Thread: Greetings!

Default Greetings!

Hello, community! I have been a closeted, quiet non-participant for a long time, but finally feel comfortable enough to want to join this lovely looking group. Not feeling completely isolated sounds great, haha.
    I have a wonderful live-in girlfriend, two insane kittens, and five little fish.
    My girlfriend knows, but is totally against it and any indulgence whatsoever, so here I am seeking support from peers.
    Best wishes to whomever is reading :-)

Welcome iWish! You have come to the right place for support. There have been many here in the same predicament as yourself. Short answer: Don't push your lifestyle on your gf and keep communicating!

Otherwise, besides you kitties and fishies, what other kinds of non-DL activities do you enjoy?

Welcome to ADISC! Awesome pets, I have three ferrets, four chinchillas, and also a live in girlfriend and i know how you feel, my gf accepts what I do but she wants no part in it either. But at least I know she's accepting. But yeah, its super friendly here. I mean, there's the occasional troll or weirdo, but eh, it happens. 99.9% good times here

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    Short answer: Don't push your lifestyle on your gf and keep communicating!

Otherwise, besides you kitties and fishies, what other kinds of non-DL activities do you enjoy?
    The communication thing is a continual struggle. Hard to be completely and totally open and honest when there's going to be a predictably unpleasant response. Her initial response was like WTF, then shifted into trying to be really accommodating and experimenting with it with me, but then devolved to something like "it's not a good habit for you and you shouldn't do that at all anymore. I don't want them in the house." Joining ADISC is my attempt at another outlet.

I'm sure I'll eventually get to read a whole bunch of opinions on this topic, but is the general consensus that this isn't a thing that can be suppressed, even if most here wouldn't want to anyway? I know I can't be the first one to ask.

In other news, League of Legends (just made a group!) is probably my most involved hobby. Then it's techie stuff like building and playing with computers, discovering new places with my girlfriend, traveling out of town to visit my friends and family.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kanone View Post
    Welcome to ADISC! Awesome pets, I have three ferrets, four chinchillas, and also a live in girlfriend and i know how you feel, my gf accepts what I do but she wants no part in it either. But at least I know she's accepting. But yeah, its super friendly here. I mean, there's the occasional troll or weirdo, but eh, it happens. 99.9% good times here
    Thanks, man. It seems like a legit community.
    On the girlfriend thing, I read somebody elsewhere on the boards saying that they'd prefer their partner be totally against it rather than indifferent for the sake of openness or uniformity or something, but I must say I envy your position. Did she/you set any sort of ground rules?

Quote Originally Posted by iWish View Post
    but then devolved to something like "it's not a good habit for you and you shouldn't do that at all anymore. I don't want them in the house."

On the girlfriend thing, I read somebody elsewhere on the boards saying that they'd prefer their partner be totally against it rather than indifferent for the sake of openness or uniformity or something, but I must say I envy your position. Did she/you set any sort of ground rules?
    My gf used to be like that. She was understanding at first, really neutral, but then she saw them in the garbage and got upset. But recently she's been more open to letting me do it, I think she was just overwhelmed at first but now that she's spent more time with me and opened up more about herself, she can handle it better.

The only ground rules are I dont ask her to participate, I make sure to keep it hidden from her sight, and I keep everything clean (ie take out garbage regularly). And tbh I can agree with that. It's a step back from my last girlfriend who was super into it too, but I don't miss having that aspect as much as I thought I would, considering how much I wanted it. But really, having that passive acceptance is much better than the disapproval. To each their own, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanone View Post
    It's a step back from my last girlfriend who was super into it too, but I don't miss having that aspect as much as I thought I would, considering how much I wanted it.
    Fascinating... That makes me feel better for some reason. Thanks so much for your insight.

Hello, and Welcome, im new here too. Agreed, good pets, personally i dont like bird pets that much, we have had 3 undulats now, the 2 last ones have died so we only have one left, now this might sound a bit mean to birds haha, but i wouldnt care at all if this one died, they make alot of sounds and are irritating, but if the birds are quiet then its fine :P. We had a rabbit that we had outside and he used to escape out of his little outside area, but it was ok though, cause he always came back, since he had his food and water there, but at 1 point he stopped coming back, we are guessing a fox came and took him. Right now as it is, I have 1 dog, a chihuahua papillon, 1 undulat, and some fish . Welcome to the group friend