Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: carbon foot print

Unhappy carbon foot print

What do you think of Carbon and the way we live.
    In today world we mine ore in one country and ship it thousand and thousand of kilometres to another country with the lowest wage smelts it. Then it shipped to other country's to be made into something and it is ship to you.
    just seeing what people think about it.

Frankly I see carbon as a necessary building block of life. I will now walk away before I'm dumped into a sea of jokes that are completely over my head as I'm not a chemist.

I think we should be, where possible, decreasing our carbon footprint. However, that's not the only option available to us. I would wholeheartedly support the use of biotechnology/genetic engineering to tweak some existing plant species so that they would be better at cycling CO2 out of the atmosphere. If they managed to do that with something like kudzu, it could do substantial good.

Hello

Yes we should be aware of the "legacies" that we leave behind us. Yes we need to be aware of the effect that we have on our environment. Yes we can do much better.

However, do we really know what the true cause of climate change and "global warming" are?

IMO the answer is NO!!!!

I have a science background and as I see it there is way to much "disinformation" based knee jerk reactions that are "touted" as fact.

My biggest pet peeve is "deforestation is destroying the carbon sink!"
    First off the main carbon sink on this planet is the water/oceans.
    Second we are in a very miniscule moment in time and there is way to little knowledge of the "K" factor for the summation of the cause/effect equation.

I will stop here.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    However, do we really know what the true cause of climate change and "global warming" are?

IMO the answer is NO!!!!
    But unless I'm mistaken, this isn't a branch of science in which you're recognized as an authoritative opinion.

Say you don't feel well and visit 100 doctors. Following extensive testing and consultation with each other, 97 tell you that you have an advanced medical condition, which they've dependably identified, and without immediate treatment, you will certainly die or become greatly disabled for the rest of your life. The other three tell you the rest are using faulty data so they can bill your insurance for expensive tests you don't need. Which do you believe? This is fully analogous to what's happening with climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    But unless I'm mistaken, this isn't a branch of science in which you're recognized as an authoritative opinion.

Say you don't feel well and visit 100 doctors. Following extensive testing and consultation with each other, 97 tell you that you have an advanced medical condition, which they've dependably identified, and without immediate treatment, you will certainly die or become greatly disabled for the rest of your life. The other three tell you the rest are using faulty data so they can bill your insurance for expensive tests you don't need. Which do you believe? This is fully analogous to what's happening with climate change.
    If I am reading this correctly, I would agree to disagree. I feel that the human body and illness is not analogues to the planet.

The species of the planet have caused changes in the climate but the carbon dioxide levels have fluctuated to levels even higher then it is now.

The plants have actually caused more "damage" to the environment, but they have also had an effect that governs this planet to this day.
    Because of the Blue Green algae the Oxygen level changed so dramatically that it caused an entire class of cellular structure to evolve. (For those who might not know what I am talking about prokaryotes/bacteria and the eukaryotes).
    Plants went so far to alter the atmosphere that they created so much oxygen that the levels reached 40%. Because of that uncontrolled production the biomass accumulated so high it was not able to be disposed of and it decayed slowly and formed this stuff that WE are utilizing now (the plant mass that formed the Mississippian and Pennsylvanian coal deposits).
    It was because of that that the Arthropods evolved into a branch that did not have to stay in water and began another ecological adaptation that later branched into a very diverse land animal group.

From there the carbon cycle has been going on above water and the funny thing is that the Carbon dioxide levels have still fluctuated. The levels have been higher and they have also been lower. There is still an uncertainty that has been posed and we still are not 100% sure what the rotational time of the galaxy is and if indeed there is cool and hot spots that might effect the environmental climate.

So to get back to the point. No I am not a "recognized" as an authoritative opinion, but I am still entitled to my opinion and have now give some evidence as to why I have my opinion.

The other off the wall comment that I will add is when it comes to some "authoritative" opinions I also see the big question to challenge the "publications" and that is follow the money! I have also first hand knowledge of some of the counter arguments and it did come down to who was providing the research money and where the bias comes into play.

There again is not being the pragmatic opinion part of the test for all theories?

I think the atmosphere will clear up nicely after we're extinct, which may be sooner than we think. As a side note, many forms of algae are caused by the phosphates farmers are dumping into the water table, finding its way to the sea. How can anyone believe that it's healthy to dump the amount of carbon we as humans, are putting into the atmosphere? Certainly, things are going to change. Hell.....already I've developed gills!

One comedian said: The sun causes global warming. When you burn your toast, you don't blame the bread do you?

Sorry. It made me laugh when I heard it.
    Last edited by Scaramouche; 15-Oct-2014 at 12:43. Reason: Giving credit where it's due!

Despite all of the scare tactics, coattail tactics, or global-sense-of-community tactics, there is no overwhelming evidence either way that elevated levels of carbon are destroying our planet. Much of the research data has no control group other than recorded data of climate change that has proved to be cyclical and ebb in nature. It is no mystery that this planet has undergone mild to moderate to even severe climate changes. Many of these changes, based upon what we currently know, happened before mankind even resided here.

Perspective on the issue is paramount.

My personal belief is that the issue of global warming has become an easy platform to for those seeking political election to run on. This issue is much easier to sound like a humanitarian without having to answer the real tough questions regarding social issues, reform, social economics, or other pending issues regarding the current welfare of the voting citizen.

Actually, please forgive me for the slow intro: It's political garbage. It can be warranted that those who preach such alarming precaution and demanding change to reduce carbon and energy consumption are hypocritical in preaching as such politicians are consuming and using far more energy than the average person. Side-pocket deals involving lobbyists and special interest groups with/or seeking government funding can act as a catalyst to support any big ticket. Public and private grants support them. Each scratching each others' backs seeking inside interests (quid pro quo). Perhaps a distraction to lead the masses. It is political rape and diversion. Smoke and mirrors. It reaches all hearts.

Now, before all of the experts on climate change "blow" up; I am not saying that research is not important. It simply offers a poor platform to run for office on and exploit.

Personally I am a proponent of saving what we can in the way of waste and protecting what we have control over. Adversely I believe that an elected servant is in no position to tell me how, how much, and when. Regulation should be regarded carefully: often times they act against personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by ilostthesheriff View Post
    Despite all of the scare tactics, coattail tactics, or global-sense-of-community tactics, there is no overwhelming evidence either way that elevated levels of carbon are destroying our planet.
    If that where to be the case, when talking about enviroment, we have very serious business at hand not related to carbon.

So your argument doesn't hold any value when it;s about our enviroment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    Carbon dioxide levels have still fluctuated. The levels have been higher and they have also been lower.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spm_2013_atmospheric_co2_incl_2012.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	22121

Don't know where that fluctuating has been, but this is the fastest rise ever recorded.

It isn't really fluctuating, I know that those processes (the ocean absorbing and releasing carbon) take long cycles of centuries, and depend on several factors (temperature/streams etc.) but let's not pretend as if what we are doing is anything natural.

As to the effects of it, I will not go in to that subject, I don't really care either, we are facing huge problems without this carbon, which are a lot worse and a higher threat directly to our lifes and those of our offspring, as well as nature, than this carbon.

Humanity has survived climate changes before, and it will do so again. Humanity will not on a large scale survive contiminated soil, water and thus hunger and diseases in the near future, as well as complete ecological systems collapsing.

Nature will, we won't. And perhaps that's for the better, when judging from the earths' perspective.