Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Programmers

Default For Programmers

For those of us who know how to program multiple programming languages, which is your favorite language?

Mine right now is split between C# and Python, which are both languages I had dismissed in the past (C# as "that java clone" and Python as "sensitive to whitespace, meh"). However both of these traits have turned to advantages because:

C# is a better java clone (compared to this, java sucks even more)
    It took me about a day to get used to the C# language from my Java experience. It'll take a bit longer to learn the .NET framework, but I can put that to use if I ever go on to learn VB properly.

Python leads to clean code almost instinctively.
    Also the ability to do this
    Code:
    substr = str[5:8]
    is really cool.

It depends on my goal.

For data structures, I prefer C++ (with or without STL).

For web-stuff, I tend towards PHP as it lets me cobble things together quickly, and later refine to build platform-agnostic code. I also really like its online function list (php.net) and innumerable plugin support (doxygen, PDO, etc.). Unfortunately, I'm yet to find an IDE that I like that permits context completion and context-sensitive help.

I've used Ada, Scheme, and Lisp before - they're good at what they do, but I typically don't write code in these.

I've not looked into Python, but it can be used to write pretty tight code (like Perl). Insofar as writing "clean" code, you could always write your own overloads (C++, for instance) and shoot yourself in the foot as needed (or in the face, as you may in C++).

Scheme.

I've written in a lot of languages (Haskell, Smalltalk, PL/B, PHP, Python, Rexx, C) But scheme takes the cake. First class functions, anonymous functions, a rock solid macro system (these are not your fathers C Preprocessor Macros), the fact that is methodologically agnostic, first class continuations, and easy syntax are just a few of the reasons why I like it.

The biggest problem with scheme is that unlike Java or Python, there are a bunch of different implementations of scheme, each with their own pros and cons.

My favorite implementation thus-far is Gambit Scheme. It is self-hosting, and compiles to C.

Quote Originally Posted by sissybecky View Post
    Scheme.

I've written in a lot of languages (Haskell, Smalltalk, PL/B, PHP, Python, Rexx, C) But scheme takes the cake. First class functions, anonymous functions, a rock solid macro system (these are not your fathers C Preprocessor Macros), the fact that is methodologically agnostic, first class continuations, and easy syntax are just a few of the reasons why I like it.

The biggest problem with scheme is that unlike Java or Python, there are a bunch of different implementations of scheme, each with their own pros and cons.

My favorite implementation thus-far is Gambit Scheme. It is self-hosting, and compiles to C.
    Actually there are many implentations of Java aswell. After Sun's the biggest is gcj (GNU compiler for Java) which compiles the same as gcc. Although they will all take the same code unlike c++ compilers

Quote Originally Posted by sissybecky View Post
    [T]here are a bunch of different implementations of scheme, each with their own pros and cons.

Aha! It may be time for me to take another look at Scheme.

/me thinks you've owned an Amiga at some point in your life.

Right now I'd have to say probably python. It's just easy to do what you need to do, and when you need more control it's easy to interface with C code.

Well, I'll start off by saying the ones I know (though haven't really mastered).... Python, Basic (on Apple II computers and through Liberty Basic), C++, and HTML (though that's not technically considered a programming language). Python seems to be my favorite right now.

I'd have to say I'm torn between Python and C/C++ at the moment. I do most of my web programming in PHP, but I much prefer Python for that and for smaller apps and scripts, and I've been doing larger projects in C++ and I just love the sheer speed I get out of a C++ app.

c++ and html, im not sure why i like html but every time i use it i go yay, i think it cause it was the first one i lernt