Thread: Speaking of gay marriage...

30/50 states so far. It's really neat. I think NC has recently struck down a ban, too, but I'm not entirely sure. It's actually really shocking, I had never thought the bible belt would start this within the next 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    30/50 states so far. It's really neat. I think NC has recently struck down a ban, too, but I'm not entirely sure. It's actually really shocking, I had never thought the bible belt would start this within the next 5-10 years.
    It helps when the supreme court declares it unconstitutional to deny gay couples their marriage licenses. Greenville, SC has denied to give gay couples their licenses. I fully expect lawsuits in the near future, which they will win.

Interestingly enough, I found that a lot of conservatives were against the idea not because they hated everything about gay people, but because they were worried that the government was going to "force" their Churches to perform marriages that were against their belief system.

My parents are very conservative and told me that they feel gay marriage isn't "right" because it's against their beliefs. But when I brought up the kinds of abuse that gay people face because of their sexuality (being fired, physical abuse etc.) their response was immediately, "Well that's REALLY not right. You don't treat people like that."

Quote Originally Posted by FeekaDimension View Post
    ..... they feel gay marriage isn't "right" because it's against their beliefs.
    That's understandable.

What I don't understand is the idea that other people should be subjugated to their beliefs, even if they aren't their beliefs.

The problem in my opinion is that "marriage" is improperly both a component of various religious systems and a component of the legal system.

If churches want to own the word, then it should be completely replaced in the legal system with something else (for everyone). If churches want the word to remain a component of the legal system, then they have to accept government involvement.

I'm not gay and I'm not religious, so I don't really care either way. I lean more towards marriage as a legal definition going away.