Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apps for Babies!

Talking Apps for Babies!

Seeing as using technology isn't a stereotypically babyish thing to do, I only recently looked into what apps there might be aimed at babies/toddlers, and there's actually plenty of really good ones (as well as some very dull ones!).

Also, I like the fact that you can plug your headphones in, and be on your iPad/iPhone/etc. doing Little things, and nobody around you will necessarily be aware of it. So, who else likes babyish apps? Here are a few I find particularly fun:

In the Night Garden - Really fun, though I'm biased because it's my #1 favourite little show.

Peekaboo Barn - Lots of fun naming animals and counting. Plus there's a free version of it.

Wheels on the Bus - fun to sing along to, and you can record your own voice on it. I like doing this with Mommy so she can help me 'learn' the words and sing it with her.

I own an ipad, but that is mostly my instant googler, and not much else, my main handheld is my palm 3, but I can't find any baby apps for it (it's from 1998, go figure). My imac g3 and g4 are both really good machines for their age, but I can't figure out how to install little apps on them (or any apps, for that matter!).

Just a few days ago I downloaded some. My favorite app is the penguins on Tote Baby Rattle. It plays music box sounds in the snow not a rattle. I also have 55 Free Baby Samples, Funny Babies Pictures and Baby Time. Previously I had downloaded Adult Diapering, Baby Wrap and iBaby and Diapering. I also have a page of pregnancy Apps. All these are in my Android. I was looking for Babies R Us App when I found the others a few days ago. I decided to uninstall that already do to low functionality.

I have a kaleidoscope app, a nature sounds app, had a rattle one. My iPad is a giant crib soother. I like real rainmaker rattles better though.

I think apps made for actual babies are a terrible idea. Parenting doesn't mean sticking your kids in front of a screen. Either way, not my cup of tea.

Yes, there's a lot being said as of late about letting little ones spend time alone on tablets. One thing babies and toddlers need is interaction with a mother and father. They also need face reactions, etc.

My wife has a number of game apps for toddlers on her Ipad, something she's used with the grandchildren. She plays with them, so there is that interaction. She also has played with me with them when I'm having "little time". The two things I like the best are narrated stores. One of them is "Goodnight Moon". There's so much out there that's good.

If you are using them with a child, be with them and play with them rather than letting them do it by themselves. They can do both, obviously, and our grandchildren do. But their parents also spend a lot of one on one time with them as well.

I remember my sister had the 1999 version of Jumpstart Preschool growing up, as well as kindergarten and first grade. I had Jumpstart 5th grade even though I was in 2nd grade (too easy for me whoops) but for some reason I always wanted to try out Jumpstart Toddlers.

I think they're still releasing versions of those games nowadays, right?

Quote Originally Posted by kitterdafoxy View Post
    I own an ipad, but that is mostly my instant googler, and not much else, my main handheld is my palm 3, but I can't find any baby apps for it (it's from 1998, go figure). My imac g3 and g4 are both really good machines for their age, but I can't figure out how to install little apps on them (or any apps, for that matter!).
    Little off topic but wow, a Palm III, I think I got one sitting in a box with his full kit, the box as never been opened, it was a gift that my father win at his job and he never ever needed it since he was never a tech guy, preferred to use old pen and paper tech. But I still use a ratty old HP 200LX to keep my private stuff in, like different usernames and passwords, its in a password protected system that as no Internet access at all, and no one would even think someone would store anything in theses old things, so pretty safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Meowstic View Post
    I think apps made for actual babies are a terrible idea. Parenting doesn't mean sticking your kids in front of a screen. Either way, not my cup of tea.
    I think moderation is the key word here. Putting your little ones in front of a TV or iPad screen for hours is awful parenting. Sitting with them for a little while whilst they play an interactive game which teaches them cause-and-effect (e.g. - press the screen here for a noise) isn't a bad idea at all, and apps are able to be educational in a way which certain toys (however cute and fun) just aren't.

Anyway, I just got the Lullabies! app. Not only does it have tons of relaxing lullabies for babies, it's got an array of extra sounds you can add in at will to give it a unique feel. It's like a combination of a cot mobile and GarageBand.