Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So theres this new Motherboard....

Default So theres this new Motherboard....

This New Motherboard Skulltrail has come out with that according to engadget.com has "dual LGA771 sockets that support Intel Xeon 5000, 5100, and 5300 series processors of both the dual and quad-core varieties." Additionally, you'll find a pair of gigabit Ethernet jacks, a plethora of expansion slots, six DDR2 DIMM slots and support for 1600MHz / 1333MHz / 1066MHz / 800MHz front side bus speeds." It is reported to be able to run 12gb of ram. This motherboard can run Crysis twice in the background while still being able to surf the net, play solitaire, Download music and still have speed like you just installed windows. Seriously...a possibility of 8 physical processors if running 2 Quad-cores. That has to be the best motherboards on the market. Check it out here http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/16/a...gets-pictured/

Let me know what you think.

Seems like Intel just trying to cash in on AMD's QuadFX/FASN8 platform, really.
    Call me when Intel actually produces proper symmetrical quad-core CPU's instead of just two dies with two-core's each, per CPU.

Do NOT want.
    LGADDR2? Thats server memory... its hellishly expensive and is capable of less performance. It sacrifices speed for integrity. Also the sockets are 771, and not 775. 775 is the industry standard right now for intel processors and I much rather have it as it is the most supported. If I really needed a system that could out smart an MIT team, yeah I'd get this thing. But honestly, my main concerns are video editing, sound editing, and using the internet. This REALLY does not meet my needs, and more then likely never will. Programs are starting to use less and less power, while systems get more powerful. Soon, you wont need a whole lot. If you find the need to run 2 processes of Crysis, and want to cop a video up on Sony Vegas have right at it. I however...really don't need this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawaa View Post
    Seems like Intel just trying to cash in on AMD's QuadFX/FASN8 platform, really.
    Call me when Intel actually produces proper symmetrical quad-core CPU's instead of just two dies with two-core's each, per CPU.
    I find that really annoying too. Its just Intel trying to reach the line to be first with Quad core. So AMD doesn't steal their profits. AMD still are the best. I'll never give up on them ^_^.

And is it true it takes Server type Ram? I thought this was meant to be a machine for enthusiasts. They risk speed over stability. Seems kind of pointless to me.

Yeah, it uses FB-DIMM's. You think DDR3 is expensive? Scope out some Fully Buffered DDR2 pricing. And yes, it uses 771 instead of 775 because it's the new server socket and this is really, genuinely; a server motherboard with enthusiast features

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Do NOT want.
    LGADDR2? Thats server memory... its hellishly expensive and is capable of less performance. It sacrifices speed for integrity. Also the sockets are 771, and not 775. 775 is the industry standard right now for intel processors and I much rather have it as it is the most supported. If I really needed a system that could out smart an MIT team, yeah I'd get this thing. But honestly, my main concerns are video editing, sound editing, and using the internet. This REALLY does not meet my needs, and more then likely never will. Programs are starting to use less and less power, while systems get more powerful. Soon, you wont need a whole lot. If you find the need to run 2 processes of Crysis, and want to cop a video up on Sony Vegas have right at it. I however...really don't need this.
    Keep in mind that performance is affected more by software in a case like this. I surely would NOT run any windows variant on it. It would need an OS that could take true advantages of the 16 threads.

Then you'd just get a server-build, Jonathan. This one is made for gaming; and supports SLI and Crossfire; so you pretty much *only* want Windows on it if you're using it for that purpose. If you're NOT using it for gaming, just get a standard server board.

Apparently we're back to the parallel computing debate. Even if the RAM was slower because it was ECC, or any other similar factors, methinks the ability to process so much data SIMULTANEOUSLY would outweigh.

Actually, in benching, it's slower for single threaded apps than a single CPU system; because of the extra-overhead and slower speed for the FB-DIMM memory.

But we're not at any debate; all I'm saying is that this is just a consumer level version of a pre-existing line of server-boards. If you're *not* going to run Windows on it, there's *no point* getting THIS version of it, because you'll never utilize the graphics capability. Why? Because SLI/Crossfire drivers outside of Windows are laughable.