems like an idea for a vaguely interesting sci-fi film. But... the way it's written is terrible! Every character in it is dull and wooden, with no personality. It's like a physical concept has been sketched out with no thought to the people in the story. I don't understand why so many people rave about it...

Football. (Okay... any professional spectator sport.) Why? Just... why? It's a game... A fun, jolly game. Why do people get so excited about something that should be "a bit of a laugh"? Why do they care who kicks the ball in a particularly "good" way? Why do they tend to support a particular team, and not just enjoy good sportsmanship? It's all so alien to me. And yet people think I'm mad!

Ketchup. Well... barely adequate condimentage in a burger (you want relish!), but with chips?! Bleurgh! Pass the mayonaisse!

Lager. (As in mass-produced, non-living beer.) Now, now, now... I'm not saying I won't drink it... I'm just saying I'll resent the fact that I have to! A tasty ale (with live yeast) gives so much more pleasure than a bland, insipid load of chemicals... especially from a can.

Smartphones. Just... WTF?! I've worked in IT all my life, I went to university, I spend half my life using a computer... So I'm not stupid! But my bloody smartphone is! It's so slow and confusing. I feel like I've sold my life to Google (it's an Android phone), and nothing works when I want it to! The GPS takes about 15 minutes to tell me that I'm 200 miles away from where I actually am. Cutting and pasting text is like mastering a musical instument! The bizarre, arbitrary, yet precise number of taps and swipes required to select, cut, change apps, then paste is a game in itself! No wonder smartphones don't have a version of Snake pre-installed! The whole bloody user-interface is just one massive game of Snake!

The Office. (As in, the TV comedy series starring Ricky Gervais). When I first watched this my heart sank. The jokes fell flat... because... that's what working in a dull, lifeless office is really like! It just reminded me of the most inanely depressing parts of my working life ever, and I couldn't see beyond that to actually laugh at any of it... The humour was just too tragically real...

Soap operas. Just... who the f*** cares?! (Sorry!)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Football. (Okay... any professional spectator sport.) Why? Just... why? It's a game... A fun, jolly game. Why do people get so excited about something that should be "a bit of a laugh"? Why do they care who kicks the ball in a particularly "good" way? Why do they tend to support a particular team, and not just enjoy good sportsmanship? It's all so alien to me. And yet people think I'm mad!
    I love football, but I agree that it should be a laugh, and something people play and watch for entertainment and to enjoy themselves. I find the intensity and bitterness of club rivalries to be weird and often overly vitriolic, even if it's easy enough to get caught up in the fervour when you're watching the club you support play a rival team.

I've never been someone whose mood throughout each week is dictated by how the team I follow did at the weekend. I enjoy it if Man United win, I'm usually frustrated if we lose. But that doesn't dictate my mood in anything more than the short-term. I find it bizarre how some people will remain elated or dejected for long periods depending on the football results.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny
    The Office. (As in, the TV comedy series starring Ricky Gervais). When I first watched this my heart sank. The jokes fell flat... because... that's what working in a dull, lifeless office is really like! It just reminded me of the most inanely depressing parts of my working life ever, and I couldn't see beyond that to actually laugh at any of it... The humour was just too tragically real...

I'm absolutely on board with these two. I think most discerning people realise that the soaps are unanimously dreadful, though. As for The Office, I couldn't agree more. David Brent wasn't funny for me. It was just like working for a nightmare boss, but instead of getting paid for it, it was supposed to be entertainment. I don't get Ricky Gervais as a whole. He doesn't strike me as remotely likeable or witty.

Sports - no. I don't want to watch a bunch of overpaid rapists play a game.

The Beatles - they're good. I suppose I'm posting this because I feel like they get too much attention for being exactly good.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNapsALot View Post
    Yeah I didn't care much for 1984 either.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post

I agree with sports. It seems weird. Me personally, I don't care to watch sports at all. I would rather play the games.

And soap operas. Yeah. I have never understood soap operas or their existence. Some of them have like 90 seasons and have been around for 40 years...seriously?! Why? What is so great about them? I can't understand spending so much time watching a show that (from what I've seen) can be exactly the same as real life. Why not just walk out your front door? I can understand watching fantasy/science fiction shows and movies or shows that aren't such but are of situations you will probably never experience.

And even stranger to me are the few actors who have been in the same soap opera for 30+ years (I looked up a couple of soap operas on IMDB once). I guess it could be easy money, but it's weird to me.

Hip-Hop and Rap music -- So far I have never heard any that I like. So far everything I've heard I've just found to be annoying. Sometimes very annoying.

Apple gadgets.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPod but I know a girl who as an iPod, iPhone and an iPad and trades them in for the newest one Everytime they make one which which is every two weeks or so! They're overpriced and who needs that many gadgets??? What are you doing with your life to need all that crap!

Chipotle.

They're pretty good. They are not crap your pants freak out "omg!!!" good. I have seen gaggles of girls....(I think a gathering of skinny blond chicks is called a gaggle) Anyway I have seen gaggles of them jumping up and down and squealing like they are about to meet some celebrity over a Danm burrito. Stop it. No.

I'm gonna second the sports thing.... Boring.

Oh!

Bacon.

The candy of meat? Are you serious? Put it on everything? Are you serious?
    Denny's sold bacon Sundays. Let that sink in ICE CREAM AND BACON! For Christs sake. BACON IS NOT THAT GOOD IT DOESN'T BELONG ON EVERYTHING! It's not even that good for you. It clogs up your heart and makes you die early, stop putting it on everything it's gross!

Inception - It billed itself as a movie for those that like to think but it was the most mindless, bullet-flying piece of crap I watched that year. Everyone ate it up, I wanted my $10 back when I came out the theater.