Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Help with using a pacifier

  1. #1

    Default Help with using a pacifier

    Here's the thing, when I'm sucking on a pacifier I'm not able to relax my mouth and face and still hold the pacifier in.

    Basically when I start to relax the muscles in my face, when I go to sleep for example, my mouth starts to open. The pacifier is still in but I have to hold with my teeth and my mouth is slightly open. I also have a sensation after awhile of a somewhat discomfort and wanting to just spit the pacifier out and be able to close my mouth and relax.

    I've been using a Nuk5 pacifier for a year now, but not regularly just every now and then for a couple of hours or so maybe a bit more sometimes. Also my two front teeth are longer than the other teeth and wider as well, in fact I remember as a kid a dentist explaining that my teeth was bigger than average and as a consequence I had to remove some teeth just so that others that were growing had space to grow. Could that be the reason for this?

    What's your advice and how do I get around this?

  2. #2

    Default

    I used to have this problem to the only ting I can suggest is a bigger size like the nuk 7. I don't want to seem like I'm advertising for them but baby pants have what they call a size 6 paci that I'm able to keep in my mouth with little effort you might try that.

  3. #3
    BrandonSleepypuppy

    Default

    It looks like that this seems to be automatic for you to open your mouth when your using the pacifier. This
    might be subliminal, or it can be done on purpose. Mabey dipping a little bit of flavoring on it will keep you busy. My pacifier i use is very ordinary, and i later on learned to close automatically, even when sleeping or starting to go to bed.

    I am not a professional at this but I hope that helps. Remember, your old methods of not using the pacifier
    when growing up is still inside you, when and how it is "unlocked" is up to you

  4. #4

    Default

    two things i do first i rest a pillow under my paci and it helps hold it in some times, second i buy stretch fabric at walmart in the states half inch wide and tie to both ends of paci around my neck not to tight just enough to hold it there works great!! I also use it around my diapers to help hold them up!!!

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by blablafreckenlover View Post
    I used to have this problem to the only ting I can suggest is a bigger size like the nuk 7. I don't want to seem like I'm advertising for them but baby pants have what they call a size 6 paci that I'm able to keep in my mouth with little effort you might try that.
    I do have a pacifier from baby-pants! Actually three, the ones you're talking about with the bigger shield and nipple.



    Quote Originally Posted by AdagioQuietfoal View Post
    It looks like that this seems to be automatic for you to open your mouth when your using the pacifier. This
    might be subliminal, or it can be done on purpose. Mabey dipping a little bit of flavoring on it will keep you busy. My pacifier i use is very ordinary, and i later on learned to close automatically, even when sleeping or starting to go to bed.

    I am not a professional at this but I hope that helps. Remember, your old methods of not using the pacifier
    when growing up is still inside you, when and how it is "unlocked" is up to you
    It could be that I guess but I'm starting to think that it's my teeth, because after I posted this thread I looked on the mirror and noticed something that I've seen before (of course hehe) but hadn't take into consideration which is that it's not just the upper front teeth that's a bit longer but also the lower front teeth as well.

    I have to consciously apply pressure or suck the pacifier in or else my mouth just naturally opens slightly. Before trying pacifiers again I always thought it was something effortless, it sure seems effortless when babies suck on their pacifiers, so it was and has been frustrating to not be able to properly suck on a pacifier again.

  6. #6

    Default

    Um not to state the obvious but if you are sucking a pacifier it is pretty much impossible to suck and relax your mouth at the same time because the actual sucking is moving those face muscles. When sucking it properly your tongue is what does the actual holding the pacifier in. I am a life long thumb sucker so sucking a pacifier is like second nature to me. But you can not suck and have the muscles relaxed at the same time.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by binkygirl View Post
    Um not to state the obvious but if you are sucking a pacifier it is pretty much impossible to suck and relax your mouth at the same time because the actual sucking is moving those face muscles. When sucking it properly your tongue is what does the actual holding the pacifier in. I am a life long thumb sucker so sucking a pacifier is like second nature to me. But you can not suck and have the muscles relaxed at the same time.
    Explain babies then? XP



    Quote Originally Posted by Johnni View Post
    What's your advice and how do I get around this?
    Teeth and paci's work separate except your teeth or tongue grip on the nipple of the paci so removed teeth should have nothing to do with what you are experiencing.

    I don't know how long you tried using a pacifier maybe your body isn't used to anything being in your mouth while your muscles are trying to relax with you while you are trying to go to bed. You can try putting something yummy on the nipple and your mouth will react to something that is delicious and maybe you can fall asleep easy while your pacifier directly in your mouth. Something very light liquid nothing thick so you don't choke in your sleep. Silicone nipples work wonder and feel better, more durable, and easily comfortable (Sadly I don't have any but I do tons of research) Maybe if you don't have silicone give that a try! Or you would rather be used to a different kind of material. Here's a trick I know some of my friends with pacifier's did.

    *make sure your hands are washed*

    Suck your thumb for at least a minute and try your pacifier. Your mouth will be dry but the nipple your sucking will add moisture and wet to it thus trying to avoid the dry-mouth affect and should make pacifier's life simple and easy. There's another neat way you can always suck your pacifier on the sides of your mouth and look cool with it! ;D Try one of those two methods and report back to Mr. Snivy

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by binkygirl View Post
    When sucking it properly your tongue is what does the actual holding the pacifier in.
    Interesting. I knew babies used their tongues to hold real nipples but I never noticed myself using my tongue on a pacifier. I always use my tongue on my husband though and it works out great. I do not suck on him all night long, but it is plenty satisfying to suck just until I fall asleep.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    There's another neat way you can always suck your pacifier on the sides of your mouth and look cool with it! ;D Try one of those two methods and report back to Mr. Snivy
    I've tried what you said but with no results sadly. I have actually tried sucking on the side of my mouth before and it feels better but it's not the same thing.



    Quote Originally Posted by binkygirl View Post
    Um not to state the obvious but if you are sucking a pacifier it is pretty much impossible to suck and relax your mouth at the same time because the actual sucking is moving those face muscles. When sucking it properly your tongue is what does the actual holding the pacifier in. I am a life long thumb sucker so sucking a pacifier is like second nature to me. But you can not suck and have the muscles relaxed at the same time.
    I don't exactly have a problem holding the pacifier, it's more a problem of having to consciously suck on it preventing me from being able to fall asleep with one or just forget that I have a pacifier on my mouth and go about my business, also my mouth just naturally wants to open or rather the lips don't stay closed unless I conciously make an effort. I just always thought it was different, that you just put a pacifier and it stays without having to worry about it.

    Maybe that's how it's supposed to be. Unfortunately I don't know because I don't remember how it was to suck on a pacifier when I was little. That's the reason why I posted. To see if anybody more enlightened about pacifiers and their magical soothing properties would know what I'm doing wrong or not.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Johnni View Post
    I don't exactly have a problem holding the pacifier, it's more a problem of having to consciously suck on it preventing me from being able to fall asleep with one or just forget that I have a pacifier on my mouth and go about my business, also my mouth just naturally wants to open or rather the lips don't stay closed unless I conciously make an effort. I just always thought it was different, that you just put a pacifier and it stays without having to worry about it.

    Maybe that's how it's supposed to be. Unfortunately I don't know because I don't remember how it was to suck on a pacifier when I was little. That's the reason why I posted. To see if anybody more enlightened about pacifiers and their magical soothing properties would know what I'm doing wrong or not.
    Well I am not really sure what to tell you because when I suck or have my binky in my mouth it is my tongue that is doing the holding it is my mouth even when i am not actively sucking.

Similar Threads

  1. Going outside with pacifier
    By JohnSmithemb in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 23-Feb-2014, 00:38
  2. Pacifier Use.
    By treloarbabe in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-Jul-2013, 13:04
  3. Braces-Friendly Adult Pacifier/Pacifier Analogue?
    By Bearhardt in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-Nov-2012, 01:04
  4. NUK 3 Pacifier
    By TKing1391 in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2011, 02:53
  5. Anyone ever taken a pacifier apart?
    By tinyfish in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-Jun-2011, 23:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.