Thread: Reporting for Mandatory Self-Introduction

Default Reporting for Mandatory Self-Introduction

My name's Haemon, mid-30s and living in California. I've been a DL with a slight AB side since maybe grade school. I've been lurking here, DD, WetSet, and a number of other places without participating much in conversation. I'm mostly here to check the occasional story but am open to making new friends.

I'm loathe to identify myself further because my wife may get into politics someday but I'm a homebrewer, a Freemason and a triathlete in training. So! Hello to everyone and please carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Haemon View Post
    My name's Haemon, mid-30s and living in California. I've been a DL with a slight AB side since maybe grade school. I've been lurking here, DD, WetSet, and a number of other places without participating much in conversation. I'm mostly here to check the occasional story but am open to making new friends.

I'm loathe to identify myself further because my wife may get into politics someday but I'm a homebrewer, a Freemason and a triathlete in training. So! Hello to everyone and please carry on.
    I believe there is at least one other Freemason here. I know there are some homebrewers (including me to a small degree). What sorts of stuff do you brew?

Welcome!

Honestly I haven't brewed in like two years. I had a 25cu/ft chest freezer for temp control and one day it just stopped getting cold. I got a new 7cu/ft just last week and I think the first thing I'll do on it is a Dunkel.

What about you, you do all-grain? Also, when you said there is at least one other Mason on here, did you mean you're one as well or just one person has self-identified?

I'm not a Freemason, but I recall someone identifying as one on here a bit ago. I haven't brewed anything in a year or two. I haven't tried an all-grain brew yet, although now that I'm working again I probably will next time I give it a go. The mash extract at least didn't feel like completely cheating, though, since I still had to do the grains and hops for the flavors. In any event, it's been too long since I've done it. The last batch I did was a black IPA, and despite the yeast being slow as could be, it turned out pretty well.

That's cool. Black IPA is a tough style to do right so I'm glad it came out well!

Thanks! I still need to work on clarity, as well. I've seen people talk about using gelatins to pull out materials, but at this point I figure I'll get a bit better at the "getting the beer to taste right" work before I get fancy. I was pleasantly surprised the black IPA turned out as well as it did.

I'm not really sure how much clarity matters in something that is SRM30+ but you might try whirlfloc. If you keg, that's even better: just cold crash it.