Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eternal Damnation

Default Eternal Damnation

Please don't jump on me lol I know the majority of adisc-ites are very understanding/open about things regarding sexuality and religion, but I would like an intelligent answer or maybe even justification toward "perverse intimacy." I doubt myself on a lot of things, and I would just like some reassurance

The topic of hell and damnation has been an issue with me for quite some time, especially with my present circumstances...

I live with my aunt and uncle due to a custody dispute with my parents that eventually carried over to their threshold - but that aside, they're extremely religious, so these questions have been haunting me even more so lately.

Will I go to hell for having a male partner? Would God hate me for having a sexual desire towards diapers? My church condemns both behaviors and, by church law, I've been excommunicated ipso facto or latae sententiae. I receive all "sacraments" and do the whole catholic thing, but the one thing I don't agree with is the topic of sexuality. How is it wrong?

If somebody could grant some enlightenment on this topic, it would be greatly appreciated. I ask that nobody flame religions here, as I know its a bit of a touchy issue...

Thanks for reading

-Justin

Dude, since God knows everything, and he made everything, he wouldn't hate you. That would be hypocritical.

If you believe in your religion and it says that those things are bad and you will go to Hell for doing them, then you can either change your behavior, change what you believe, or believe that your actions will lead you to Hell. Some might say that changing your beliefs in this matter is simply an effort to assuage your guilt over sinful behavior and redefine "goodness" to suit yourself. I have to look at it in more practical terms. For the record, even when I was religious, I didn't buy into Hell as a literal place, so perhaps my bias shows.

If God exists (I tend to think he doesn't, but for purposes of this post, I'm going to pretend that he does rather than keep dithering back and forth- I'm also sticking with a nominally Christian god since that fits the OP's question), does he tell us to do the right thing because it is right, or could he have just as easily told us the opposite? Is God a teacher, giving us the best course for life or is he whimsical, deciding what is right and wrong and having people suffer for it? I prefer the teacher model, which means that ultimately questions of right and wrong are ours to resolve, and that religious teachings are a guideline to hew to right and avoid wrong.

If that is the case, I have a hard time seeing what is wrong with homosexuality. The worst I can see is that if everyone practiced it, our species would die out. There seems little risk of that, so where is the harm if two consenting adults find love? What clothes one chooses to wear likewise seems morally neutral, particularly if not flaunted in an openly sexual context. Maybe upon further reflection you'll come to different decision, but I think you're going to have to give the matter some thought over time in order to be satisfied with the outcome.

I'd suggest leaving your church. Your sexuality isn't going to change (most likely), and being around people condemning it is only going to bring you suffering...

There's plenty of Christians and churches out there who have no problem with it at all, and plenty of Christian thinkers who say it's alright. Some churches just seem to cling onto obscure Bible passages as a means to support their homophobia.
    I'd look in to finding a better church, but obviously I don't quite know your situation and how easy that would be.
    You could just bite your tongue and ignore the bad bits in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    If you believe in your religion and it says that those things are bad and you will go to Hell for doing them, then you can either change your behavior, change what you believe, or believe that your actions will lead you to Hell. Some might say that changing your beliefs in this matter is simply an effort to assuage your guilt over sinful behavior and redefine "goodness" to suit yourself. I have to look at it in more practical terms. For the record, even when I was religious, I didn't buy into Hell as a literal place, so perhaps my bias shows.

If God exists (I tend to think he doesn't, but for purposes of this post, I'm going to pretend that he does rather than keep dithering back and forth- I'm also sticking with a nominally Christian god since that fits the OP's question), does he tell us to do the right thing because it is right, or could he have just as easily told us the opposite? Is God a teacher, giving us the best course for life or is he whimsical, deciding what is right and wrong and having people suffer for it? I prefer the teacher model, which means that ultimately questions of right and wrong are ours to resolve, and that religious teachings are a guideline to hew to right and avoid wrong.

If that is the case, I have a hard time seeing what is wrong with homosexuality. The worst I can see is that if everyone practiced it, our species would die out. There seems little risk of that, so where is the harm if two consenting adults find love? What clothes one chooses to wear likewise seems morally neutral, particularly if not flaunted in an openly sexual context. Maybe upon further reflection you'll come to different decision, but I think you're going to have to give the matter some thought over time in order to be satisfied with the outcome.
    I think I need to reflect on that...

Thanks a lot

Butterfly Mage

The Episcopal and Lutheran churches are more accepting of gay members than the Catholics ever will, and the liturgy/theology is about 95% the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    The Episcopal and Lutheran churches are more accepting of gay members than the Catholics ever will, and the liturgy/theology is about 95% the same.
    I've grown up Catholic and I know that its authority comes directly from the bishops and Pope in unison, which, after reading and studying and analyzing to Hell and back, were in fact given no small amount of divine "say-so" in the grand scheme of things.

I really think it's just a matter of what was put to the root, so to speak; I grew up Catholic, it's only natural to fear a hierarchy...

Well I never seen the bible or anyone mention that diapers are a sin. As for homosexuality that's a different matter. But I am not gay or even bi and I can't say what god thinks is a sin.

I think my major problem with homosexuality these days is just that it doesn't make sense on the reproductive scale. Two woman can't have babies and two men can't either. So either way its going against nature and I guess that just means its a fluke/mistake, but if you like it live with it I guess. But at the same time its impossible to have kids with your spouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Well I never seen the bible or anyone mention that diapers are a sin. As for homosexuality that's a different matter. But I am not gay or even bi and I can't say what god thinks is a sin.

I think my major problem with homosexuality these days is just that it doesn't make sense on the reproductive scale. Two woman can't have babies and two men can't either. So either way its going against nature and I guess that just means its a fluke/mistake, but if you like it live with it I guess. But at the same time its impossible to have kids with your spouse.
    True.. but.. why is it okay for a straight couple to perform sex if one or both of them is unable to bear/give life?

Quote Originally Posted by Jussen View Post
    I've grown up Catholic and I know that its authority comes directly from the bishops and Pope in unison, which, after reading and studying and analyzing to Hell and back, were in fact given no small amount of divine "say-so" in the grand scheme of things.

I really think it's just a matter of what was put to the root, so to speak; I grew up Catholic, it's only natural to fear a hierarchy...
    I've grown up Catholic as well, and my church (nor any one I have been to) has any problem with gays. The way they've always taught me, is that God wouldn't make something he doesn't love. So in short, no, you're not going to go to hell for loving another man.