Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming to terms with my future

Default Coming to terms with my future

As some of you may know I'm having a hard time with my current way of life. Instead of going back to my darkness I started thinking about what I want to do.

I"m going back to college. That much is clear I'm in the middle of the deciding from

Here's what I'm thinking from what I'm good at

1. Video game journalism (I'm a awesome gamer, and I often review them for my friends before they buy)
    2. Screenwriter (After I watched sooo many hours of tv. I think I can write my own tv show or movie)

Now the third one is random, but I was thinking about programing. I liked the idea of having my own os built to my specs. If it was successful I would sell it worldwide at a low cost, so to max my profits.

Furthermore to keep my eyes on the prize and to keep my personal darkness away I'll be saving a copy of this post on my laptop, phone and tablet so I remember what I'm working for.

Ps. sorry about all my posts lately, but I'm feeling a bit uneasy about how things are going so far. Talking about it seems to relax me.
    Last edited by KryanAshford; 20-Sep-2014 at 19:58.

Don't be sorry. I post so many post's that sometimes don't even relate to the topic's or whatnot. At least your feeling at ease of yourself. College can be stressful just be careful because unless you know what you are doing you can get stuck with lots of work. The third one is what I am doing "Computer Programming" unless you are doing something totally different. You can always play or do positive things rather than hang out with darkness or negative thoughts that develop inside the head which is what I definitely would hate the most.

Just keep your chin up bro because life will get better around the corner.

Hi, DBM,
    I went back to college later in life and I never regretted it. Now is the time to do it while you're still young. As far as deciding what you should go back for, you've already identified what you do well. The other things you need to consider is what motivates you and what your priorities are going to be in life. Consider the following questions;

Do you want a career where you will earn a lot of money?
    Now I don't know many people who would say no to that, but I found fulfilling work in the non profit sector. I left behind a high income with much better benefits to do it and never regretted it.

What are the chances of employment in your chosen area?
    I think it would be a good idea to sit down with a college advisor or an employment counsellor about the likelihood of a viable career based on what you've chosen. You want to know there will be opportunities available to you after you graduate. A number of colleges have work placements to give students valuable experience. This helps develop concrete working skills and it can allow you to establish contacts in your chosen field.

If you could only choose one career, could you see yourself doing it twenty years from now?
    Although any job has it's good days and bad days, you want to have a career that you find meaningful challenging, and rewarding. You want something that you can look forward to when you wake up in the morning and can't wait to take on the day, preferably something with a chance for advancement and new challenges.

Like you, I also had those 'dark thoughts' and going back to school helped give me self esteem after leaving a home with an abusive father. It took me awhile but I eventually realized I had something to contribute. Now I have a career that I feel very passionate about.. I wish the same for you.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 21-Sep-2014 at 00:21.

If you want to be a reviewer you probably should become an English major. Keep your options open because it's a tough job market out there. I went back to school 13 years ago and got my certification to teach. As it turned out I didn't become a teacher because I got a music directorship for a Methodist church. To add to my salary, I became an instructional assistant since all my church work was done in the evening.

If you're looking into colleges, you should call up their recruitment people and talk to them. Department heads too. They will be happen to speak with you about your interest in different programs, including the pros and cons, job prospects, and all sorts of things like that.

The college thing is a goal that I needed, but I'm going to make it happen. Currently I'm looking for a more stable job to work. My current job pays peanuts and I'm working just to keep myself alive. On Monday I was thinking of getting a hold of a job agency so I could get away from my this job. It's sadly the same thing I did when live with my father. I'm getting paid less for far more work. It's honestly the worst with I've experienced, besides my father's abuse of course.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBabyMagicain View Post
    The college thing is a goal that I needed, but I'm going to make it happen. Currently I'm looking for a more stable job to work. My current job pays peanuts and I'm working just to keep myself alive. On Monday I was thinking of getting a hold of a job agency so I could get away from my this job. It's sadly the same thing I did when live with my father. I'm getting paid less for far more work. It's honestly the worst with I've experienced, besides my father's abuse of course.
    Keep in mind, you've just achieved a significant goal by getting out of your father's home. That in itself was a huge step forward. The rest will come in time. And keep in mind, many of us have started off with lousy paying jobs, it's often a reality in life. But you're doing all the right things and taking the best steps possible. You will get there.

As a professional programmer for almost 50 years (I have been teaching programming at a technical college for the last 13 years, after 36 years in industry), I can recommend it if you have the aptitude and the love for it. Take some introductory courses and see if you enjoy them.

The key to building a successful and fulfilling career is finding something that you like enough that 4 days out of 5 you look forward to going to work.

Operating systems are one of the most complex areas of programming and with the free availability of Linux there is probably not a large market for a new one.

Good luck in going forward to the next phase of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBabyMagicain View Post
    As some of you may know I'm having a hard time with my current way of life. Instead of going back to my darkness I started thinking about what I want to do.

I"m going back to college. That much is clear I'm in the middle of the deciding from

Here's what I'm thinking from what I'm good at

1. Video game journalism (I'm a awesome gamer, and I often review them for my friends before they buy)
    2. Screenwriter (After I watched sooo many hours of tv. I think I can write my own tv show or movie)

Now the third one is random, but I was thinking about programing. I liked the idea of having my own os built to my specs. If it was successful I would sell it worldwide at a low cost, so to max my profits.

Furthermore to keep my eyes on the prize and to keep my personal darkness away I'll be saving a copy of this post on my laptop, phone and tablet so I remember what I'm working for.

Ps. sorry about all my posts lately, but I'm feeling a bit uneasy about how things are going so far. Talking about it seems to relax me.
    A degree in English or something similar would be one way to go. Of course, if you take a look at some of the more popular personalities in the gaming world, you'll see that many of them evolved from bloggers, vloggers, or simply gamers that other people enjoyed watching. They make money through ads and sponsorships. The salaried positions working for EGM and GameSpot and whatnot are a tiny, tiny minority. So, another approach is: Just do it, and be good at it, and hope that it eventually becomes profitable.

Of course, an English degree is useful for more than just game journalism, so it comes with a bit more of a safety net. Still, most of what makes a good game journalist is not what you get from college courses; it's the unique color you bring to the things you write. As they (should) say: Degrees are good for getting jobs, not necessarily for doing or keeping them.

Next, as a professional software developer, it's hard for me to dissuade an aspiring programmer. The one warning I will provide is simply this: Because of how accessible software development is as a hobby, many entering freshmen already have years of experience writing code. Most of my classmates had, like me, been coding throughout high school and even before. Consequently, most bachelor's degree programs (that's really what you need) don't spend much time trying to teach you the basics of coding. If you need those, the learning curve in a computer science degree program may be unbearably steep. howiebabe's suggestion of taking a few one-off courses is probably a good one. See where you fit, whether you like it, and then make an informed decision.
    Last edited by Cottontail; 22-Sep-2014 at 04:36.

I'm am advocate of pursuing one's passion, to a point.

First, is your passion something in which you can reasonably find employment and make money? If the answer is no, stop right now. Stop right now before you piss away a lot of time and money to end up as a very educated Starbucks barista.

Honestly, I'm not convinced either of the first two things offer sufficient employment opportunities to allow for any kind of acceptable return on investment or at least a fair chance of avoiding becoming a barista. Maybe I'm wrong, but you should be sure of that before you invest in an education.

If you passed point 1, then consider how passionate you actually are about your passion. Is it something you could stand to do for 8-10 hours per day? What about five years on? What about going it for a shithead boss or a dicey company? If the answer to any of those is no, stop right now. Stop right now before you destroy a pain and burn yourself out in an entire career field.

In this case, you're probably in good shape. Those all seem like enjoyable fields, ones that would make you the envy of many who wish they could do what you're doing.

Forgive me if I sound harsh or mean. Take it from someone who went to school, was in the working world for eight years, and was finally so stuck of it that going to work literally made me sick to my stomach. Don't chase after unicorns or farts in the wind. Don't try to force something decent into something great. If you can't get a job and make money with it, look for something else. The question is less about you and your enjoyment and more about what value you can add to an employer and society. No value add, no paycheck. Sucks, but them's the breaks.