Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opposite of bedwetting: being unable to sleep if there is anything in your bladder?

Default Opposite of bedwetting: being unable to sleep if there is anything in your bladder?

I have an issue that is like bedwetting in reverse. Instead of sleeping through signals that my bladder is full, I will awaken and be unable to fall back asleep if my bladder has even a little in it. When I'm fully awake I have no problem holding the amount of liquid that is in my bladder at that point. I'm no super-tanker (actually have a pretty small bladder), but 4oz is definitely not my capacity. It doesn't matter whether I drink liquids 2 hours before I go to bed or just before, too.

It is getting progressively worse over time and has become a major contributor to my insomnia. The effort it takes to get out of bed, get dressed at least somewhat, and go relieve myself is often enough to wake me up to where I can't go back to sleep for some time. It's a lose-lose situation. Worst of all is when I wake up on occasion and have at least wet underwear (and occasionally small wet spots on the sheets) which indicates I leaked a small amount which makes me wonder if me being awakened by the smallest amount of liquid in my bladder is justified.

My insomnia has been getting worse in general and eventually I will have to visit a doctor for it (again), but this is something I feel is too awkward to bring up. I have a feeling it is anxiety related, too. I do tend to have high levels of anxiety as well as chronic depression. For either condition they tend to prescribe antidepressants and I just refuse to take those things since for me the side effects were worse than the depression or anxiety. So if this is truly anxiety related I may be SOL.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

This happens to me. I find it hard to sleep f I really have to pee. It doesn't always wake me up if I do manage to fall asleep though (and if it does, I don't always have trouble falling asleep.... sometimes it happens though). And if I drink a lot before bed, I have to go so badly when I wake up that it sometimes hurts. My body would rather let my bladder explode than have me wet the bed. I can do that when awake too. Sometimes I think I have too much bladder control (though there have been a few times recently where I thought I was going to wet myself, but I didn't. I guess I do just have too much control.). And.... I am sorry if I worded all of that in a confusing way.

Anyway, can't you just say you refuse to take antidepressants? They do have bladder control medicines. I mean, there are commercials for them all the time.

Peachy

I only get that feeling when I'm diapered. I.e. when there's a bit of liquid in my bladder, my body insists I go in the diaper before falling asleep. However, the amount is usually so small that I would not get a signal from my bladder at all under normal circumstances.
    Other than that, I'm used to getting up at night to pee. I can do that on auto-pilot - I don't need to be fully awake to find my way to the bathroom, so I can easily go back to sleep right away.

As for you: If you're worried about 'getting dressed' (what ya gotta dress for? ) and making your way to the bathroom, why don't you just keep a bucket or empty bottle near you bed to use as a toilet so you can save yourself the effort of making your way to the bathroom.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    why don't you just keep a bucket or empty bottle near you bed to use as a toilet so you can save yourself the effort of making your way to the bathroom.

Peachy
    that's what i used to do when i didnt feel like wearing diapers to bed... would just keep an empty waterbottle next to my bed in case i had to go at night. my bathroom was way down the hall so it'd be a pain to have to get up

It sometimes happens to me too, and in my case it's clearly a consequence of getting used to diapers, expecially if I'm wearing them often, and it tends to get away if I stay diaperless for some days.

I think it's just a matter of bladder sensitivity: it's not like my bladder holds less than before, simply the alarm in my head goes off way before than it used to do, since wearing diapers means emptying nearly continuously and my mind gets used to the feeling of an empty bladder.

So, if I sleep undiapered after some days/nights in diapers, it's quite likely I'd wake up in the middle of the night with the stimulus to pee, which is obviously quite uncomfortable. On the other hand, after a week or more without diapers (like lately, when I've been away for business 10 for days in a row), when I go back to wearing diapers at night I don't feel the need to wet even though I could do it as much as I can and it takes some time to get used again to wet continuously.

I'm not able to wet while sleeping, but wearing diapers to bed means that when I wake up it's enough to "let go", and then go back to deep sleep without needing to move from my bed. That's the reason why in the past months I've started wearing to bed more and more often.

Hmm, a little different, but I've always had this thing that I have to pee before bed, no matter what. As a kid, this became tradition, to keep me from having to pee in the first 4 hours of sleep, just in case. I got so used to it, that I actually couldn't go to sleep even when I was older if I hadn't peed before bed, even if there was next to nothing there. If there was a detectable amount of pee, I'd have to go, and that's it.

Babykat: it's the exact same way for me.
    It takes me a long time to fall asleep, but by the time I'm almost asleep, my bladder has enough in it that I can't go to sleep without getting up and going to the bathroom. It's extremely annoying.

Do you ever get problems like this during the day too? If you are only getting the problems at night, it could just be that you are noticing it more because you are worrying about it, and that certainly won't help your sleeping. Alternatively if you get some daytime symptoms too, you may have a problem like overactive bladder (as I do) which is not uncommon, especially among males and the actual prevalence of this condition is vastly understated, as we males tend to be bad at going to the doctor, especially with embarrassing conditions like bladder problems.

The bottom line is, if it is causing you trouble, you ought to discuss it with your doctor, as most of the time they can do something to help, or at least give you some ideas of how to help yourself.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by FairestandFallen View Post
    Babykat: it's the exact same way for me.
    It takes me a long time to fall asleep, but by the time I'm almost asleep, my bladder has enough in it that I can't go to sleep without getting up and going to the bathroom. It's extremely annoying.
    That's all too familiar. Also embarrassing, if you happen to be trying to get to sleep while sharing a bed with someone... and you keep waking them up to go pee every half hour until falling asleep And then there's the waking up in the middle of the night, sometimes several times, to go... *frowns* Definitely got my bladder from my mom's side of the family... three of my closest relatives on her side are all on Detrol, but I'm not a fan of pills. They all have overactive bladder; I suspect I do as well.

To the OP: if this is really bothering you (and it sounds like it is), bring it up to a doctor. I understand the embarrassment (it's not like I've gone to a doctor for what I just talked about), but it's a few minutes embarrassment to start dealing with a problem that's losing you hours of sleep.

i'm currently seeing a urologist for urge incontinence / dribbling. Been like this since getting enlarged prostate. Getting up in night was diturbing my wife so much we decided the best bet was me to diaper up at night and use them rather than disturb us both getting up.
    Attends diapers with Gary eurosoft pants and a onesie over stops the bed getting wet.