Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sterilizing and cleaning a baby bottle ?

Question Sterilizing and cleaning a baby bottle ?

So, I've just bought a bottle for myself but before using it for the first time, I want to know how to properly sterilize it and how to clean it afterwards

Before I used my pacifier, I placed it in boiling water for a couple of minutes, I guess it should work for baby bottles, but I am not sure. Any alternative methods ? I still live with my parents so I need to clean it as fast as possible.
    And how should I clean it after using it ? I won't use milk all the time, mostly tea or juice , but, do I need to sterilize it after each use ? Or washing it with dish soap and water is enough ?

Lastly but not least, how to store it ? I still live with my parents, so I won't leave this stuff in the dish rack , so I need to hide it, probably for long periods of time so Is it safe to store it (Clean and dry obviously) for long periods of time, or does the plastic and teat go bad ?

I know, a lot of questions, but I want to be sure about everything before using it, I would appreciate your help, thank you

Unless I leave mine out long enough for the formula/juice to dry, i usually just rinse it out.
    I do wash the ones that have had formula/milk a bit more often though.

and i just use dish soap and water.

Washing this thoroughly and storing dry should be plenty good enough. Sterilisation is really just for little babies whose immune systems are not as strong as yours. If you bottle came with a cap make sure that covers the nipple, that will help. And well I guess you'll store it somewhere cool, dry and away from the light, that way it will last a long time. Good luck and have fun.

I can tell you about sterilizing because I've done this for other things: Before you first use your bottle supplies, sterilize them by dousing them in a pot of boiling water for around 5 minutes. Make sure before you put them in that your pot is bubbly on the bottom. Leave them out for the air to evaporate the water off meaning all the mini chemicals in the hot water do it's job. Then afterwards you can clean it by hand with soap and water or throw it in a dish washer. (You could do this when you are home alone)

Cleaning your bottle: People use bottle brushes to get the scum out of the bottle on the inside and also absorb the smell of the bottle somewhat but a very interesting way is dripping soap inside your bottle, adding water, and letting it sit for maybe 15 minutes or more if you feel is necessary. You can also add baking soda inside to eliminate odors as an alternative if brushes or soap does not do the trick. Mostly the baking soda will work because it has gotten rid of smells many of times in the past to the present. Bottle brushes and baking soda are quick solutions. It is recommended you clean your bottle after each use so the smells don't stick more and more to the bottle making clean-up harder.

Hiding solutions: There are so many hiding spots to keep a bottle hidden and most of these are not expected. Sometimes it's best to keep your bottle wrapped in paper towel and shoved inside a lock box where only you have access. Another alternative is a basement or the attic (make sure it's covered like inside a zip-lock bag) Don't hide them in bathrooms, kitchen, underneath beds or dressers (If you only go inside your dresser then it's a good possibility but tiny bit risky) because it'll either roll out, or give a dead giveaway.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyTyrant View Post
    Unless I leave mine out long enough for the formula/juice to dry, i usually just rinse it out.
    I do wash the ones that have had formula/milk a bit more often though.

and i just use dish soap and water.
    Great, I guess I'll wash them out without worrying too much, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    Washing this thoroughly and storing dry should be plenty good enough. Sterilisation is really just for little babies whose immune systems are not as strong as yours. If you bottle came with a cap make sure that covers the nipple, that will help. And well I guess you'll store it somewhere cool, dry and away from the light, that way it will last a long time. Good luck and have fun.
    Awesome, thank you Ozbub Yeah, It came with a cap, I will make sure not to loose it

If only you were at peace with a bottle and no aggravation
    Last edited by Snivy; 01-Oct-2014 at 00:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    Thank you Snivy great advices and what If I don't have a bottle brush ?

Quote Originally Posted by Littledaimon View Post
    Thank you Snivy great advices and what If I don't have a bottle brush ?
    I didn't care about the sad face. I just put that there because it needed more emoticons. That was meant that you can't be at peace with a bottle?

Alternatives for bottle brushed: Q-tips and Cotton balls take up more time but they still contain the scrub and absorb material it needs.

Or just as suggested, throw soap and water in it. Let it soak which will take longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Littledaimon View Post
    So, I've just bought a bottle for myself but before using it for the first time, I want to know how to properly sterilize it and how to clean it afterwards

Before I used my pacifier, I placed it in boiling water for a couple of minutes, I guess it should work for baby bottles, but I am not sure. Any alternative methods ? I still live with my parents so I need to clean it as fast as possible.
    And how should I clean it after using it ? I won't use milk all the time, mostly tea or juice , but, do I need to sterilize it after each use ? Or washing it with dish soap and water is enough ?

Lastly but not least, how to store it ? I still live with my parents, so I won't leave this stuff in the dish rack , so I need to hide it, probably for long periods of time so Is it safe to store it (Clean and dry obviously) for long periods of time, or does the plastic and teat go bad ?

I know, a lot of questions, but I want to be sure about everything before using it, I would appreciate your help, thank you
    Rinse out the remainder of your beverage as soon as you're done drinking from your bottle. You can get away with that for a few days, but you should use soap when rinsing it at least once in a while. I usually soak mine in hot soapy water for about fifteen minutes whenever I'm home alone, simply because I have the chance. Since you've said you don't have a bottle brush, you can soak a dish rag in warm water and wring it out, then put it in your bottle and twist it around inside. Also, make sure to pop the nipple off of the ring so you can wash the whole nipple. And if you have extra opportunity, leave your bottle in a dish drainer to air dry, since rag-drying can still spread moisture around your bottle even if you're extra thorough.

For hiding, keep it in a place away from light and with air, and leave the nipple off. Keeping it in a ziploc or tupperware prevents moisture from escaping, and causes bacteria to grow. And don't put it in a dusty corner of a nightstand or something like that; dusty bottles suck.

And now for complete sterilization for those irritating smells that stick onto the bottle that you can't get rid of (like sour milk). Prepare a pot and fill it up with water, then mix it with 1/4th of a cup of baking soda. Place the pot over a stove with your bottle submerged in the water and heat it to a boiling point. I boil mine slowly so that it stays in there for at least five minutes and I sometimes go a little extra just to be sure. After that, you take out the bottle and put a tablespoon of baking soda in it, then fill it with cold water and let it sit for fifteen minutes. And that gives you a perfectly sterilized bottle, and a pot with 212 F water that you should very carefully dispose of.

Quote Originally Posted by ClandestineWing View Post
    Rinse out the remainder of your beverage as soon as you're done drinking from your bottle. You can get away with that for a few days, but you should use soap when rinsing it at least once in a while. I usually soak mine in hot soapy water for about fifteen minutes whenever I'm home alone, simply because I have the chance. Since you've said you don't have a bottle brush, you can soak a dish rag in warm water and wring it out, then put it in your bottle and twist it around inside. Also, make sure to pop the nipple off of the ring so you can wash the whole nipple. And if you have extra opportunity, leave your bottle in a dish drainer to air dry, since rag-drying can still spread moisture around your bottle even if you're extra thorough.

For hiding, keep it in a place away from light and with air, and leave the nipple off. Keeping it in a ziploc or tupperware prevents moisture from escaping, and causes bacteria to grow. And don't put it in a dusty corner of a nightstand or something like that; dusty bottles suck.

And now for complete sterilization for those irritating smells that stick onto the bottle that you can't get rid of (like sour milk). Prepare a pot and fill it up with water, then mix it with 1/4th of a cup of baking soda. Place the pot over a stove with your bottle submerged in the water and heat it to a boiling point. I boil mine slowly so that it stays in there for at least five minutes and I sometimes go a little extra just to be sure. After that, you take out the bottle and put a tablespoon of baking soda in it, then fill it with cold water and let it sit for fifteen minutes. And that gives you a perfectly sterilized bottle, and a pot with 212 F water that you should very carefully dispose of.
    Thank you I'll take your advices

Insted of opening a new thread, I have a new question. The nipple hole seems a little bit small. I could buy another set of bottle nipples but I can't right now, so do I need to cut it or make it bigger ? If so, how ?