Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth diaper sizing

Default Cloth diaper sizing

What, another topic on diaper size? Yeah, sorry, but this one's more of a warning to cloth noobs like me.

I've always wanted a real cloth diaper that pins on. I'm firmly in the DL camp with no AB tendencies, but the idea of a pin-on cloth diaper has become more and more appealing to me. So I went to adultclothdiaper.com and looked at their nighttime prefolds. The odd thing is that they said that I should have a large. In fact, according to their size chart, that would be a little bigger than I needed. I have a 44" waist and they say that should fit up to a 52". I normally wear a XXL or something, so I called them up and asked if that could possibly be right. The lady assured me that would work fine.

Well, because I'm new at this, I guess I should have asked what kind of fold they were using when they came up with those sizes. I imagined a tri-fold with the back open, front still folded, and pined to the front. Wrong. The large lets me pin on the sides, but that's not at all what I wanted. Yes, I should have looked at the measurements and done the math. Yes, I should have asked what size I'd need if I wanted to do a particular fold, but didn't. And now I have a diaper that was expensive and isn't what I wanted. Bummer.

I guess my suggestion to any flat and pre-fold diaper seller is to list waist sizes by fold type. This size will fit this waist size if you do this kind of fold. If you want to do this kind of fold, you'll need this size.

That would be helpful.

-RMS

I wear size large prefolds from Changing Times Diaper Co and I like the way they fit on me. I use the trifold and I'm able to pin
    mine to the front. I also use contour diapers from CTDC in size large and they fit the same way. Plus I also use Boingo fasteners
    instead of pins. I also have a 40 inch waist.

I've never heard of Boingo fasteners, Oleman. Don't they damage the cloth? Those teeth look pretty nasty.

I hope to continue losing weight, and perhaps get down to a 40" waist, but for the time being, I'm 4 inches fatter than that.

-RMS

Quote Originally Posted by RMS401 View Post
    I've never heard of Boingo fasteners, Oleman. Don't they damage the cloth? Those teeth look pretty nasty.

I hope to continue losing weight, and perhaps get down to a 40" waist, but for the time being, I'm 4 inches fatter than that.

-RMS
    I've been using Boingos since April and haven't really noticed any damage on my twill prefolds. I do move a lot during the night
    from side to side so I do recommend backing them up with pins. I use Dritz pins which are actual baby diaper pins.
    I have had a Boingo come loose during the night. I probably didn't get stretched enough.

I am new to the cloth diapering tribe myself. I looked and looked online for which to choose. I eventually settled on a few cotton prefolds from Changing Times, same as Ole.

When they came in, I tried them on and was blown away by the softness. I mean, I knew what to expect somewhat from dealing with baby sized ones. As I proceeded to do my Angel wing fold and it looked like I would be good go, but I ran into the same problem as you. I was able to pin the diaper, using my Boingo, but I had envisioned the sides going further towards the front. :/

Dont get me wrong, the diapers fit and are great, but they just don't fit like how I was hoping. I have already prepped my prefolds 4-5x and washed them a few times since after wearing them, and they still fit. They have softened up a little bit, but not yet like I have been told they will.

My biggest problem? Not investing in a pair of high backed plastic pants. So my first night the top of the diaper was connected to my bed through my shirt. Oh well. Live and learn. :P

LLMedico says take your waist size and add 12 then divide by two to get the width. Sounds reasonable to me.

Watch the size and shrinkage on cloth. I got a prefold from Changing Times Diaper Co. and found that it shrank 7% in width and 15% in length. I should have bought the next size larger.
    My flat diapers from AdultClothDiaper had even more shrinkage, showing 22% and 29%.
    Drying is another issue for me. I wash and dry mine with the shower towels. My flat diapers are dry when the towels are, but the prefold is still damp.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGrey View Post
    Watch the size and shrinkage on cloth. I got a prefold from Changing Times Diaper Co. and found that it shrank 7% in width and 15% in length. I should have bought the next size larger.
    My flat diapers from AdultClothDiaper had even more shrinkage, showing 22% and 29%.
    Drying is another issue for me. I wash and dry mine with the shower towels. My flat diapers are dry when the towels are, but the prefold is still damp.
    Precise percentages you sound like an engineer. IMO flat diaper size doesn't matter so long as it is large enough. One simply folds to the desired size. And besides the size advantage, flat diapers are by far the easiest to wash and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by WBxx View Post
    Precise percentages … you sound like an engineer. IMO flat diaper size doesn't matter so long as it is large enough. One simply folds to the desired size. And besides the size advantage, flat diapers are by far the easiest to wash and dry.
    I would add, though, that "adult-size flats" are mythical beasts, and if you're inclined towards flats, you're better off just finding some flannel sheets with a cute baby print. Flat diapers for babies are commonly 36" square. The AdultClothDiaper.com "Purity" flats go up to 44" square. From this, you can see that any hope of using baby diaper folds like the Origami Fold and Kite Fold is essentially zero; the diapers still end up toddler-sized in the end. D'oh. That takes a lot of the fun out of it.

It also depends on how much rise you want. The teeth on my Snappi fasteners are similar to boingos. They don't do much damage at all. I've been using them for two years on the same cloth diaper that's stupid thick when I stuff it. The fastener is still in great condition as well.

I have a 38 inch waist and I have 3XL plastic pants that fit me ok. You need to measure your legs and see if it fits.