Thread: Pretend Play, or Parallels with Littles

Default Pretend Play, or Parallels with Littles

I was talking to a friend the other day about her toddler, and she was discussing how little ones enjoy what's known as Pretend Play (e.g. 'cooking' with a toy oven, 'calling someone' with a toy phone), and it got me thinking about what an interesting parallel we ABs/Littles might have with actual young ones.

Just as babies, toddlers and kids find enjoyment in pretending to act like an adult and to do things like 'cook' or play 'shopkeeper' which we think of as chores or a job, ABs/Littles do much the same thing vice versa, as, to an extend do DLs. Many of us like pretending to learn to talk, which can actually be kind of hard work and frustrating for little ones, and most ADISCers seem to love having our diapers changed, which actual littles tend to treat as a chore which interrupts the fun of their playtime!

So it got me thinking - are we essentially doing the same type of play as they are, albeit on a more intellectual and self-dependent level? Is this the same process of copying behaviours of other ages which we find exciting, but real individuals of that age might find dull or challenging? Or am I just reading too much into all this? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!

I volunteer with kids, and that involves playing with them. But that's just one preposition. I believe it's key to also play by and like them. Playing by them can be as simple as getting down on the floor with them. The playing like them can sometimes be a tad harder, as it involves shedding some level of inhibition.

I do work in retail, and sometimes will find as slightly older kid (think 5-7 range) who will want to play in the play kitchen. It's a fun "teachable" moment when we work on making "change" at the register. I also find it amusing when even toddlers know to swipe the play credit card on the register.

Dealing with the kids while playing store is generally a more pleasant experience than dealing with the "grown ups" when I'm doing it for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoise View Post
    I volunteer with kids, and that involves playing with them. But that's just one preposition. I believe it's key to also play by and like them. Playing by them can be as simple as getting down on the floor with them. The playing like them can sometimes be a tad harder, as it involves shedding some level of inhibition.

I do work in retail, and sometimes will find as slightly older kid (think 5-7 range) who will want to play in the play kitchen. It's a fun "teachable" moment when we work on making "change" at the register. I also find it amusing when even toddlers know to swipe the play credit card on the register.

Dealing with the kids while playing store is generally a more pleasant experience than dealing with the "grown ups" when I'm doing it for real.
    Some really good points here. I think being an AB/Little draws you towards enjoying playing with kids because you like playing like a kid, whereas a fondness for actual little ones means you enjoy the company of the child more than the activity in and of itself. Of course the two things aren't mutually exclusive - I love playing games with my Goddaughter, partly because she's just adorable, and partly because she has some pretty great toys!

Obviously playing store is more fun than the experience of doing it as a job, but that's partly because you're doing it in a context without all the stress that comes with the working world. Similarly, when ABs/Littles do things like wearing a bib during mealtimes, we enjoy it because it's fun and cute to us, but for actual toddlers, bibs are just an annoying consequence of the fact that eating cleanly is pretty tough. I think it's all about context. Actions or activities which aren't an everyday duty for us is naturally going to seem like more fun.