Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help with a database

Default I need help with a database

I am setting up a webserver on my adsl line, for access to my family only.

It's going to be a place for picture sharing, family news, etc.

I would like to place a small forum on this server, but I am new to databases and need a bit of a tutorial.

I need advice to find a free database( if that exists ) and how to install, run, etc.

Feel free to point out anything else I have missed.

If you have any helpfull knowledge please share.

Thanks, Kevin

Well, If you really want to do it right, I'd suggest a LAMP server. That's a version of Linux, with the Apache web server, MySQL database, and PHP. There's a number of free guides out there on how to set one up, and I'd be more than willing to help walk you through it.

MySQL is okay, though personally I like PostgreSQL. And if it's going to be small, there's always SQLite also.

Quote Originally Posted by kevindhca View Post
    I am setting up a webserver on my adsl line, for access to my family only.

It's going to be a place for picture sharing, family news, etc.

I would like to place a small forum on this server, but I am new to databases and need a bit of a tutorial.

I need advice to find a free database( if that exists ) and how to install, run, etc.

Feel free to point out anything else I have missed.

If you have any helpfull knowledge please share.

Thanks, Kevin
    While setting it up yourself is good for the learning experience (and if you do I would reccomend MySQL) it is quite complicated and you don't seem to technically minded so if you don't want to go to the effort, you can always get your forum hosted by someone (e.g. freeforums.org or invisionfree.com) which is the quick and easy option.

Somewhat less easy but has more options to register and account with a web host and run your website from there. This is the most common option as it allows you more control than hosting on a free service but without the hassle of a home server.

If you go the home server route, you need to be quite technically minded to set one up successfully that is accessible from the web.

Also while Jon reccomended LAMP, if your unsure about other OSes or intend using your normal computer, you can always try a Windows bundle (called a WAMP server) such as XAMPP or Apache2triad. XAMPP will have more tutorials and is easier to set up but apache2triad has more options.

Also, not sure this needs mentioning, but if your running a home server, you need to leave it on the whole time so people can acces it.

Also you will need a static IP address from your ISP or use a service like dyndns.org if you have a dynamic IP. If you don't understand what this means, you should probably go with one of the first two options.

And finally, on some ISPs (such as mine) it is just not possible to run your own servers for reasons to do with network infrastructure or firewall settings etc. (Not just web servers, but P2P games such as Age of Empires 2 aswell)

Basic summary:
    (1) Free forum hosting:
    Pros: Free, Can set up in minutes
    Cons: Little control, low space limits

(2) Buying a hosting account
    Pros: Usually plenty of space, can choose your own forum software
    Cons: Costs about 50+ for a good host (you can get them cheaper, or even free but quality of service suffers)

(3) Hosting it yourself
    Pros: Total Control, May not need extra purchases
    Cons: Very difficult to set up, may not work with your ISP, must be technically minded.

If you want to host it yourself, perhaps you ought to run it in a virtual machine. This way, if it gets compromised the attack is likely kept within it, and also you don't have to install all the software on your primary OS. If you decide to ditch the server later, it's easy.

Also, static IP is probably a bit overkill for a server that you plan on using with just family and friends. I once asked Verizon about this and they said it would cost an extra $70-80/mo. No thanks. If you keep your DSL connected most of the time, your IP will rarely change. I use No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP which is easy and free, and then you don't even have to memorize your own IP in the first place.

I find it annoying that they charge silly money for a static IP. I guess some one is foolish and desperate enough to pay for it.

But I use no-ip personally. On a windows machine you can install a client that will check your IP every 5 minutes and update the records once it changes. If you don't want a site124.otherdomain.org sub domain. You can register a domain with some registra preferable offering DNS servers in the package and CNAME it to you subdomain. So your .com points transparantly to your no-ip subdomain. It's what I got setup.
    MachineX.MyDomain.com

But A VM is a good idea, You won't need anything powerful to run it. I have a Pentium 2 pulling 2 Debian Servers. And the Windows host itself to run a few legacy apps. It's my "service" Machine.

Xxamp is popular, but I haven't played with it long enough to get the MySQL server to run. But I wasn't interested in that as PHP + Apache is what I needed. Everything I did was stored with cookies for random play abouts.

SQL servers? I'll stick with MySQL most popular and most likely to get better support. Especially for all the apps you can install. The apps themselves are easy to install, you just got to set up a MySQL before hand so it can set up all the default tables and values etc.. Usually running the install.php gives the game away . But to Read the documentation on installing before hand though!

adultdiaperlover

Wamp server is really easy to install. I have it running on a secondary computer of mine.

It's running on an emachines with xp.

http://206.248.6.89/pics/server/1.JPG

you can see the rest of the pics of the server on my

Forum

Which is also hosted on my server.

smf forum installed really easily with wamp.

I find it annoying that they charge silly money for a static IP. I guess some one is foolish and desperate enough to pay for it.
    Indeed. Static IP is a luxury for DSL subscribers, but for we cable ISP users, it comes standard -- of which my ISP says it has something to do with the VoIP on my line *shrugs*. I've had the same IP for 6 years running now (gift and a curse).

Anyway, I'm a server junkie. IMO, any machine can be a server, any computer under the age of 15 is useful. Heck, I take the ones poeple throw out in eCycle bins! I have a Compaq Pentium II @ 400MHz running my DHCP, DNS, and HTTP/www servers, and a dual CPU 450MHz Pentium II box that will be running my teamspeak servers shortly. Those are the old machines, my new ones are modern machines that host my Call of Duty servers.

If you ask me, find an old machine laying around, but a light linux CLI distro on it, and work your way through that. It looks as though you have the willpower and ability to learn your way around. Have yourself an adventure, and take pride in it! Once you think you know your way around a bit, give the machine a purpose. Work your way up.

And my $.02 on operating systems -- Windows is not a (non-gaming) server's operating system. Personally, now-a-days I don't believe in a GUI for servers, but that's me. Even if you do have a GUI, Linux is what a server should run. But hey, you're starting. Just keep learning, have fun.

Good Luck.

Excellent responses, Thanks all you guys.

Perhaps I should have been more specific, but I went general, because you never know what I might have missed.
    I have done a little web searching, but there is alot of info out there and I would like to wittle that down a bit, and I was thinking someone out there must have done this before.

I am technically competent. I have built my last two computers, and my home network.

I have a DI-604 router connected to a Cisco 2950-24 switch.
    This keeps me connected to to my IP all the time, so my IP rarely changes, even though it's dynamic.

I have three computers on my network, plus my son's playstation, his notebook, and when my two daughters are home, two more notebooks.
    One is an older IBM Aptiva, I gave it 384Mb RAM and three hard drives, connected it to my home stereos and turned it into my music server.
    Two is my new machine, I posted the specs earlier in another thread.

Three is the server machine, AMD 1800+, 512Mb RAM, two 40Gig HDD
    I have never used a Linux OS, so I need advice on which version to run, with links to a site that I can get it from.

The site will be small and have low traffic, so a small database will be sufficient.
    A link to a small free database distribution would help alot.

Or maybe a package of everything I need, do you know of one that would fit my needs?

I am thinking I can run a site with no DNS, just with IP. It will be just my family and I can give them the IP to get there, so are there any reasons why this would not be possible?

Thanks Jon, I might have to take you up on that offer.

mm3, you're right on, I do have the willpower, ability and patience to set this up.
    I just am very busy, and need to cut out some of the time it would take to sort out all the options.

Hopefully, I covered everything, advise away.

Thanks again, Kevin

I'd recommend Ubuntu server (Ubuntu Server Edition | Ubuntu). It's easy to get up and running and seems pretty solid from my experience.

As for family, you could give them your IP and that's fine, but a dynamic DNS service might be easier. Like I use NO-IP so to get to my box I use myname.no-ip.org and it resolves to my IP. There's a client you can install that will automagically keep your IP u to date, so that when it does change nobody has to care.