Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: US Midterm Elections.

Default US Midterm Elections.

I'm usually a bit of a US politics junkie. After all, it was a great pity that we lost the colonies all those years ago and if we hadn't, then the world wouldn't have the fascinating country we have today. However, these upcoming midterms have barely piqued my interest this year. The results seem a forgone conclusion, a republican victory in the senate, and probably political gridlock thereafter, which isn't much of a change TBH, and nothing much interesting happening until the 2016 presidential elections. Anyway, what do you all think?

I plan on voting tomorrow in my state at an early voting site. Besides the senate there are other races that are just as important.
    Besides my congressman who's already in since the Dems didn't put up somebody to run against him. We have state and local
    races that are just as important.

Every state has ballot measures that matter, even if the elected official is a foregone conclusion.

In addition, Colorado and North Carolina are too close to call and I wouldn't give up hope on Alaska or Arkansas just yet either.

To anyone reading this, go out there and vote! It matters a lot.

At the risk of sounding a bit conspiracy theorist, I feel like there's an effort to keep most people from caring. Take out the movable middle and it becomes much easier to polarize one end of the spectrum and get only your side to the polls. I feel like some of this is why elections are always so close now-we basically are only seeing the far ends of the bell curve, ends which are of roughly equal size. Get a couple more to turn out and you win, as long as those wishy-washy people in the middle that aren't hardcore party members don't muddle things up. Again, that's just my take on it, nothing more.

As for me personally, I'll go out and vote, but honestly, I don't care. I'm sad that I feel this way, but I just don't care anymore. Frankly, I want it to be done so the god damned emails will stop! Every damned day, seven days a week I get 10-15 emails per day saying how terrible horrible it is and that they need more money to fix it. You know what, though? It's been terrible horrible for all the years I've been following politics, and throwing money at it doesn't seem to be helping. Having watched both parties have a fair shot at national-level governance now, I don't see a ton of daylight between them when it comes to solving pressing national issues like immigration or scaling back our military involvement in other countries' business or keeping our civil liberties intact. Frankly, having become friends with several people from China and talking about things with them, I'm no longer convinced that the day-to-day life of an American citizen is much different than that of a Chinese citizen. I mean, we hear about how they're so oppressed and the government doesn't care about the people and abuses its power and bla bla blah, but honestly, the same thing happens here. We just have the sham of voting to make us believe it's better. The American government wants to do something, it just does it. The Chinese government wants to do something, it just does it. Aside from having Facebook here, I'm not convinced anymore.

And so, I don't care. I'll do it because I can and I should and there's still a part of me that wants it to matter, but I'm no longer convinced it does. I realize that's antithetical to what I said in my opening paragraph, but it's how I feel. If there were a viable choice that I could believe in, perhaps I'd feel differently, but our elections are a choice between a turd sandwich and a douche, and I want neither of those things.

I heard a theory that if the Republicans manage to get control of the Senate, they will have to actually govern and pass laws rather than simply obstruct the President. Some of the most lasting and effective reforms in the past 30 years have been passed by divided government (Reagan tax reform, Clinton welfare reform, NAFTA, etc).

I'm always an optimist because there's really no use in being a pessimist. Neither frame of mind really affects the outcome of the situation, but the advantage is that I'm not going to give myself hypertension by being an optimist.

If only we could get rid of our resident communist tool Dick Durbin this time around. Fat chance. The Chicago Machine will never let lt happen.

There IS a very real chance we can get rid of our corrupt bumbling fool of a governor. Your Name Here would do a better job. Not sure it matters, though. State finances are too far gone, and too much of the tax base has already fled the Democratic People's Republic of Illinois.

General thoughts on the midterm: Gridlock is the best possible outcome. Consider that every law passed is either another hand in your pocket or another freedom stripped away.

Looking locally (Michigan), I have one hard choice to make, specifically for governor. Rick Snyder has been a mixed bag IMO, but that means there is some good in that bag. He's cognizant of the fact that Michigan needs to sort out its cities and urban problems, and he's made moves to help. I have mixed feelings about the emergency manager law, and for the same reasons. Part of me screams inside that the state can appoint a one-person-band to run an entire city with powers the elected leadership could only dream of having, but on the same coin is the fact that shit's getting done and cities exist at the pleasure of the state (confirmed in Hunter v. Pittsburgh). I don't like the way he fucked the unions and forced right-to-work through, but I like that he committed to the second international bridge.

Honestly, this is possibly the first election I could participate in where I felt like both candidates for an office are worth serious consideration. Is this what elections are meant to be like or were once upon a time? Is this reason for me to hold out some hope that the system might actually work?

This elections are simultaneously some of the closest statistically we've had in a while, at least with respect to a change in power in the senate, while being some of the least consequential.

There is little reason to expect the next two years to be productive:

(A) If the Democrats hold on, they'll have a bare majority in the senate and a minority in the house. We get more of the past 4 years.

(B) Meanwhile the Republicans are unlikely to eek out more than a seat or two past a bare majority, which is the scenario that appears to be slightly more likely than not. This sets up two years of Republican congresses paired with a Democrat presidency that they've given themselves no obvious space to agree with on anything, and a 2016 map so favorable to Democrats that it's almost a lock that the senate flips back. Republicans can't get anything big done without the president and Democrats are moreover incentivized against breaking with their party given the 2016 map.

Every election has consequences but some have more consequences than others. 2014 doesn't have the possibility of changing the status quo as much as most elections have.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    Every state has ballot measures that matter, even if the elected official is a foregone conclusion.

In addition, Colorado and North Carolina are too close to call and I wouldn't give up hope on Alaska or Arkansas just yet either.

To anyone reading this, go out there and vote! It matters a lot.
    I am now legal to vote and I am in North Carolina. I just don't know who to vote because I don't know If I am a republican or a democrat. I never really cared for the sort of stuff. I know both of the difference, I never really found myself there.

Quote Originally Posted by ampelhamza View Post
    I heard a theory that if the Republicans manage to get control of the Senate, they will have to actually govern and pass laws rather than simply obstruct the President. Some of the most lasting and effective reforms in the past 30 years have been passed by divided government (Reagan tax reform, Clinton welfare reform, NAFTA, etc).
    I have read a similar appraisal in The Washington Post, so I think your theory is valid. In Virginia we have a good candidate in Mark Warner. He's been less partisan than most, and has accomplished a number of good things through legislation. My plushie, Moose runs every year, but he always seems to narrowly lose. Maybe this year.