Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else bothered by the lack of coherent spelling and grammar in some posts?

Default Is anyone else bothered by the lack of coherent spelling and grammar in some posts?

Personally, it's like nails on a chalkboard when I have to read something that makes no sense whatsoever. Things like mistaking "to" for "too" and other small instances don't get to me, but when there is no capitalization, run-on sentences, an obvious need for conjunctions...dear god. Go read a book or something.

Quote Originally Posted by TenSwords View Post
    Personally, it's like nails on a chalkboard when I have to read something that makes no sense whatsoever. Things like mistaking "to" for "too" and other small instances don't get to me, but when there is no capitalization, run-on sentences, an obvious need for conjunctions...dear god. Go read a book or something.
    We have this discussion periodically. For me, the most difficult posts to read are the wall of texts that are one big, run-on paragraph. I don't access this site by cell phone, so maybe those who do have trouble formalizing that which they write. Occasionally I will type in the word "and" when I want to say "I". I usually catch it when I edit, but I come on ADISC late at night after I get my wife on her dialysis machine, and I'm tired.

I've often thought there are members who are drinking a lot of alcohol or toking a joint, and that of course will lead to writing mistakes. Actually, I can forgive that as I used to be quite a toker when I was in college....sigh. I also realize that some members haven't had the educational opportunities that I've been blessed with, sometimes because of money constraints.

I hope that none of us ever stop learning, so coming on this site and responding to threads can be an opportunity to improve one's writing. I think it's improved mine, that, and the ability to reason logically and put it down into some sort of coherent written form.

OK so you do realize there are people on here who do have real learning disabilities as well as mental disabilities that prevent them from typing in perfect for right. #1 I am one of them I failed English all four years of high school even with shelling out $200 a month in private tutoring and absolutely 0 free time ever. And I still can't write well. So before you go on a rant on why some people who can't do something that is super easy for you shouldn't be able to use this site

I am quite OCD afflicted. Spelling, grammar, and punctuation are important to me. I have been getting better however. I do have some issues where if something is missing or out of place, I cannot do the original intended task without finding the missing item, and fixing what was wrong. In other areas such as cleaning, I'll either have a messy room or so neat and clean you could lick the floor and not even encounter a germ. As for working hard, I love it. Exercise and helping people without getting much of anything in return is something I live for. I notice when others mess up and try to teach them proper ways without being rude. Unfortunetely, most take even the most well intended action or comment, as rude or thoughtless of me. I apologise but it doesn't make the person less mad. What I have been doing is, I'll see an issue, then fix it in my own mind by using the misspelled word in my own sentences while still making well... sense. That has been an effective coping mechanism for me. Even more postive, no one gets mad at me. I do not know if what I typed will help, but I am acknowledging the fact that people mess up and it does indeed bother me. I am aware of learning disabilites and other such reasons. I myself dealt with a slower learning disability. I do not see it around anymore but it was in my younger days that the issue was present. Best of luck to you in dealing with improper sentences and English.

Bold=My emphasis... you are not compelled, nor obligated to read anything beyond your desires or intentions...

I read what I can... I understand what I can (I ask for clarification otherwise, or move on)... I have a rampant case of chronic ellipsis myself...

Aside from the generally prescribed usages... It saves me from my former tendency especially... to be entirely too verbose, while attempting to make my statements unmistakeably interpreted as I had intended... and wound up with too much work, and too many TL;DR's... which may be a product of what may be OCD, and ADD... a particular conundrum...

Wall-o-text's are difficult for me to read... and I may offer a neutral rep, or a PM to the authors of such... otherwise quote them, but with added line spacing...

Alcohol, emotions, drugs (including medically prescribed) ... learning issues, thought conveyance issues, fatigue, impatience, and even on occasion software issues, and any number or combination of things may contribute...

We have had in the past... some rather seemingly hostile engagements on this very matter... School House Rocks ADISC, was formed in the hopes that help could be brought to those who sought to improve their skills... and that those who had them, would share...

I think it's been over one year or more, since this issue has been raised...

Ranting, badgering, or belittling, chastising, etc... seemed to be of no use, or improvement to the issue...

Take the bad with the good, my friend... chill... I'm sure that we can help you get through this difficult period too!

Respectfully,
    -Marka

Sometimes there are posts that are hard to read. But this is a site of acceptance and as mentioned before, there is a wide variety of diversity here (education, nationalities, disabilities, etc.). I just take it all in stride. I've certainly made my mistakes and have caught some of them. Thank goodness for spell check!

additionally, some people are writing from their touch screen phones which are such a pain to type on in my opinion. Many times I find myself rather lazy and sneak by with the occasional implied punctuation or grammar. Also, as aforementioned, yeah, there are plenty of disabilities on this site that one has to take into consideration and be sensitive about. I highly doubt anyone here is typing poorly just to annoy people.

I find interesting that this is a site of acceptance, yet we seem to be unaccepting of the unaccepting.

For what it's worth, if you ever see very silly typos from me (like coukd instead of could or if/of mixups) I 100% guarantee you I was not only typing on my phone, but doing so just before going into a subway and just wanted to get the post up without proofing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
    I find interesting that this is a site of acceptance, yet we are unaccepting of the unaccepting.
    its like being intolerant of intolerance xDD